Amounts and Athlete Condition

Pedro Pinto

Hello everyone and, firstly, I would like to congratulate you all for making this kind of plan so accessible.

Well, I actually have some doubts and I hope you can help me out since I am really tempted to try the Whole30 program.

Let's start with the fact that I usually train 2 times a day, everyday in the week. Normally I make heavy resistance training plus cycling or running. It makes me think "How can I survive with 3 meals a day?" and the question is based on that... is the 3-meal-a-day a gold standard? If not, is there a limit?

Then, according to the meal plan, we can see some tips like 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein source, for example, and I trully believe I eat A LOT more than that. I also believe we shouldn't be starving between meals, am I right?

Well, I hope I made myself clear enough to get your help!

Sincerely, 

Pedro

Welcome Pedro. 3 meals a day is for normal days. It is also recommended to have a pre-WO and post-WO mini meal. This would put you closer to 5 meals a day when all broken down I would think.

Question: Why are you training so hard? Are you a competitive athlete? 

You might want to browse through the Paleo for Athletes section.

Welcome Pedro. 3 meals a day is for normal days. It is also recommended to have a pre-WO and post-WO mini meal. This would put you closer to 5 meals a day when all broken down I would think.

Question: Why are you training so hard? Are you a competitive athlete? 

You might want to browse through the Paleo for Athletes section.

Hello Physibeth,

Thank you for your fast response.

Actually, it is my job and I do it, not only because I love it but also because I need to do it =)

I am asking about quantities because I have no problems on eating 350g of meat, for example, and it is far more than 2 palm-sized portion of protein source. Plus, even with small PRE-W and POS-W I tend to eat a lot, but with carb restriction!

I would like to get all of your ideas about it in order to get it started in 2 days =)

Three meals is for the average person....you will probably need to eat at least 5 meals a day at your level.... As far as more than 2 palms of protein at a shot...well I'm 6'2". 220. And I have a hard time choking down a full two palms worh at a time.... If you eat more meals I seriously doubt you will need that much.... Make sure you are getting plenty of fat and veggies/ starchy veg, too much protein and you will push these off your plate.

W30 is meant to help regulate hormonal response,heal your gut, reduce inflammation , get you healthy.....

Not sure what your volume and work load is of your workouts....make sure you get plenty of rest and down time.... I used to 2 aday 3-4 times per week..... Now I've increased my work load and intensity and have accomplished much more training half as much time...

Hello Fenderbender,

Well, I must confess it's great to see you guys are so helpful! I appreciate your point of view and I'm "almost ready" to start =)

I am just thinking on what to eat when I have to train in the morning.... Assuming I would wake up at 9:00 a.m. in order to make a resistance training at 9:15, what would be a good PRE and POST workout?

Let's assume a weekend I wake up at 10:00 a.m in order to train at 10:15? Since my workout has 45 minutes of duration, what should I eat at 11:00? Should I lunch later, here?

Thank you all

@Pedro...

Great bunch here.... You'll like it...

I have found that eggs and a coffee with some coconut milk upon waking, gets me going just fine.... I am really good working out @ 6-7 AM fasted, but I tolerate a couple of eggs just fine and I know it's better for me from a hormonal stand point to eat, so I do.

Now post workout is when I really need to pound down the calories.... So 8-10 ounces chicken breast and a large sweet potato in the car driving home..... Shower, change and then hit breakfast with plenty of starchy veg carbs...... If I do a split and hit a second workout at night I do the same to recover.....

Recovery is key for me, and I preform great!!!

Hope you try this

Thanks again Fender :-)

In fact it sounds good!!! Actually it is pretty hard to find coconut milk without any trace of sugar, unless I make it myself... However, nothing is impossible :P

I usually use the whey protein as recovery tool but it seems it's not allowed here so I have to structure it on some other way. I do not have much time so I have to make most of meals previously.

What about fruit to start as PreWo or maybe a sweet potato and some broccoli, as well as 2 eggs? :-)

Starchy carbs...sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, rutabaga, turnips are ones I like to roast and eat anytime. Sweet potato mash with coconut oil, ghee, coconut milk, etc. in it is fantastic for breakfast (for a treat, add cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves/ginger). NomNomPaleo just posted a recipe for beets that is in my fridge right now. I'm SUPER excited...beets were only $0.88 per pound AND I've loved them since I was a kid.

I haven't tried pumpkin or winter squashes yet, but they're less than $1 per pound here already! Squeeeeee!

(I love my starchy carbs. Mmm.)

Starchy carbs...sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, rutabaga, turnips are ones I like to roast and eat anytime. Sweet potato mash with coconut oil, ghee, coconut milk, etc. in it is fantastic for breakfast (for a treat, add cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves/ginger). NomNomPaleo just posted a recipe for beets that is in my fridge right now. I'm SUPER excited...beets were only $0.88 per pound AND I've loved them since I was a kid.

I haven't tried pumpkin or winter squashes yet, but they're less than $1 per pound here already! Squeeeeee!

(I love my starchy carbs. Mmm.)

Where is that beet recipe? I'm not seeing it and I have some beets I'd like to use up.

Ask and ye shall receive - Beets! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4459404121/marinated-roasted-beets

I had them today. I didn't taste much of the vinegar over beets, but I don't mind beets on their own so...whatever. :) Maybe more vinegar next time.

Gracias! Pinned that and hopefully will remember to actually make them. My last attempt to cook and then peal didn't go well but I'll give it another shot.

Thank you all for your responses =)

Moving on... What do you think about these Egg Whites?

http://www.derovo.com/UK/produtos/ovo_liquido_clara.php

Just eat whole eggs from the healthiest chickens you can find. I can buy pastured eggs, but if you can't organic cage free is good. All the nutrients of the egg is in the yolk.

Archived