Post Whole 30 Adventure

almcc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roz - is one, one too many? Did it set off the sugar dragon?

I'm trying to figure out what is too much or doesn't work to eat. And when am I going overboard and too rough on myself. This middie road is hard for me.

Yesterday was day 2 of my whole 7. Feeling better. This is what I ate:

1: eggs, kale, olives, tomato

2: chicken, avo, carrots, olives, watermelon, coconut butter

3: steak, asparagus, onions, peppers, squash, coconut butter

Sunday (day 6) I have a benefit to go to. It's all about food - it should be great. And it benefits the farmers market.

EandK- are you back from vacation. Please tell us how it was!!!

Happy eating.

Ah, i had one BATCH of cookies  :ph34r: About a cup's worth pf almond butter in there & a little dried fruit & cacao powder... I've eaten worse, certainly, & the weight of almond butter in my stomach afterwards made me feel like i'd had quite enough. Sugar Dragon sulking a bit, but so far, so good!

Today's food so far -

Breakfast - pork mince, sweet potato, pineapple chunks, a few cashew pieces & a little sunshine sauce (or Finishing Off Stuff I Found In The Fridge)

Lunch - Asian-style meatballs (from paleOMG - not strictly whole30 as there is honey & tamari in the mix, though only a little) & spring greens

Dinner (later) - "quicken chicken" & some veg... again, not strictly whole30 due to honey in the marinade for the chicken. 

I'm basically going for paleo food, rather than strict whole30 stuff - the restrictions were beginning to make me feel resentful. Though i'm still battling the sugar dragon at regular intervals! I've been keeping away from the dried fruit, as that's definitely food without brakes for me. And each time i've binged on chocolate recently it's been a little less often & with a smaller amount & feeling iller afterwards - maybe, little by little, i'll draw that to a close. Fingers crossed!

My next project is to get my exercise sorted. I do kickboxing once a week. I gave up my weekly bootcamp as i kept hurting my back  :( (tbh i think the trainer forgot that not everyone could lift weights as easily as he could, there was never much work on correct form etc., just "as fast as you can, lift this!"), plus money's a bit tight. So i intend to start some at-home stuff, maybe bodyweight stuff. I just need to get that enthusiasm going! If anyone's got any good motivational tips, throw them this way PLEASE!!  :D

Roz,  I still cannot get on the forum through my phone. Ack.  

The last 3 days have been a trial.  Sunday - I was at a benefit for the framer's market food stamp program.  It features fab food from the best chefs in town and luscious desserts.  All in the spirit of local farm to table.  it was yummy and I tasted everything except the baked peanuts (in the style of baked beans). Was totally compliant Monday and then yesterday had another very long event where I could not bring food or eat compliantly.  Today I am sick with a cold and stomach ickies but I am back at it.  Getting ready to put some bone broth on.

I think your meals sound great, Roz.  Not too far off - which is what you intended.  I am planning to stay Whole-30 compliant till my next event.  Which may be a dinner out with dh next week or I may wait till Parents weekend 10/25-27.

I'll try to get on more regulalry.  Miss being able to do that on my phone.

Forum back up & running, phew! I've missed it for sure :)

I've been on binge city here :( I can't remember what set me off now, probably those cookies. But i've slid back into daily milk chocolate feasts & I'm struggling to climb back out again. And yes, I'm getting adverse symptoms - my nose is snotty, my ears hurt & the inside of my mouth is swollen. Yet still i continue. Ugh. Maybe i _do_ need another 100% no-holds-barred whole30 :rolleyes: Maybe Sunday would be a good start day - 13/10/13 has a certain symmetry about it :lol:

Oh the world of banned foods!  We are sneaking them in as fast as we can!!!  Luckily we're trying to stick to the ones that do the least amount of damage (we hope) such as rice, salt and beer.  Hmmm that doesn't sound so good, but we are trying to eat Korean food and Sushi and avoid the pizzas and burgers that sound so tempting.

It's amazing isn't it how fast our bodies tell us how unhappy they are - and equally amazing how our brains choose to ignore that information.  At least mine does!  Tonight we're going out to eat, but hopefully tomorrow we are back on track.  I'm not going to commit to a true Whole30 for this month of baked treats, but I am going to commit to a month of pure paleo - I think.  :)

Glad the forum is back working - must have been frustrating!  

yay - I can get the forum on my phone!! yippee!!!

Roz- I'm with you. I need another 100% whole 30.  I seem to be able to manage a few days and then I go off.  the one great and it is great thing - I keep returning to whole 30.  Did you start today?  I have another "do" in 2 weeks with no hope of choosing or taking compliant food.  So for the moment I am 100% compliant unless I eat out. Then I do middle of the road.  After 10/27 I'm doing a whole 30 before thanksgiving.

EandK - I am amazed at how much my body screams when I eat something not good for me. I am trying to remember the horror so that I don't do to again.  getting better at that.  Korean food sounds yum!!

