Why am I counting the days?!

rollo

So...I'm on day 8.

and while i feel good.  i mean, i'm a little hungry after having eaten a full breakfast a couple hours earlier.

but overall, i'm not feeling any major cravings.

and yet, i find myself going "in 2 days, i'll be 1/3 done." or "just 22 more to go"

why?

what i mean is, i realize Whole 30 isn't meant to be followed forever, but some people do Whole 60 or Whole 100.  but what am i really expecting at the end that i'm counting down? 

isn't this a lifestyle change?  shouldn't i be NOT thinking about how many days left? 

i'm not sure i'm explaining myself well, because i'm not trying to be "above it all", acting like "hey, we shouldn't be counting!"  because i'm actually a bit confused why i AM counting down.  what am i expecting on day 31? pizza?!  of course not.  then why do i still count down?  i feel the need to count, but not sure what i'm counting down to.

It is a finite thing, set as a finite thing. Are you analytical? Do you like numbers? You're counting down because there's something to count down _to_.

Me, I'm counting down to having tasty regular butter again (ghee is great, but just not quite the same), and having little bits of goat/sheep cheese in things (a sprinkle of feta here, a dusting of manchego there). Okay, and sushi. ;) (yes, I know I can have sashimi on its own, but I just don't prefer it). I'm already gluten free, dairy free, and mostly grain free (except for rice). My little bits of dairy were like extravagances to me, and made my already restrictive diet a little easier to bear. 

Ahem. Sorry to soapbox. :)

Psirene - please!  soapbox away!!  i'm going from SAD to W30.  and i'm hoping not to go back there, so knowing that you're counting down to a little bit of cheese and sushi is great.

i guess really this means i need to figure out what post W30 is

If you are counting down you might want to try shifting your mind shift a bit. Think about why you are counting down and why you are doing this. Don't focus on the things you can't have, focus on the things you can. Make the adjustments you need to your meals to feel full and satisfied. You shouldn't feel super hungry all the time. 

If you must count something count how far you are come. Switch from "22 days until I can have x" to "I've been free of junk food for 8 whole days!"

This is a finite thing as far as the strict rules, but if you are hoping to emerge with a balanced mostly paleo lifestyle focusing on the positives of this journey will help the transition. I'm post W30 and there is no more countdown for me. There is my new lifestyle and the choice I make and that is it. 

I see it as motivation to reach a goal. It's ok to mourn some foods, and feel a little uncertain as to what post W30 might be. I completed my first W30 in march, never did reintroduction properly and basically fell off the wagon big time..like fell off and hit my head! I have had many starts since then but no completions :(

Today on day four, I like your post to help me figure out what my post W30 might look like this time around, I am counting down also because I want to finish this time, feel like a success not a failure.

Archived