Starting Whole30 September 1st.

kacheentemple

I am starting my Whole 30 on September 1st. I already follow a paleo template, but still ocassionally eat grassfed dairy, organic corn, and organic honey. The hardest part for me will be going a whole month without bacon. The only bacon I have found is made with sugar, so I will need to substitute something else for my breakfast. I always have 2 eggs, 1 slice of bacon, and either a banana or veggie/fruit smoothie. Maybe I'll just add an extra egg, and some coconut oil. I let my husband read the sight, he said he would start Oct. 1st. He said after faire season (he is a pirate :S). Said when at the faire (renneaisance faires) he wants to eat the prepared food, and drink his alchohol. He did say other than at faire he would try the program, so that's a start :) He gave up glutten around June, but has kept his diet the same otherwise. Well, that's enough rambling for now, good luck to everyone else starting this program!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the faires sound interesting - do you get really involved and dress up and take on characters? I can imagine part of the experience is eating the food, and drinking, so if that's something you're passionate about it would be hard to give it up.

perhaps if you mention what area you're in, someone could let you know if they get compliant bacon around there? or, would prosciutto be a decent alternative to you? I like it more than bacon, and find it has the same saltiness....

3-4 eggs is a decent protein portion for a meal (should be as many eggs as you can hold) - then add your fat and vegies. you'll be good til your next meal! also remember you don't need to have breakfast food first thing. try to think of meal 1, 2, 3 instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner. if you do this the possibilities are endless :)

My daughter (16) and I are starting our first Whole30 on September 2. I've been wheat and gluten free for a year and grain free for a month. I saw some health improvements since going off of wheat but not nearly as much as I wanted. I love the idea of Whole30 retraining our bodies and minds on the best way to eat. It was way to easy to find grain free versions of muffins and other food that just kept us wanting more. My daughter is a cross country runner so I'd love tips on how to get her the post workout, pre-race and post-race nutrition that she needs.

I will also be started this Whole30 adventure on 9/1. I'm new to paleo eating so this will be interesting. I also have gluten intolerance, but I'm mainly doing this because I have issues with fatigue, brain-fog, and severe seasonal allergies. And, as a graduate student, the brain-fog and fatigue has really become a problem. For the past year I've been eating a modified vegan/ gluten-free diet, hoping it would help with my symptoms, but it didn't. So, I would love any tips on cooking with meat and recipes (my go to protein source is a can of beans which is a no no now) and I'm hoping you guys will help keep me on track. 

Those are some good tips Amber, I have never had proscuitto before, will have to keep my eyes open for it. I don't get into the renn faires like he does, he actually is one of the entertainers for the Great Lakes Renn. in Geneva, OH. He also does reanactments like this coming weekend for the longships event in Erie, PA. They have real vessels they sail inland, I think it about 9 ships total. I unfortunatly don't have the scgedule to do these ebents, he has weekends off, but I work retail, so hardly ever off. I live in Ravenna in NEOhio (near Kent State University if that helps at all) I have a local farmer, but she doesn't have bacon year round. She should have some very soon though.

Lindsey, you should joins us! Glad you and your daughter are on board photomom! Hope it helps!

Cargy welcome aboard! The transition will be tough, but it is worth it! Going paleo is one of the best decisions I have ever made! I have lost over 125 lbs. since January, no longer need meds for allergies/acid reflux, and feel soooo much better :)

I am in IPMG on Facebook, it is a great community where everyone is very helpful, I highly reccommend it! My name is Jessica Ross, you can add me as a friend if you want, and message me with questions, I love making new paleo friends! They post alot of good recipes.

Day one went well, had a lazy food day. For brunch I had suateed peppers, onion, and mushrooms with 2 fried eggs on top, & 1/2 an apple. Before I went for a hike in the woods with my hubby, had some raw carrot and raisens, for dinner made stuffed mushrooms, and stole a few bites of hubbys baked sweet potato.

Good luck for those starting tomorrow! Keep posting here so we can encourage eachother :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I made it through yesterday pretty easily. I had eggs with veggies in the AM, a salad with chicken and fruit for lunch, and veggies and meatballs for dinner with watermelon for dessert. I ate dinner at 6:30 and ate until I was full, but still felt hungry by 8. My body is used to an after dinner snack so I'm going to have to kill that habit quickly.

