Starting Whole30 September 1st.

kacheentemple

Hello you all!

Day 9 for me and I feel under the weather. Last week my toddler was sick and my SO has been sick for 3 days now so it's no surprise if I do get sick. My mom gave me an Auto Shiatsu book so I am hoping that will help, I just tried it for the first time.

Bookworm- I've had insomnia the last 2 nights too, I don't know why! It didn't happened to me during my first Whole30, I hope auto Shiatsu will help with that too because I have been going early to bed and I can't fall asleep, I just lay there. I will let you know tomorrow if it did work. My mom says it helped her with insomnia, it really hope it does.

Kacheen- I don't get tired of eggs either! About 85% of the time I have sunny side up with sweet potatoes, I love them!

Becfreeby- I would suggest the sweet potatoes hash with ground beef and chopped brocoli, or you could make some sausage. I like this recipe:

http://www.marthastewart.com/341904/simple-homemade-sausage-patties

Only two thirds left! 😀

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I did make hash this morning with chicken Italian sausage, and it passed the "gag" test... I also used a white sweet potato instead of a red one and the flavor was very mild, I was very pleased.  I might make them into little muffins for on-the-go eating the next few days until I overcome this egg aversion.  I normally LOVE them! 

I also struggled to fall asleep last night, normally I turn to warm milk in such situations but I had chamomile tea instead and it did the trick. 

On a positive note, someone asked me "what are you eating, you're glowing and you look like you've lost weight"... not gonna lie, it made me feel like superwoman. I had no idea I was in need of validation that this is working, but apparently I was :-)  Nothing tastes better than healthy feels, and I am glad there are outward changes that might inspire others to give this a try. 

I hope everyone is feeling motivated, sassy, and ready to tackle Day 11!  Good job so far, I am very thankful for this forum and the support network it provides!

I hope everyone is doing well today.

Rhed, I tried the cabbage last night and it's was yummy. I didn't have red so I used regular and I need to cut it up into smaller pieces, but I will make it again. I had it again this morning for breakfast mixed with some ground turkey.

I am still fighting horrible reflux, which is worse over the past few days and have started taking some digestive enzymes but I was really hoping the whole 30 would help this. I realize it takes a while for everything to normalize so I will be patient! ( kind of)

Another day under the belt! 11 down!

Mahaley, supposedly taking a shot of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar helps with stomach issues such as reflux. Luckily mine went away after going paleo, so I don't need to take such drastic measures. I know there are thousands of benefits for taking ACV, but I can't stand taking it.

Keep fighting the fight people!

LauraP: I really like salmon done simple, with salt and pepper and lemon. Served with asparagus and maybe mashed cauli? Make me want to go get some salmon, lol.

I'm running a little behind all y'all, only on day 5. But feeling good (other than the aching muscles from my 7 mile hike yesterday -- longest I've done). My first time around, I remember this being when I started feeling draggy and just uuuugh, but I'm ok right now. Maybe because I knew what to expect? Or I knew to throw more veggies (aka sweet potatoes) in my breakfast? I feel like I'm breezing through. I've even managed to go out to dinner a couple times and had no problems staying compliant (getting more comfortable with asking questions about the food).

Also! I read the label on my salsa that I'd been buying. It's compliant, but I realized that in 2 tablespoons (their recommended serving), there is 10% of the recommended limit for sodium. WHAT. Luckily, that was before my shopping trip, and I determined then and there to buy the ingredients to make my own salsa. Which I did today, and I had some with my Meal 2 of eggs, zucchini, and green pepper, and it was delicious.

My salsa recipe, in case you're about to ask: 6 Roma tomatoes, 3 garlic cloves, 1/2 yellow onion, 2 jalapenos, a healthy dash of cumin, healthy sprinkle of salt. Chop the veggies as chunky or finely as you like (or blend them into a liquid). And that's it! 

thanks for the salsa recipe -- I'll have to give it a whirl!

