Looking for a buddy for the August Whole30

Cassie M

Hi everyone,

I'm also starting Aug 1st. I have been 50% paleo for about 1 month, but have struggled with cutting out grains and dairy and...sugar of course. I am really looking to a fresh start. My digestion has been haywire for years and I have tried to eliminate certain foods but have never quite known what the right process was. So learning about W30 has felt like a life saver!

I also don't have family willing to try this with me or even really listen much to what I say about what i'm doing, so having this online community feels really important. Hope to talk with you all more.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I never thought I'd be able to drink black coffee either. And it has a lot to do with the coffee. I found that I drink far less now but it's a much greater quality. And the better the coffee the less I am using it. I'm finding I'd rather have some coconut water or lemon water. ISWF was a birthday gift and a nudge to stop talking about change and become the change.

I'm finding time management to be my biggest obstacle right now. I work a full time job and have a second job as a yoga teacher. So I need to "show up" and be fully there for my classes. I also help care for my two ailing parents - another incentive. So I'm usually on the go. Just sitting down to a movie is a decadence. I like to call myself a single mom of two, they just happen to be 67 and 64.

Looking forward to the Whole 30 official start!

Shannon-

I relate to time management being a big obstacle. I work a lot, actually cooking for other people, and have a hard time cooking for myself! Sounds like JHmomi had some good tips for on the go food- I have been meaning to do a frittata, must try. I am getting sick of eggs already, so maybe a frittata would feel less "egg-y".

Welcome Maggie and Grace Anna, and thanks for the excellent ideas jhmomi!

I actually started today - beginning on a Monday instead of a Wednesday just felt easier. I spent yesterday cooking and prepping. And of course, there was temptation galore on my first day: I was stuck in a 5 hour meeting complete with croissants and pastries for breakfast, and sandwiches and chips for lunch. I stuck to my planned meals (I had Paleo egg muffins for breakfast before my meeting and brought in my own salad at lunch) and I'm better for it! I wasn't even tempted to touch the bad stuff, but this is only day one and my will is the strongest it probably will be all month :)

Looking forward to hearing about your starts. It's on like Donkey Kong!

Cassie - Congrats for starting today. i decided this morning I will begin tomorrow (I already had a bit of milk in my coffee today). I actually ate ICE CREAM last night. Haven't touched it in such a long time, but somehow knowing that I can't have it starting Wednesday made me want it. Been reading ISWF and totally getting in to the psychological reasons for why we want all the foods we shouldn't have.

Made some awesome salad dressing just now. No recipe, just threw a bunch of stuff in my VitaMix. White wine vinegar, orange juice, fresh garlic cloves, dijon mustard, coconut aminos, olive oil, plus a very small amount of toasted sesame oil. Yum. I think it's the first dressing I have ever made from scratch that I really like and I have no idea what the amount of any of the ingredients I used. But I will try to recreate it when it's gone.

I had leftover grilled chicken and broccoli for breakfast. And leftover salmon for lunch with some grape tomatoes and a few slices of apple. Simple but good.

My toughest challenge is late night snacking but I will overcome it. Just might not be fun to be around me after dinner in the evenings for the next week or so. I see some early bedtimes in my near future!

JoyfulSusan - I am so jealous your brother is right there near the DeKalb Farmer's Market. I used to LOVE going there but never lived that close. I was in Stone Mountain off Memorial Drive 20 something years ago and now I am in East Cobb so technically I should have listed my hometown right now as Marietta... :) I do have Whole Foods and Tader Joe's within 2 miles of my house so I can't complain too much. The DeKalb Farmers Market is just a really cool place. If you haven't ever been, check it out next time you are here. It's a bit of an experience just to go there. So many unusual things! :)

Try the canned coconut milk in your coffee. I get mine at Trader Joe's. Love that place too. It's a bit of a treat and a change from black.

Speaking of treat, I just snacked on some smoked whitefish I picked up at Whole Foods a little while ago. So yummy. But then I followed it with some trail mix - peanuts and M&Ms included. I had a little handful and threw the rest in the trash. Why is it so hard to say NO to things we KNOW aren't good for us? :(

Welcome Shannon! I just passed through Indianapolis on Monday. I was in Chicago visiting my brother and headed back home that day.