Today's kind of a rough day though. I woke up and had to complete an online quiz for one of my school courses, yet my brain feels like mush. It's almost like an out of body experience. Is that normal? I'll keep you guys posted on how the rest of the day goes. I'm hoping to buy a crock pot later! 

Thanks for the warm welcome! I made it through yesterday pretty easily. I had eggs with veggies in the AM, a salad with chicken and fruit for lunch, and veggies and meatballs for dinner with watermelon for dessert. I ate dinner at 6:30 and ate until I was full, but still felt hungry by 8. My body is used to an after dinner snack so I'm going to have to kill that habit quickly.

Today's kind of a rough day though. I woke up and had to complete an online quiz for one of my school courses, yet my brain feels like mush. It's almost like an out of body experience. Is that normal? I'll keep you guys posted on how the rest of the day goes. I'm hoping to buy a crock pot later!

"Brain fog" is completely normal!! Make sure you really stick to the template. fats at every meal - not sure if you included any? - and starchy vegie carbs more so than fruit, will help you get through the first couple of weeks!

Hi all! I'm actually starting today, 9/2, but I thought I would jump on this board if that's okay! This will be my 3rd Whole30. I feel so much better but I think I am still relying on nut butters (yum) and fruit a little too much. Still feel like I have some healing to do.

I have started to train for another half and with my first Whole 30 in April I was having a hard time adjusting to it energy wise. The past month or so I am running much better. My knees are also manageable. I wasn't sure I would be able to run consistently anymore as of last March as my knees were constantly hurting. I am so grateful for this program. Losing the ability to leave the house for a run was a very stressful prospect as it is my source of sanity with three kids and a husband  :)

I did not expect this at all but my husband (who grows wheat) actually jumped on board last month. He isn't 100% committed all of the time but he has probably lost 25 pounds and feels great. It is so very nice to have that support and I am so impressed with him!

So for this Whole 30 my goals are to consistently train and lessen my reliance on fruit and nut butters.

I decided to start today as well. I've been curious about the Paleo lifestyle since I joined my first CrossFit gym, since then I've had success eliminating grains, but I've slipped back to my old habits.  I've wanted to do a Whole30 since I read It Starts With Food last year, I even "tried" in 2012 but I only made it a week before I got discouraged and gave up. This time around I am doing it not for weight loss, but for health! I'm tired of hurting and feeling like crap, and picking up every bug that comes through, and feeling controlled by sugar!

I'm confident I can be successful this month as long as I plan well and keep myself accountable by posting online! My husband is very supportive but isn't willing to try with me. I understand because he is very busy (military police, little down time, has to eat meals on the run) and the only way he can remain compliant is if I cook all of his meals for him and that just isn't realistic!!

So if its not too late I'd like to take the journey with you all and hear your stories. Good luck!

Welcome Farmgirl and Becky! The more the merrier! Day 2 so far so good. I almost forgot to weigh before I started, did that this morning. I am starting at 225, I need to remember to take my measurments when I get home tonight. Hubby is grumbling already, he already cheated, but at least he is eating better, any little bit helps. Good luck to those starting today, I give kudos to those jumping in full tilt from SAD eating, at least I don't have to go through the transition, but I remember that, no fun. Just stay strong, and remember the mantra "It's only a month!" :-D Hopefully by the time it is over you'll not want to go back. People keep saying that hopefully I can keep the weight off, and I say I know I will, because I am not going to go back to eating foods my body doesn't like.

I started my first Whole30 on 9/1 as well. For me, trying to kick start my weight loss and just become more healthy are my goals. I recently finished my Ph.D. and began a tenure-track academic job, so I feel like this will be a fresh new start for me. 

I've been eating buffalo chicken salads with paleo ranch for lunch. I made slow cooker carnitas with avocado dressing and a green salad for dinner last night, and this evening I had ginger lime shrimp and coconut green beans from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed.

The one thing I am SORELY missing is cream in my coffee. I tried coconut milk this morning but was grossed out by it. Sigh.

Hi everyone!

I started the Whole30 yesterday (9/1) and I'm doing alright so far. I tried doing an unofficial 30 days of eating clean/ whole foods about 3 weeks ago and it only lasted 7 days before I got week and ate 3 gluten free oreo-like cookies :( after that I just went on a binge! I felt like crap, physically and emotionally!

Anyway, here I am and I'm determined to finish this Whole30 like a champ! I know I can do this (please excuse my little pep talk)! I also know it's going to be challenging and I will definitely need some support.