Hi all! I hope everyone has had a good weekend. I passed my first test this weekend when we went camping and I maintained my compliance. Yeah! I love roasted marshmallows and they sure smelled good. It was a lot of prep work, but I managed with a portable stove, a campfire and a cooler.

Laura, glad the mayo worked out. My second batch finally turned out but I cheated with olive oil instead of avocado ( too expensive to fail twice)

I tried to do some of the weekly cook up today which will hopefully take some of the stress out of the meals. My goal for this week is to venture out even further into the veggie world. I'm good with lettuce, kale and spinach, etc. I'm tackling cabbage this week. Does anyone have any good ideas on how they like to prepare it?

Have a good week!

Hey -- I like cabbage added to almost any dish.  Chop it up and keep it handy to throw in with any sauteed veggies.  Also, there is a great recipe with ground turkey on this website: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

Enjoy it.

bookworm05, I am totally trying that chili tomorrow!

rhed, thanks for the encouragement, I am glad that I'm not just a big weirdo (at least, not in this particular capacity).

I have two requests:

1. Does anyone have a good ratatouille recipe that I can try out?

2. Any breakfast suggestions that don't involve eggs, since if I have to gag another one down I might break up with them forever?

How about doing some hard boiled eggs and make egg salad with the paleo mayo?

Day 12 - Here we are.  I got my second wind yesterday with the cooking.  The day before I was just plain tired of cooking.  But luckily, it is one of my "jobs" in our marriage and for the most part I really enjoy it.  The past 4 years I have cooked more than I did our entire marriage.  I like finding new recipes and trying them out -- which is exactly what I am having to do to stay flexible with the different veggies that I am getting.  My husband said he does not want me to feed him any more broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage.  Well, sounds like he needs some carrots, lots of green salads and I guess it is time to break out the squash (not my favorite, but I will manage).

Enjoy your Day 12 and know that IT IS WORTH IT!

bookworm05, I am totally trying that chili tomorrow!

rhed, thanks for the encouragement, I am glad that I'm not just a big weirdo (at least, not in this particular capacity).

I have two requests:

1. Does anyone have a good ratatouille recipe that I can try out?

2. Any breakfast suggestions that don't involve eggs, since if I have to gag another one down I might break up with them forever?

I make a sort of ratatouille but don't use a recipe - I cook onion, eggplant, zucchini, capsicums, and mushrooms, with garlic and herbs, then pour tomato sauce over the top and simmer for a while...

Eggless breakfasts? What about dinner leftovers? Remember you don't need to eat breakfast foods for meal one!

Hello everybody!

I am sick with the flu and cough and have been really tempted to have some comfort food. Actually just something sweet, which is my weak point. Somehow I feel the sugar will give me a boost to feel better, but I am trying to stay strong and not bite into my son's bread with nutella. Yesterday I thought about making some homemade "Larabars" as I know they can be used in case of emergency, and right now they could save from giving into temptation but I decided against it because I know if I make them I will eat them and that will not help with overcoming my sugar dragon. I hope I didn't trade a little sugar for a lot of non-compliant sugar (if I cave that's it)

Amberino- that ratatouille sounds good, reminds me of Pisto, which is a traditional Spanish dish. When all the veggies are hot, they break an egg on top of them and turn The heat off.

In case you are wondering, autoshiatsu worked surprisingly good for insomnia. Not so much for a sored throat and stuffed nose.

Hello everybody!

I am sick with the flu and cough and have been really tempted to have some comfort food. Actually just something sweet, which is my weak point. Somehow I feel the sugar will give me a boost to feel better, but I am trying to stay strong and not bite into my son's bread with nutella. Yesterday I thought about making some homemade "Larabars" as I know they can be used in case of emergency, and right now they could save from giving into temptation but I decided against it because I know if I make them I will eat them and that will not help with overcoming my sugar dragon. I hope I didn't trade a little sugar for a lot of non-compliant sugar (if I cave that's it)

Amberino- that ratatouille sounds good, reminds me of Pisto, which is a traditional Spanish dish. When all the veggies are hot, they break an egg on top of them and turn The heat off.

