Starting Whole30 September 1st.

kacheentemple

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day six going good.

Welcome Helga! Good luck taming the sugar dragon! Thanks for sharing your mayo recipe. I like the idea of using the whole egg instead of just the yolk.

LauraP, thanks for sharing that site, I see a few recipes I want to try.

That workout class last night kicked my butt! I love it, had that good body ache all day. Lookin' forward to the next class Sunday morning.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Hey everyone -- day 6 went fine.  I was even able to turn down the offer of an alcoholic beverage and non paleo dinner offer and came home and had some more water and fixed my self something that was appropriate.  I am excited for this day.  It is Saturday - which is a very busy one for us since we own and operate a country convenience store.  Luckily I am free to do all our own cooking in the kitchen in the back and usually have plenty of time to do that.  Well, gotta run.  Yall stay strong and have an Awesome Day 7!!!!!

I'm glad day 6 went well for everyone! I'm still having trouble with sugar cravings post-dinner, but I am able to recognize them now as just cravings and distract myself. I also had an obstacle last night because my fiance surprised me with a home cooked dinner that was not whole30 compliant. Luckily, I got home right as he was about to mix the ingredients together and told him what I could and could not have. Dinner still tasted great and potential disaster averted!

Anyway, My energy level today is way up! I woke up without an alarm at 5:45 ready to take on the day. Usually I have to drag my butt out of bed, drink a whole cup of coffee, then I can think about being awake. Today is farmer's market Saturday (my favorite day of the week), so I'm excited to restock my produce for a reasonable price. Happy Day 7!

I'm glad day 6 went well for everyone! I'm still having trouble with sugar cravings post-dinner, but I am able to recognize them now as just cravings and distract myself. I also had an obstacle last night because my fiance surprised me with a home cooked dinner that was not whole30 compliant. Luckily, I got home right as he was about to mix the ingredients together and told him what I could and could not have. Dinner still tasted great and potential disaster averted!

Anyway, My energy level today is way up! I woke up without an alarm at 5:45 ready to take on the day. Usually I have to drag my butt out of bed, drink a whole cup of coffee, then I can think about being awake. Today is farmer's market Saturday (my favorite day of the week), so I'm excited to restock my produce for a reasonable price. Happy Day 7!

You might also try drinking a full glass or 1/2 bottle of water right as you wake up before your coffee.  I used to crawl to the coffee pot also, and now having my coffee without sugar it just isn't as rewarding.  lol  I am still struggling with making mayo.  I'm going to try again today.  

So this is my day 7 of my Whole30. I have to say it has been relatively easy since I do almost all my cooking at home. I tried the other day to make homemade mayonnaise and although I followed the instructions and video, it failed (I was using the blender and the room temp, pour slow method).

But I succeeded today! Whoo Hoo! I borrowed my dad's immersion (stick) blender and followed these instructions. Very yummy and easy just as they say.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/07/07/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Now to decide what to do with my chicken breasts and veggies for tonight's gourmet (not) meal.  lol

Hey everyone- it's day 6 for me and so far so good. I have Danielle Walker's chilli in the crock pot, I hope it is tasty, it smells divine.

Laura- Glad to hear you could make the mayo, you could make some chicken salas with mayo and veggies on a bed of assorted greens. Danielle Walker has a great recipe of chicken salad with mayo and curry, grapes, cashews, etc., it is currently my favorite.

Have a great Saturday!

Happy day 7 everyone! We are1/4 of the way their!

LauraP, way to stay strong! Glad your mayo finally worked for you :)

Cargy, I am glad your energy level is up :) Farmers market day is my fave too! Mine is Thursdays :)

Helga, chili sounds wonderful, especially on these cooler nights we have been having in Ohio. What did you put in your chili? I have only made it once since giving up beans, and it didn't do it for me.

Started brewing some bone broth last night, it smells delish :) I am gonna let it keep at it till tomorrow. Should be perfect by then. I have fitness class round 2 tomorrow (still feeling the burn from Thursdays session!) Should be fun!

Everyone enjoy your weekend!

