NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caitpage

So I'm on what? Day 25? I've been 100% compliant, OR SO I THOUGHT.

I have Well Fed, and I really like it. I haven't been cooking many of the recipes this time around, but it saved me during my first Whole 30.

However, one thing I still make regularly is her coconut whipped cream recipe. Since she says the only non-Whole 30 compliant recipe is the peach cobbler, I thought I was fine! Even Melissa Hartwig says:

"The only “non-approved†recipe is a peach cobbler, under the “fruit†section. The ingredients are all squeaky-clean, but it was a little too close to a Paleo-ified dessert for the program." http://whole9life.com/2011/12/well-fed/

BUT then I'm scrolling through the "official can I have __ guide", and vanilla extract is a NO, which is an ingredient in Well Fed's coconut whipped cream! http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I've been making that whipped cream about two times a week. I toss a dollup in my coffee or dip berries in it as a sweet treat with dinner.

:(

Note that they say 'this ruling is kinda silly' on the Vanilla Extract.... it's there to stay black and white on the alcohol thing.  So get the vanilla bean powder, but don't think of the last 25 days as wasted AT ALL!  You've done great to get so far...don't let vanilla extract ruin your confidence and send you off the program altogether!

Like everyone else has said, I wouldn't worry about the extract. That recipe only calls for a teaspoon of it anyway, so it's not like you've been dumping bourbon in your whipped coconut cream. That being said, like amberino21 mentioned, I make it with just the coconut cream all the time and it's just as delicious.

I wouldn't give up over the vanilla, but I am curious about the idea of using it and fruit as a "sweet treat."  Like amberino said, it sounds dessert-like and getting beyond dessert - even fruit and fat - is one of the goals of a Whole30 (I think).

Archived