Exercise type: Does it matter?

JayneNZ

Hi all - I'm on Day 29 of my first ever Whole30 and (oh sorry forgot the WOOHOO) and anyway I was wondering about exercise.

I've been trying to walk places more and have also done a couple of pilates dvds at home but with all this talk of cross-fit and weights and kettleballs I'm wondering if I'm just not doing enough.

I've been too tired to do much else but wondered if I should join a gym on my next whole30 (in about 2 weeks time). I did go to a gym last year (a proper one with free weights and concrete floors - no lycra!!) but an old shoulder injury flared up and in all honesty I kinda gave up on it). Should I go back?

I intend to be more regular with my walking/pilates inbetween the W30's but seriously, is it enough?

doing some sort of resistance work - even if it's just bodyweight to start off with - will definitely help change your physique more than walking/pilates will. increased muscle mass is also good for your health, and i'm pretty sure it protects your body against osteoporosis.

if you do have injuries, i'd suggest getting them checked out by a physio who can help you rehab and strengthen the problem area. if you're unsure as to what to do in the gym, some PT sessions might be good - as long as the PT knows what they're talking about and shows you how to train with proper technique.

I'm racked with old injuries but I gotta tell you....Crossfit has changed my life!!! There is nothing like doing all out intense workouts . Sure plenty of folks lift heavy, but all workouts are ment to be scaled to your appropriate level of fitness and strength

At 51, I now leave most of all the 20-30 something's in the dust and I am pain free. Lifting heavy with good form and intensity .The coaches correcting my tight hip flexors, correcting my lack of shoulder and scapular mobility, etc has made a huge difference in my everyday life....

OMG Fender, I've got to respond to this one. Yes, SOME crossfit gyms are gold star fantastic, but lots of them SUCK. Sorry, but it just isn't very consistent at all. I agree wholeheartedly that the OP should find coaches who can help with mobility and form and lift heavy. That might happen at a crossfit gym (but it might not). It might also happen at a gym that doesn't have "crossfit" affiliation. It takes some research, but there are great places out there to train.

Also: walks are great!

Good luck.

@missmary

Great point .... I did a lot of research on affiliates before I found CF Ripped

Yes...some affiliates are not that great...some are ok , and some are amazing. Kinda like anything else, you need to find a good fit and that goes for any thing. But it's really up to an individual to make the most of their personal fitness by identifying strengths and weaknesses, setting goals and priorities, and striving to achieve them.

If you want to concentrate on endurance events and go to an affiliate that's big into power and oly lifts..... Might need to try somewhere else

Once you find that fit, it can be an amazing experience

Archived