Good luck to everyone!

I made it through Day 2! Onto day 3! Last night, I had that craving again to have a snack around 8pm (even though I went to bed at 8:30), but I'm learning how to differentiate between hunger and cravings. I think movement and stretching helps my body signal being full, so I may use that as my guide. Besides the late night cravings, yesterday went surprisingly well. My energy level stayed constant all day (pretty low energy, but not fluctuations) and I did not find myself hungry between meals. Even with the fatigue, I was able to complete a workout pretty well. Today is back to school day after the long weekend, so we'll see how I do.

I started my first Whole30 on 9/1 as well. For me, trying to kick start my weight loss and just become more healthy are my goals. I recently finished my Ph.D. and began a tenure-track academic job, so I feel like this will be a fresh new start for me. 

I've been eating buffalo chicken salads with paleo ranch for lunch. I made slow cooker carnitas with avocado dressing and a green salad for dinner last night, and this evening I had ginger lime shrimp and coconut green beans from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed.

The one thing I am SORELY missing is cream in my coffee. I tried coconut milk this morning but was grossed out by it. Sigh.

I am on day 3 having started on 9/1.  I am not missing the cream in my coffee, but the sweetener.  I am used to having sugar or honey since I gave up on the dairy years ago.  But, I do find that when I drink a whole bottle of water while waiting for the coffee to brew, then the coffee is less important to me (especially since it doesn't fit my taste pallet any longer).  Good luck - oh, and can you send me the recipe for the slow cooker carnitas with avocado dressing? [email protected].

Hi everyone!

I started the Whole30 yesterday (9/1) and I'm doing alright so far. I tried doing an unofficial 30 days of eating clean/ whole foods about 3 weeks ago and it only lasted 7 days before I got week and ate 3 gluten free oreo-like cookies :( after that I just went on a binge! I felt like crap, physically and emotionally!

Anyway, here I am and I'm determined to finish this Whole30 like a champ! I know I can do this (please excuse my little pep talk)! I also know it's going to be challenging and I will definitely need some support.

Good luck to everyone!

You CAN do it!  

I am officially on Day 3, round 2!! I decided to do another round because I hated how I felt when I was including non-paleo foods back into my "diet". I am also currently training for my very first full marathon in October and found that eating paleo has significantly helped in my training to be able to run longer and faster!!

I am officially on Day 3, round 2!! I decided to do another round because I hated how I felt when I was including non-paleo foods back into my "diet". I am also currently training for my very first full marathon in October and found that eating paleo has significantly helped in my training to be able to run longer and faster!!

I'm very impressed that your training for a marathon throughout this! What marathon are you doing? I crawled my way through 4 miles this morning and it was not pretty. I'm finding it hard to find the motivation/energy to get out the door to run. 

Hi. I hope it's not too late to join. I started on Sept 2 after reading ISWF and would like a place to go for extra support. I usually eat pretty well but wanted to make some changes to my diet to hopefully alleviate my reflux and other aches and pains. The problem I am having so far is not the elimination of certain foods ( ok, I miss my glass of wine), but adding in the fats and oils. I agree that things do taste better when cooked with ghee, coconut oil etc, but I'm terrified that in my pursuit to improve my health, I will gain weight. I exercise most days and have limited fruits and nuts, but it will take a bit to retrain my mind. I'll get there, but I'm a bit stubborn ( just ask DH!)

Hi. I hope it's not too late to join. I started on Sept 2 after reading ISWF and would like a place to go for extra support. I usually eat pretty well but wanted to make some changes to my diet to hopefully alleviate my reflux and other aches and pains. The problem I am having so far is not the elimination of certain foods ( ok, I miss my glass of wine), but adding in the fats and oils. I agree that things do taste better when cooked with ghee, coconut oil etc, but I'm terrified that in my pursuit to improve my health, I will gain weight. I exercise most days and have limited fruits and nuts, but it will take a bit to retrain my mind. I'll get there, but I'm a bit stubborn ( just ask DH!)

Mahaley - I think most have been brought up to be "scared" of fat. Don't be! It'll make your experience a lot better (and easier) if you make friends with fat :) cook with it, add it to your meals, and enjoy it!

Homemade mayo is my personal favourite - it's delicious on practically everything! I also like coconut butter, and coconut milk is great in curries or soup.

Archived