Homemade coconut milk - solid layer at the top

I've been making my own coconut milk from unsweetened shredded coconut. Each time I make it, it separates and what's on top is not like what separates to the top of canned milk. It's solid and upon breaking it up and shaking it, even letting it come to room temp, it doesn't dissolve back into the milk. I'm wondering what this at the top is, if there's a way to get it to dissolve back into the milk or if its even an essential part to the milk (or could it be used for something else)? I'm drying out the dessicated coconut into flour, so I'd love to know if there's another use for the solid layer that forms on the top, if its not essential to the coconut milk.

Thanks!

I had the same issue when I made my own coconut milk. Seems to be the fat from the milk. I stored the milk in mason jars and shook it every once in while until it's chilled. It doesn't completely solve the issue, but it helps to break the fat up some. The only other solution I can think of is to use guar gum or another additive to emulsify the fat. An alternative is to store the jar upside down in the fridge, letting the cream rise to the bottom of the jar, drink the milk and what remains on the bottom is coconut cream. This can be whipped and incorporated in recipes.

After 3 tries, I gave up and just bought canned milk. I was excited about the prospect of making my own and read a few blogs that posted pretty pictures of the finished milk. Unfortunately all of them neglected to mention what would happen when the milk got cold.

Glad to know at least I'm not alone. I'm going to give it a couple more tries... I think this next time (I hope this afternoon), I'm going to let it sit out at room temp, shake it every once in awhile and then keep shaking it after I put it in the fridge. Fingers crossed. I don't really mind the chunks too terribly bad... I mostly use coconut milk for my coffee anyway and they dissolve in the hot coffee without an issue. So maybe I'll just do the canned stuff for non-coffee uses. :)

Archived