My brother has taken me to that Farmer's Market!! It is unbelievable. They do a lot of their shopping there. We have Whole Foods and Trader Joe's but they are not close to our house. Closer to where I work but it's still about an hour to get there and back to work. Thanks for the Trader Joe's Coconut Milk tip. I am definitely going to have to make that switch. I bought my last Starbucks latte with skim milk this morning. :wacko:

I was also following the August 1 start group but I am not starting until August 12 due to a girls' weekend this coming weekend and a wedding next weekend. I know I should start Wednesday but I am not that confident that I could commit 100% with these two events right at the start. I want to participate 100% when I get going and I can't have any temptations right at the beginning. Maybe by Halloween, I can actually say no to candy!! :D

Cassie - Congrats for starting today. i decided this morning I will begin tomorrow (I already had a bit of milk in my coffee today). I actually ate ICE CREAM last night. Haven't touched it in such a long time, but somehow knowing that I can't have it starting Wednesday made me want it. Been reading ISWF and totally getting in to the psychological reasons for why we want all the foods we shouldn't have.

Made some awesome salad dressing just now. No recipe, just threw a bunch of stuff in my VitaMix. White wine vinegar, orange juice, fresh garlic cloves, dijon mustard, coconut aminos, olive oil, plus a very small amount of toasted sesame oil. Yum. I think it's the first dressing I have ever made from scratch that I really like and I have no idea what the amount of any of the ingredients I used. But I will try to recreate it when it's gone.

I had leftover grilled chicken and broccoli for breakfast. And leftover salmon for lunch with some grape tomatoes and a few slices of apple. Simple but good.

My toughest challenge is late night snacking but I will overcome it. Just might not be fun to be around me after dinner in the evenings for the next week or so. I see some early bedtimes in my near future!

I know exactly how you feel! I had to go to the store to pick up a few things on Sunday, and since I decided Monday would be my start day, I felt like I had to have one last treat. I spent about 10 minutes in the ice cream aisle and eventually walked away -- not fully out of control, but more because they didn't have a flavor that I LOVE. So I chose a chocolate bar that I really like instead. I know I shouldn't have, but it was delicious and I can't start this month feeling bad about myself, so I won't -- and neither should you!

I was also following the August 1 start group but I am not starting until August 12 due to a girls' weekend this coming weekend and a wedding next weekend. I know I should start Wednesday but I am not that confident that I could commit 100% with these two events right at the start. I want to participate 100% when I get going and I can't have any temptations right at the beginning. Maybe by Halloween, I can actually say no to candy!! :D

You're absolutely right to be waiting until you know that you can commit to a full month. Over the last 2 weeks that I've been mentally preparing for this, I've been eating about 80% W30 - so it might be worth having W30 compliant days between the events that you can't commit.

To everyone else ... happy last day! I'm so excited!

Hi Cassie M & Everyone,

I'm starting my first Whole 30 on 1st August, may I join you too?

I've been doing paleo/primal since Feb 2011 and got good results but fell off the wagon pretty badly at the end of the year and have never quite got back on track. While my main meals are generally paleo (and mostly thanks to Well Fed Paleo or Nom Nom Paleo) I really need to sort out non-rubbish snacks and more to the point, not snacking from boredom/habit. I can already see some great tips from jhmomi for food to keep on hand.

I've had my last cappuchino *sob* and I'm ready for tomorrow... Hopefully signing up to this forum and for the whole 30 daily messages will keep me on track this time!

Hello and welcome, Arabis!

We're happy to have you! Enjoy that capuccino and here's to 30 days of taking control of our snacking (I'm a total boredom eater too!) and feeling better about our relationship with food and its role in our lives.

Tomorrow is d-day :)

Cassie--You are right. I am going to start eating the Whole30 way today (almost made it yesterday but our neighbor brought over freshly baked bread last night). I will let myself have fun the next two weekends but then commit to 30 days 100% starting on the 12th. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Hello Cassie -- I love that you're in Ireland. I'm traveling to Iceland and Norway for 10 days of my 30 day August Challenge.