In case you are wondering, autoshiatsu worked surprisingly good for insomnia. Not so much for a sored throat and stuffed nose.

I sure hope you get to feeling better.  Homemade Chicken & Vegetable Soup would be great for you.  Remember that sugar lowers your immune system so that is another reason to stay away from it when you are trying to get well.  If you are running a fever, try to let your body run the fever so that the fever can do it's job and kill the infection.  If the fever gets too high, of course take some fever reducer.  Lots of fluids and I'd even say that if I were sick, I'd have to resort to green smoothies to make myself get the nutrients that I need to get well.  Good luck and God Bless!

Day 12 went well. We did some insanity at fitness class tonight, was pretty intense. I know I will feel the burn tomorrow! Tonight I am doing mental prep for my weekend trip. We are going to the Ohio Rennaisance Festival this weekend, planning what food to bring with us. I plan on making all my meals, and only 2 for hubs, so shouldn't be too hard. He is going to eat at the continental breakfast our hotel offers, and food from the fair, I just have to make his dinners. I think I might attempt going out to eat Sunday night after the faire, since I won't have access to the hotel room, therefore electricity to run my burner or a crockpot. I think we might try a Red Lobster. This is kinda a big deal for me, I have only eaten at a restaurant 1 time since going paleo in January, I have gone with people several times, but don't order anything. But I figured it's pretty hard to mess up seafood, as long as I ask for it "dry". Then maybe some steamed veggies. I need to venture out a little, I get so paranoid about GMO's and what other crap might be in the foods I don't prepare myself (or my mom). I know I should loosen up a little, but it is hard for me. Knowing me I will probably end up passing on going out and just wait till we get home. *sigh Ok done with my weirdo rant, lol. I hope everyone has a great weekend, might not get a chance to check in, so everyone have a great day 13, 14, and 15!

I'm very impressed that your training for a marathon throughout this! What marathon are you doing? I crawled my way through 4 miles this morning and it was not pretty. I'm finding it hard to find the motivation/energy to get out the door to run. 

I am training for the Long Beach Marathon next month! Sorry for the slow reply :( I have ran 2 half marathons and one 5k and currently training for first full all while eating Paleo. I have had my best times and felt the best afterwards (quick recovery)!! Maybe the low energy could be you need more proteins/fats?? It is hard to find what your body needs to work efficiently. How are you feeling now?

Omg Day 11 was so hard for me. TMI warning: It's day 2 of my period and I just felt awful. I felt rested when I woke up this morning (and got about 7 hours of sleep), made it through 6 hours of class, came home with plans to go to the gym before my night class and just felt...crappy. Skipped the gym for the second day in a row and ended up feeling like I needed a nap. Came home from class, ate a usual dinner and was dying for a cupcake. I have no idea where that came from. I was just craving one so badly I thought my head might explode. Ended up caving and having a banana with some shredded coconut, (yes, bad, I know, but I was literally pulling my hair out and decided it was the only way I would make it through the night). I hate hormones. 

It was definitely far from perfect but at least I was technically compliant. Here's to a better Day 12! 

bookworm05, I know what you mean... I unknowingly started this Whole30 the same week as my cycle, and let's just say that it's a miracle I'm still married.  I was a tyrrannical mess!  As for the sugar dragon, My unofficial, non-moderatory opinion is that if your body wanted a cupcake and you gave it a banana with coconut, that means you-1, cravings-0 :-) 

Day 12 was much better for me, my cravings haven't been terribly strong for a few days now, and I FINALLY had a workout worth talking about.  Like many on here, I am training for a half-marathon (Oct. 20) and my training took a nosedive over the past two weeks.  I am hoping that I can get back in the saddle, and my 7.0 miles last night felt INCREDIBLE so perhaps I am finally turning the corner and getting my systems in gear. 

