Sea salt with dextrose

Littlepeanut

Finding salt in my town is becoming a hassle... I've been using a salt in my house and today (of course AFTER making meal 2) i noticed it had "less then 2% dextrose" SUGAR NOOOOOO!!!

While i know it's a honest error- i'm frustrated. I also find that same "less then 2%" term on a lot of uncured organic meats... So i know sugar is sugar: anyone know of sea salt i can order?? We have a nature's grocers where i bought this salt but not many other options. Grrr lol

• Moderators

All iodized salt includes dextrose/sugar as a binder to keep added iodine in the salt. At least all iodized salt in the US as best I can tell. You should find that non-iodized salt does not include sugar. Iodine is an important mineral that you can get from seafood, seaweed, and some other sources. Iodine is added to salt as an easy way to make sure most people get enough. 

I tend to buy non-iodized salt nowadays and take an iodine supplement to insure I get enough iodine. However, I eat Sea Snax (seaweed snack), lots of fish, and sea salt that includes a variety of minerals. 

I buy himalayan salt bulk from the health food store and put it in a pepper grinder. Iodized salt is useless. They add the iodine to the salt, and yet most people are still iodine deficient because the form of iodine they add to the salt is not very bio available. I take a liquid iodine supplement every morning in my bottle of water. The average person only needs about 150 micrograms of iodine per day. The iodine I use is extracted from kelp and I just have to add 4 drops to my water to get 150mcg per day.

Archived