What's the best crock pot?

Jessica Precht

My current crock pot, which I use frequently, is not very good. I'd like to slow cook a chicken while I'm at work but the low setting leaves me with dry, stringy meat in a bowl of liquid. I'd like some of that liquid still in the meat, you know?  I came home from work early this week to find the chicken fully cooked after only 4 hours, so that is probably the problem. I am going to replace the thing and I'm willing to spend enough money to get something good. 

My 1st thought was to find a crock pot where you can program the temperature, not just trust whatever the manufacturer thinks is right for high or low. For instance, if I want my chicken to cook to 165°,

wouldn't it be great to set the crock pot to 165°? It couldn't possibly overcook like that. The meat would (eventually) come to a perfect temperature all the way through. NPR has a podcast on that and it was really interesting. 

Unfortunately, I can't find anything like that.

Here's the best of what I have found. Does anyone have something to add that might help me choose?

Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker - Programmable Slow Cooker With Spoon/Lid (33967) - no temp program but it does have a "probe" setting with an attached thermometer. It will drop the heat to warm when it reaches the right temperature. Will that do what I want it to do? Or will it cook on 300° until the whole item is done, thereby overcooking the white meat? $49.99

Cuisinart MSC-600 3-In-1 Cook Central Multi-Cooker: Slow Cooker, Brown/Saute, Steamer, 7-quart (recommended by Tom in another post) - the metal insert is light. Can brown/saute meat. Lid fits well. Although it has temperature settings, the ability to change the slow cooker setting is limited to high/low/simmer. Is the low setting low enough not to overcook a chicken? $159

Rival with touchscreen - recommended by cooks illustrated - the "low" setting is not too hot like most modern crocks. Lots of anecdotal recommendations but the Amazon reviews are mixed. It appears that Rival brand is the same as Crock Pot. I think it's this one: Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker $79.99

On the other hand, you can get a Rival in 18 QUART size which would make for a great thanksgiving turkey! $49.99

I have both the crockpot touch screen 6.5 qt and the Cuisinart 3 in 1. I found it very interesting that my crockpot brand bubbles fiercely when I make bone broth on low and my cuisinart just slowly percolates. I have had my Crockpot for a few years so I am not sure if it's always been this way or has it just recently gone whacky.

I love my Cuisinart. It's so nice to be able to brown meats and vegetables for stews etc. The flavor is much deeper and with the Cuisinart, it all happens in one pot.

I'm trying to link to the Cuisinart one, but it brings me to a historical romance forum. 

I still have my original, bright orange Rival crockpot from the '70s.  Low is very low and means stews take 12-16 hours instead of 6-8.  High is fine.  I am so used to it, it doesn't bother me.  But I really like the idea of one I can use to brown meat in first.  My relationship with this crock pot has lasted longer than most of my relationships with people, so I feel disloyal bringing another one home while this one still works.

My current crock pot, which I use frequently, is not very good. I'd like to slow cook a chicken while I'm at work but the low setting leaves me with dry, stringy meat in a bowl of liquid. I'd like some of that liquid still in the meat, you know?  I came home from work early this week to find the chicken fully cooked after only 4 hours, so that is probably the problem. I am going to replace the thing and I'm willing to spend enough money to get something good. 

Chicken will definitely be fully cooked in 4-6 hours on low in every slow cooker.

I did a ton of research before I bought my second slow cooker and discovered that they all cook to about 225 degrees F. Some have more bells & whistles than others but the inexpensive ones work as well as the $200 one.

Cooks Illustrated rates the current Crock-Pot highest in their recent equipment test - I believe it's around $40. I'd buy it & use the extra $160 for food to cook in it :D

I'm trying to link to the Cuisinart one, but it brings me to a historical romance forum.

I still have my original, bright orange Rival crockpot from the '70s. Low is very low and means stews take 12-16 hours instead of 6-8. High is fine. I am so used to it, it doesn't bother me. But I really like the idea of one I can use to brown meat in first. My relationship with this crock pot has lasted longer than most of my relationships with people, so I feel disloyal bringing another one home while this one still works.

Lol on the romance forum. Tom has the Cuisinart in his shop on his website. Also if you go to Amazon and type in Cuisinart 3 in 1, it will pull right up.

I love having two slowcookers. Just yesterday, I cooked bone broth in one and chicken in the other. I tend to use my older Crockpot for bone broth and my 3 in 1 for meals because of the browning feature.

I love having two slowcookers. Just yesterday, I cooked bone broth in one and chicken in the other. I tend to use my older Crockpot for bone broth and my 3 in 1 for meals because of the browning feature.

Hmmm.  Hadn't thought about having two.  I have several smaller ones I use when entertaining to keep apps warm.  Not big enough to really cook with.  Maybe then i wouldn't feel like I was jilting my beloved old dinosaur. 

PS  I also have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer from probably the 50s.  It weighs several thousand tons and gives me a hernia every time I try to haul it out of the cabinet.  I guess I just have a 'thing' for old kitchen appliances.

• 3 years later...

I second @NonoDorito's suggestion of buying a programmable crock pot. I love mine and often set it to cook overnight so that when we wake up in the morning, the meal is finished, the house smells amazing, and I just have to shut it off (goes to warm mode when cooking time is completed) and leave the house for work. It cools over a few hours and we heat up individual portions for meals going forward and refrigerate the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 7 crockpots!!! Not counting those free baby ones for dip... all, except my last, are the old fashioned type you move the dial from low or high to warm manually. So when the nest emptied of children and there wasn't anyone home early enough to turn the switch, we began arriving home to charred food swimming in yuck...so I bought the Hamilton beach, and LOVE it. Roasted a chicken with the probe, it reset the temp and kept it warm until we got home. Pulled meat from bones, threw bone and vegs back in and made bone broth in it. First successful coagulation!! Only concern with a crock now is bigger isn't necessarily better with two at home. I'm going to keep my biggest (7 Qt) crock for brothing, and donate other dinosaurs to a homeless shelter where there is someone to turn the knob to warm!!

I also have the Hamilton Beach one and it's the best slow cooker I've ever used. I don't know if you will be able to do exactly what you want, but you can program it specifically for a length of time to cook on hi or lo. Never used the probe so I don't know if that would work as you want.

I used this website in deciding which slow cooker to buy and I do not regret it - http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-slow-cooker/

Archived