I hope that eating paleo in Europe will actually be easier than in wonder-bread, white-sugared America. :D

Also, I echo your greetings to DucatiGirl and Jessica!

It's great to see so much support on here :)

Cheers, -Sunny

I'm in too! As many others said, I've been at least 50% (probably more) Paleo for a few months and starting the Whole30 tomorrow. My biggest challenge will definitely be snacking and eating out at restaurants.

FYI - I tried the Watermelon and Tomato Gazpacho from Nom Nom Paleo's blog and it is really yummy. I didn't peel my veggies as she suggested (I have a VitaMix + I'm lazy) and it didn't seem to matter. The flavor was good. Think it was the Sherry Vinegar that kicked it up a notch....

P.S. To keep up with the group, I'm going to add all of you as friends to better view your posts throughout the forum. Looking forward to the journey with all of you!

Hey Everyone!! I'm in the August 1st boat, too! I just did my grocery shopping today and got most of what I want and need to get started. I can't wait! I've never done the paleo thing before, but I was a huge devotee of the "clean eating" lifestyle for a few years, so I know I have what it takes to be strict and disciplined with my food. Doing that before, was when I went thru the learning curve of eating fresh, whole foods and learning to like them. The HUGE difference for me now, is no grains.

I almost can't fathom my first meal of the day not being 3 scrambled egg whites and 1/2 cup oats oatmeal! LOL So weird. Thank goodness I'm still allowed to have sweet potato!!! That will be the only heavier, filling food that it looks like I have left. hehehe

I committed to this Whole30 on my FaceBook too, so now a few people are waiting to see what I eat and see pics. I really look forward to following along with all of you here!

Well,I'm here in NFLD and I am 1 hour from the 1st of August where I will be joining you as well.

I have done the primal before but have only ever managed to do about 22 days.This time I am committed and with the rest of the summer off before I need to start a new job.I have no excuses.

I always seem to hit a wall and it's funny,my weight always hits the same number when I know it's time to start again.I'm here now.

I haven't really been eating much wheat over the past many months but sugar is my demon.If I look at wheat,I gain weight.Sugar is a slower gain but a higher addiction than wheat.

I am not looking forward to being off it but I can't handle the aches and pains as well as the persistent heartburn and mood swings.

Here we go for 30 days.I just moved back from Ireland to the other Irish isle.

All the best

Hi Shannon & Gang,

I'm excited!

My quick history:

• Purchased It Starts with Food in July
  • Loved how I felt eating 3 times a day as oppose to 5-6, carb/sugar cravings plummeted (for awhile), and I felt great off grains
  • Due to lack of food planning and variety, I started to get sick of my meals and didn't want to eat. The result of falling off the wagon---sugar cravings sky rocketed, bloating, etc

My goal for this challenge is to make food planning, prepping, and variety of food the focus. I dont' have much money, but I will make spending enough on quality and quantity of food a priority. I want this challenge to be fun, healthy, and delicious. I hope the organization and planning with meals will positvely impact other areas of my life as well.

I'm happy to be a buddy to anyone! How do we do that on this forum?

Good luck to all of us!

Gabrielle

P.S. I have the flu--anyone have any history of Paleo as helpful to dealing with flu symptoms?

Hello Cassie -- I love that you're in Ireland. I'm traveling to Iceland and Norway for 10 days of my 30 day August Challenge.

I hope that eating paleo in Europe will actually be easier than in wonder-bread, white-sugared America. :D

Also, I echo your greetings to DucatiGirl and Jessica!

It's great to see so much support on here :)

Cheers, -Sunny

Hi Sunny - and welcome!

So yes, I'm in Ireland and have lived here for a few years but I'm from the US. I'm super jealous that you're going to Norway and Iceland! As for eating paleo in Europe, I don't know that it's any easier vs the US because - at least in Ireland - we have most of the same crappy foods but much less choice (no Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc). Plus food here is really expensive - and even more expensive in Norway, from what I understand. Hope it goes well, anyway :)

Archived