Measuring coconut oil

lexes42

The temperature of my tiny kitchen varies widely (especially now in the heat of August).... so sometimes my oil is completely liquid and sometimes completely solid - or at least it will be come October.

So how do I measure a Tablespoon for a recipe?  Which 'form' of the oil are people measuring?

BF says i am heavy handed with the oil and I"m wondering if I'm using too much because of the state of the oil when I measure... or it's because he is not used to the fat added.

I don't think the volume of the oil changes much regardless if it's liquid or solid state. 

That said, you might measure it differently? If it's liquid, sometimes I just pour straight from the jar into the pan, so that might be more than I would have had spooning it out, but I if I DO spoon the liquid out, it would be less, because it's really easy to be lazy and do a "heaping" tablespoon with semi-solid coconut oil, not so easy to do that with a spoonfull of the liquid.

• 2 weeks later...

If I want to be exact I use the displacement method.  If recipe calls for 1/2 cup coconut oil I fill a 2 cup measuring cup up to the 1 1/2 cup mark and then add the solid coconut oil until the water reaches the 2 cup mark.  Drain off the water and use.

This works well if the coconut oil is solid, which it usually is in my cold house, but wouldn't work as well if it is semi-solid

Archived