Also, spaghetti squash = WIN.  Probably all of you knew that already, but I was a SS virgin and the experience was all I hoped and dreamed for.  SO GOOD! 

Keep it up, everyone, we are rounding out week 2 and the halfway point is in sight!

bookworm05, I know what you mean... I unknowingly started this Whole30 the same week as my cycle, and let's just say that it's a miracle I'm still married.  I was a tyrrannical mess!  As for the sugar dragon, My unofficial, non-moderatory opinion is that if your body wanted a cupcake and you gave it a banana with coconut, that means you-1, cravings-0 :-) 

Day 12 was much better for me, my cravings haven't been terribly strong for a few days now, and I FINALLY had a workout worth talking about.  Like many on here, I am training for a half-marathon (Oct. 20) and my training took a nosedive over the past two weeks.  I am hoping that I can get back in the saddle, and my 7.0 miles last night felt INCREDIBLE so perhaps I am finally turning the corner and getting my systems in gear. 

Also, spaghetti squash = WIN.  Probably all of you knew that already, but I was a SS virgin and the experience was all I hoped and dreamed for.  SO GOOD! 

Keep it up, everyone, we are rounding out week 2 and the halfway point is in sight!

Are you saying that you did spaghetti squash and used the spaghetti in place of regular noodles with your sauce?  That is what I am planning for dinner/lunch today.

Laura- thanks for your wishes, I hope I'll feel better soon. Fortunately I've only had mild fever so I haven't taken any meds yet. I didn't know about sugar messing with the inmune system, one more reason to stay away from it. Right now i have been craving nuts and sweet potatoes so I am trying to listen to my body.

Have a great Friday everyone!

LauraP, that's exactly what I did!  I made my own marinara a few weeks ago and froze it so that I wouldn't have to worry about tracking down a compliant pasta sauce, and it was pretty darn good :-)

I'm not sure where you live, but in the good ol' PNW, the New Seasons has amazing spicy Italian chicken sausage that makes excellent meatballs.  Let me know how you liked it!

Aaaaagh, you guys. I was ready to give up today. Had to take the cat to the vet because she hasn't been eating. Got a wishy-washy answer of, if she poops, she's fine, if she vomits, bring her back. *sigh* Left there so frustrated.

Also, yesterday, my boss gave me a chocolate torte he bought for me in Vienna. He brought me cake! From Europe! (He doesn't know I don't eat a lot of sweets.) I was torn: eat it now and toss out the 12 or 13 days of Whole30, and start over after, or what.

But y'all are encouraging. I'm going to put the cake in the freezer to eat on a special occasion after my reintro. I'm determined to finish this whole30 & reintro.

LauraP, that's exactly what I did!  I made my own marinara a few weeks ago and froze it so that I wouldn't have to worry about tracking down a compliant pasta sauce, and it was pretty darn good :-)

I'm not sure where you live, but in the good ol' PNW, the New Seasons has amazing spicy Italian chicken sausage that makes excellent meatballs.  Let me know how you liked it!

I just did basic meat sauce with peppers, onions, ground beef and ground turkey with tomatoes and green chilies.  Made that yesterday and then made the Spaghetti Squash today and we had it for lunch.  I think maybe the SS was not cooked enough because it was crunchy, but it was yummy and my husband liked it too.

Work is making me tired and I'm tired of cooking and cleaning the dishes.  I did make extra salad at lunch today so maybe I'll just put some of the left over chicken on that and call it dinner.  SOOOOO missing my wine and yes, considering scrapping the Whole30.  Whether I complete the 30 or not, (which I probably will) I will probably continue all the food restrictions except I will add back in Wine, and a little bit of sweetner to my coffee.  But for the most part I can continue the eating plan as is because I was NO Wheat and NO Dairy before doing this.  

UG!

Archived