Hungry, but can't finish your plate?

I wait until I'm hungry to eat, and don't do a lot of snacking between meals, but then I sit down to eat and can only get halfway through my plate (today is day 8). This happened at breakfast this morning. I was HUNGRY this morning! But only managed 2 deviled egg halves, about half a carrot's worth of medallions and 2 grapes. I did have about 3/4C of coffee with coconut cream and a half glass of citrus water too...

• Moderators

I wonder if it is a digestion problem. You might try taking several Super Enzymes from Now Foods at meal time.

Did you have this problem before starting the Whole30? Some people don't handle protein or fat well and need enzymes to get to a better place.

This happens to me as well. I'm trying not to over think it ( advice I received here) and eat what I can and save the rest for a snack if I need it. Normally, I don't want breakfast at all but I'm trying to reset that. My problem is dinner, sometimes I just quit, sometimes I power through. I usually don't feel good either way, if I don't finish dinner, I feel snacky later, if I try to finish I'm uncomfortably full.

I'm trying to think of it as a symptom of my disordered eating and hormones. I can't force my body into a new regime, I have to "retrain" it by incrementally adjusting the times and amounts I eat. I'm just now starting to crave breakfast a little. I hope to feel downright hungry one of these days!

"I'm trying to think of it as a symptom of my disordered eating and hormones. I can't force my body into a new regime, I have to "retrain" it by incrementally adjusting the times and amounts I eat."

What you said Patti M! I am used to eating about 5 or 6 smaller meals each day and also had been playing around with Intermittent Fasting (eating breakfast later) before I started Whole30. You're probably right, this is just part of the re-training.

Tom - I have had some digestion/GI troubles for about 8 months now, but I decided to let Whole30 do what it needed to do and have not been taking anything for any of it. I hate taking medicine or supplements anyway and usually only do take them if I am really suffering... It's now 4 hours later and I am not hungry, so I guess that's all I needed to eat at the time?

• Moderators

If your body is not digesting your food fully, you may be missing some of the good that you would ordinarily get from a Whole30 because the goodness is passing through without doing all its magic in you. Digestive enzymes are not really like a drug or medicine. They are natural substances that your body may not have enough of at this time. Basically, the enzymes speed up your retraining/adjustment. Here are two articles from the Whole9 that mention them...

http://whole9life.com/2011/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged/

http://whole9life.com/2010/09/supplements-part-ii/

Digestive enzymes are a vital and useful supplement when you are eliminating foods and adding others, or if you have slow digestion, or any digestive problems, really. They aren't drugs, they are foods in capsule form that supplement your diet. I hate taking pills myself, but I've learned over the years that I really cannot be without these: Vitamin D3 (because I don't go out in the sun and my level is low) Magnesium, Probiotic, and Digestive Enzymes. I also take Zyflamend for arthitis.

I worked in a Health Food Market for a while (among other careers) and I have been into holistic health for at least 30 years. I used to take all sorts of supplements, but in time I've narrowed daily supplementation down to just a few, and exactly what my body needs.

Yes, your body can heal by eating a nutritious diet, however, if you've ever eaten junky food for six months or more, like fast food, packaged/processed food, or low-cal/low-fat stuff, or taken more than one course of antibiotics over time - imo, you will definitely need to supplement your Whole30/Paleo diet for at least six months, or more, depending on the damage done. Just my opinion. :)

Archived