Happy eating.

I am starting again TODAY, no more excuses :) It's all gone very downhill the past few weeks, there's been daily chocolate binges, resulting in earache, stomach ache, low mood & a head full of snot. Lurvely! :lol: So no better time than the present - especially as i have a big box of homemade crunchy pork rinds as my disposal. Plus we've been a bit short on money & i added up the cost of my secret chocolate binges - around £14 a week :o Yikes!!

Yesterday was ok, though i did eat a LOT of crunchy pork rinds :ph34r: By the evening i was feeling a bit queasy :lol: I noticed that i slept much more deeply last night too, even though i was disturbed by my OH vigorously scratching his foot around 4am (it's like sharing a bed with a Labrador sometimes!).

Today, so far so good, i had a breakfast of minced beef, chorizo & shredded turnips & will have some leftover meatloaf for lunch. Now i just need to run the gauntlet of a quick supermarket shop without buying any junk :D

Happy eating!

I survived the supermarket trip :lol:

So far so good. Rebelliously made a recipe called "Rosemary Loaf" this afternoon, though it's actually just a frittata made in a loaf tin. Might have a hunk or two for breakfast :)

I feel like I'm sleeping better - that kind of on/off & no grogginess - & my mood seems better, though i did just nearly bite my OH's head off for suggesting i might want to go to the pub :lol: I haven't had a drink in over 6 years, I'm not sure why he thinks I'll suddenly change now.

Here's to happy eating!

Roz- woo hoo for not diving into the buttons. A nap is definitely better.

I hope everything is going well. Yesterday was a bust food wise. Today has been compliant although I have not followed the template. Plan on starting the template-following part tomorrow. happy eating

Roz-when is you appointment. I see someone regularly and it helps me to stay on track. I've been doing ok - except for the potato chips. I must learn to make sweet potato fries.

This weekend -I have one final weekend long event where I don't control the food and can't bring food. After that I'm to start a whole 30. Are you up for one? Let me know. I think I'll post a log over in the whole 30 log section.

I just got Well Fed 2 in the mail. Have you gotten it yet? I'm going to look over it tomorrow. Excited.

Happy eating!!

So jealous you got Well Fed 2 already! :lol: I pre-ordered my copy back in Spring, but the UK release isn't until the beginning of November. Maybe it will be earlier, now it's out over there.

My PT appointment is on Thursday. I'm trying to get straight in my head what to ask for. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll just mumble some rubbish about "getting in shape" & she'll have me doing an hour on the elliptical followed by some curls with pink dumbbells :D She does run a "fat loss" club where they put all their members on a near-as-dammit-Paleo diet, so hopefully we'll be singing from the same hymn sheet.

I'm still not sure i can fully commit to another whole30 :rolleyes: I'm allegedly doing one now, though I've already made "little" exceptions, like a spoon of honey in a marinade. Sigh. I'm thinking of calling it a Best I Can 30 :lol: If i promise to start again Monday it'll lead to a messy weekend with the Cadburys ;)

Happy eating!

I ate chocolate this weekend.  I'd purchased some of those dariy free paleo chocolate chips to use for baking for kid stuff, but I opened them and ate them by the handful.  They were good.  If we'd had a bar of dark chocolate (or milk chocolate) sitting around, I'd have eaten that too.  And now I have a cold and I know I'd best get my act in gear.  It's so much easier to think positively in the morning.  By two in the afternoon, I have a whole different attitude.

I'm gonna try to have an on board week.  The tricky thing is just how fast the snacking comes back in.  Even if I'm snacking on Real foods, I'm still doing that prowling around the kitchen behavior which ultimately leads to some type of creatively concocted cuisine rich in almonds.

Good luck on your Monday!  

Snacking at night is still an issue for me - it usually is a desserty type thing after dinner - when I am not hungry.Today I went way off road and treated myself to long-missed foods.  Flour-free peanut butter cookies. I ate 4 of them in the car. :o crap. :wacko:  Thankfully I had only purchased 4. :huh:   I feel like I really need the structure of a whole 30 or I'm going to end up back where i started in March.  But then again I do feel like I have made headway.  So I think I will start the whole 30 on Monday to get the sugar demon/dragon reigned in.  

This is tough.  Or am I making it tough?

Here's to taking care of ourselves.

We did our first Whole30 in April and I think we've done it twice since then.  Even though I slip and slide and sneak back in the foods that don't help my system, I'm still eating far better than before.  I think of that when I'm being hard on myself.  My new sense of normal is far healthier which means my new sense of cheating is also far healthier overall.  It's definitely a process and I think it takes time.  Heck - four decades of eating SAD foods is a lot to overturn in just half a year.  So, no, I don't think you're making it tough.  I think it is tough and at some point it becomes more natural.  We'll get there.

Archived