Do you think this method would work with the magic bullet?  I used my blender with the warm ingredients and drizzling the oil very slowly, but it failed.  I might (MIGHT) have saved it with mixing it into an additional egg yolk.  I'll know later or tomorrow when it thickens.  Maybe my egg was too small.  Just curious about your dump method.  

Just so you know -- it does NOT work with the magic bullet.

My day 8 is going fine.  Will be working with some left over veggies and meats tonight so nothing to special.  But tomorrow is Salmon....hum, wondering how I should dress it up.  My husband is reading the Whole30 It Starts With Food so he can understand why I am doing this and he is actually coming around to understanding things.  Yippee.  Well, yall have a blessed Sunday and my day of grocery shopping will be tomorrow or Tuesday so we'll see what fun I find then.  

LauraP: I really like salmon done simple, with salt and pepper and lemon. Served with asparagus and maybe mashed cauli? Make me want to go get some salmon, lol.

I'm running a little behind all y'all, only on day 5. But feeling good (other than the aching muscles from my 7 mile hike yesterday -- longest I've done). My first time around, I remember this being when I started feeling draggy and just uuuugh, but I'm ok right now. Maybe because I knew what to expect? Or I knew to throw more veggies (aka sweet potatoes) in my breakfast? I feel like I'm breezing through. I've even managed to go out to dinner a couple times and had no problems staying compliant (getting more comfortable with asking questions about the food).

Also! I read the label on my salsa that I'd been buying. It's compliant, but I realized that in 2 tablespoons (their recommended serving), there is 10% of the recommended limit for sodium. WHAT. Luckily, that was before my shopping trip, and I determined then and there to buy the ingredients to make my own salsa. Which I did today, and I had some with my Meal 2 of eggs, zucchini, and green pepper, and it was delicious.

My salsa recipe, in case you're about to ask: 6 Roma tomatoes, 3 garlic cloves, 1/2 yellow onion, 2 jalapenos, a healthy dash of cumin, healthy sprinkle of salt. Chop the veggies as chunky or finely as you like (or blend them into a liquid). And that's it! 

Hi all! I hope everyone has had a good weekend. I passed my first test this weekend when we went camping and I maintained my compliance. Yeah! I love roasted marshmallows and they sure smelled good. It was a lot of prep work, but I managed with a portable stove, a campfire and a cooler.

Laura, glad the mayo worked out. My second batch finally turned out but I cheated with olive oil instead of avocado ( too expensive to fail twice)

I tried to do some of the weekly cook up today which will hopefully take some of the stress out of the meals. My goal for this week is to venture out even further into the veggie world. I'm good with lettuce, kale and spinach, etc. I'm tackling cabbage this week. Does anyone have any good ideas on how they like to prepare it?

Have a good week!

Hello everyone, Happy Sunday!

Kacheen- I used brisket, it was really good but chili is too spicy for my taste. I don't mind if it's hot but it is too full of spices. My palate gets a little overwhelmed haha. So, for me, it's really good but I'll eat once in a while. I already froze the leftovers.

Mahaley- I eat coleslaw all the time. Most of the recipes use sugar or honey but the paleo mom has one that is really good here's the link

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/recipe-best-creamy-coleslaw.html

I have also seen some recipes where they just sort of wilt it with ground beef, but I haven't tried it yet.

I am glad Sunday is almost over, I am a SAHM but the weekend always poses more temptations than usual, even though I am always home! Today I felt very tired, I was eagerly waiting my 2 year old's nap to take one myself. It was day 7 for me, I hope I'll have more energy tomorrow.

Hope you have a lovely evening and a great Monday tomorrow.

Thanks Helga. The recipe looks yummy! I am beginning to realize that I have a lot of negative memories when it comes to veggies and it's time to change it! My mom used to make cole slaw with vinegar and celery seeds . Yuck. My Dad was very picky with his veggies, no tomatoes, no peppers, no cucumbers, etc so we had plain veggies with/ without butter and iceberg lettuce. In all fairness to my mom we lived overseas for several years and fresh or assorted veggies were not readily available. Whole 30 is changing my attitude and expanding my veggie palate and my kids' as well.

Happy Monday!

