Not perfect, but not sweating it?

rachel30

So, I've been at this for a few weeks now, and I think I've only had maybe 3 perfect days. So, I keep saying I'm "starting over." This means I've had about ten Day1's.

Still, though, I'm feeling *terrific*! I seriously can't believe how much better I feel, look, etc. Even my skin & hair look better. I'm sure I've lost weight, but I'm staying off the scale, because the reason I even started the Whole30 was primarily for my health.

Is anyone else in the same boat? What do you do? Do you keep saying, "This is Day 1" or do you just keep going and make a Whole45 or something?

What are the kinds of things for which you haven't been compliant and feel the need to.continually restart? Perhaps folks here can offer you some tips to stay on the path for 30 consecutive days?

EDIT: moved thread to Troubleshooting Your Whole30 forum.

What are the kinds of things for which you haven't been compliant and feel the need to.continually restart? Perhaps folks here can offer you some tips to stay on the path for 30 consecutive days?

EDIT: moved thread to Troubleshooting Your Whole30 forum.

Thanks. Yesterday, I just couldn't go one more minute without some whole grains. So, I had about 1/2 cup of whole grain cereal. I felt immediately better. Another day, I had a rice cake. Plain. Just puffed rice.

Maybe I should add more starchy carbes (e.g. sweet potato) with each meal, rather than just at breakfast and occassionaly lunch. Or add more fat. Almost always, I falter in the evening.

Maybe I should add more starchy carbes (e.g. sweet potato) with each meal, rather than just at breakfast and occassionaly lunch. Or add more fat. Almost always, I falter in the evening.

Yes, you should. It's not like you mistakenly ate a non-compliant ingredient. You ate something that is not on the program. Eliminating grains is one of the keys to W30. You need to see how you do without them (and how you can do without them by added starchy veggies). Only then can you gauge if you feel better without them after 30 days. And you can reintroduce them and see if you have a reaction.

Here's the thing: 30 consecutive days without gluten and dairy and soy is pretty important. I know for me, it can take up to 30 days for the impact of even a tiny amount of gluten to work it's way out of my system, so if I didn't manage 100% compliance for my whole30, I would not have known what it feels like to be without that inflammation. Once you've done your 30 "perfect" days you can be more flexible, but actually getting 30 perfect days DOES matter. I know it helped me to know that  :) .

I do think you are on the right track with the starchy carbs. If you can figure out why you go off plan, then you can work on ways to not get to that place. good luck.

Yes, you should. It's not like you mistakenly ate a non-compliant ingredient. You ate something that is not on the program. Eliminating grains is one of the keys to W30. You need to see how you do without them (and how you can do without them by added starchy veggies). Only then can you gauge if you feel better without them after 30 days. And you can reintroduce them and see if you have a reaction.

No, it definitely wasn't a mistake! I mean, it was a *mistake*, but I didn't do it accidentally. ;-)

I have IBS and have had gastro issues my entire adult life. I do owe it to myself to do it right for 30 days, just to see how I do. *Sigh*.

Day 1. Totally W30-compliant so far! :-)

Archived