Hi all,

We have the first full week behind us- woo hoo!  I have a quick question for you all regarding how you're feeling.  I've been waking up with headaches, and have a very gurgly, gassy stomach at night (sorry for the TMI)... I can post a few days worth of food, if it would help, but I haven't noticed any patterns that would suggest a sesitivity or anything like that.  Is this all part of the process of healing?  Everything else is under control, except for being VERY sick of eggs I had a great first weekend and feel pretty proud of myself.  I turned down, and I'm not kidding:

- Pizza

- Chocolate fudge

- Hummus

- Homemade pie

- Macadamia pudding.

I mean, really.  Quit that, food gods, I'm sorry I left you but it's time to move on! :-)

Also,  a question about a tasty farmer's market find: they had dried Kale "chips" that were seasoned.  I read the ingredients, and two of the four flavors were fine but I'm not sure if they are a good idea.  I know chips aren't recommended, but I can assure you that nothing has every reminded me less of a chip in my life.  It's literally a dried leaf.  Reminds me of dried fruit, only in vegetable form.  Any thoughts?

I'm on Day 8...Well Fed Chocolate Chilli is simmering right now. I was really bloated for a few days last week but it seems to be a good bit better now. And I'm PMSing, I just realized. My energy has been good for the most part but I'm feeling pretty achy from my workouts. We'll see what this week brings! 

Day 9 is treating me well! Day 8 was kind of scary- I almost passed out on my usual morning run after only 15 min of running. I felt really lightheaded and dizzy. I was exhausted for the rest of the day after that run. I think my sodium intake has drastically decreased by cutting out processed foods; so I will increase my sodium and water intake. 

Despite the scariness of day 8, day 9 has been awesome! My energy levels have been consistently high today. I was the only student in my class still awake at the end of our 10 hour long Monday. I was very impressed. Hopefully this energy will continue into tomorrow.

BecFreeby: My first whole30, I was miserable toward the end of the first week while my body adjusted to the new way of eating. I felt hungover, headachey and tired and not happy at all.

Mahaley: I just made a cabbage dish tonight! I used a recipe from Practical Paleo that has onions, red cabbage, and green apples seasoned with rosemary, salt, and apple cider vinegar. So good! (I've never been a cabbage lover, but I went back for seconds of this.)

My day 6 flew by. Lunch didn't fill me up very well, though (leftover chicken and carrot and celery sticks), so I was left hungry on my drive home, but I knew I was coming home to a crockpot full of delicious pork, so that made it better. And now I have cabbage and pork for breakfast, and cabbage and pork for lunch, and cabbage and pork for dinner...OK, not dinner tomorrow (tuna burgers and a big green salad!).

Classes start for me tomorrow morning and I'm slowly starting to see how busy my schedule will be for this year. It's a good busy, but the thought of having less time to plan meals and prep everything is making me a little anxious. I don't want' to sacrifice the variety I've had in my meals but I know I won't have the free time I used to. 

It's funny though, on day 5 I couldn't believe it'd only been 5 days. Now I can't believe it's already been 8 days. 

bookworm05, I am totally trying that chili tomorrow!

rhed, thanks for the encouragement, I am glad that I'm not just a big weirdo (at least, not in this particular capacity).

I have two requests:

1. Does anyone have a good ratatouille recipe that I can try out?

2. Any breakfast suggestions that don't involve eggs, since if I have to gag another one down I might break up with them forever?

@BecFreeby 

What about making sweet potato hash? You can eat it with some ground meat or sausages (if you find compliant ones) or even some chicken. 

I think the website I got mine from was eatingforidiots.com  Just search "sweet potato hash". 

Day 9 for me today and I could noooot fall asleep last night. I found myself really anxious and ended up eating some (okay, too much) almond butter at 3am. Not sure why. I've never had issues with anxiety eating or eating in the middle of the night. Hopefully it was a one off. 

Day 10 is going great, we are 1/3 the way there!

BecFreeby, think of your meals as meal 1, 2, & 3, instead of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Make whatever soubds good. Eggs are sooooo good for you though, do you always prep them the same way? If so, mix it up! I guess I am lucky I have never gotten tired if them :) I like to sautee veggies the night before and just fry two eggs over them in the AM. I mix up the veggies to keep it interesting.

Hope everyones week is going good!

Archived