Looking for a buddy for the August Whole30

Cassie M

Newbies- I think a dehydrator is a nice addition to any Paleo kitchen. I bought mine for about 65 dollars on Amazon. Making beef jerky is easy. Banana chips and zucchini chips are both nice snack options when paired with protein.

Happy Healthy Eating!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in too!! Do any of the "seasoned" or advanced W30's have any tips/advise for the newbies??

Michelle,

I just noticed that I forgot you in my welcome message to the new members.

Welcome!! Hope Day 1 is getting off to a great start :)

Hi Sunny - and welcome!

So yes, I'm in Ireland and have lived here for a few years but I'm from the US. I'm super jealous that you're going to Norway and Iceland! As for eating paleo in Europe, I don't know that it's any easier vs the US because - at least in Ireland - we have most of the same crappy foods but much less choice (no Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc). Plus food here is really expensive - and even more expensive in Norway, from what I understand. Hope it goes well, anyway :)

Thanks, Cassie -- I'm really jazzed for the trip. It's been too long since trips to other, more carb-heavy countries in the EU (Italy 2 yrs ago and France 5 yrs ago). Although it's coinciding nicely with my whole30, I'm kinda hopeful that going Scandinavian will be better for fish and local veggies plus selections low-in-grain as neither Norway nor Iceland are known for their pastries and pasta! Instead it's all sardines, salmon and fermented shark's fin. :lol:

I'll definitely try to pack some nuts and non-perishable foods from the US / Trader Joe's as I know that stuff will be $$$ over there. Any other tips or tricks to traveling there, just let me know! I'll check the guidelines to make sure I can bring dried fruit, for example.

Cheers, -Sunny

Happy Day 1, everyone. May I join you?

I think I'm the old lady of the group! Someone's doing the Whole 30 before 30, and I'm doing the Whole 30 before 60.

My son and daughter in law got me are Cross-fitters and had such good health benefits with their paleo challenge that they challenged me to do it. My husband & I both did a 30 day paleo challenge in January, 2011. I had such dramatic health benefits and weight loss that I have continued, but added occasional dairy, corn (tortillas), occasional potatoes, and probably way too many nuts and treats. Hubby isn't on board, but he supports & encourages me and eats what I cook. I lost 50 pounds over the year, and have maintained the loss, but haven't lost any more...so it is time for a tune up!

I learned about the Whole 30 last year but thought I couldn't do it because I didn't want to give up my stevia in my morning tea, and my daily 2 squares of dark chocolate. But I just had my first cup of tea with coconut butter and, hey...I can DO this!!!

I am just starting my first WHOLE30 today as well! I would love to join this group of supportive people:) Have been trying for months to do stick to gluten free/paleo, but I have always strayed away at one point or another. So I am committed to making it stick this time!

I had a great day with one minor exception. I took my kids to a movie. The three of them munched on popcorn the whole time. I brought beef jerky. My 4 year old was sitting in my lap and tried to put popcorn in my mouth and in a split second I stopped him. Safe. Not tempted at all by the popcorn, but really enjoyed the smell. Drank my water. They shared a Sprite. All was great until...

On the way out of the theater I carried their drink. It had a straw. WIthout thinking I took maybe a teaspoon sip. I immediately realized my mistake. But not before I swallowed. $%#$!!!! So even though I started yesterday on July 31, I officially restarted as of 1:45 this afternoon when I mistakenly swallowed that teaspoon of Sprite.

Thank goodness it's only Day 1. I'd be really mad if I did that on Day 29... ;)

Hope everyone had a great day.

Definitely need a buddy! I'm going it totally alone (apart from the daily support from here). My family think I'm nuts and my cf box are not Paleo eaters...half eat zone and the others eat whatever. Can really use some buddying up, I've gotten as far as day 12, a month ago.

I was really trying to stay paleo yesterday, even though I sm not officially starting until August 12, but I had bread, sugar and dairy yesterday. I really do feel gross this morning. I'm going to the gym at 10:00, treadmill & weights. Leaving for Florida this afternoon with my book club for a long weekend. Yeah!

I was really trying to stay paleo yesterday, even though I sm not officially starting until August 12, but I had bread, sugar and dairy yesterday. I really do feel gross this morning. I'm going to the gym at 10:00, treadmill & weights. Leaving for Florida this afternoon with my book club for a long weekend. Yeah!

Stay strong on your trip Susan. Hope you have a good workout. Make some good choices on your trip and have fun. It is possible to do BOTH... ;)

I'd like to join ya'll for my first Whole30! I got here by doing the Slow Carb diet for about six months. I lost weight and overall felt really good, but the cheat days were bringing me down. I would always have a post-cheat day hangover. So I started looking into switching to Paleo, which led me here. I just read ISWF and the Well Fed cookbook and I'm so excited!

I have been "cheating" for the whole month of July so I feel pretty gross. I'm ready to completely kick my sugar cravings - no once-a-week binge required!

Are you refering to the diet outlined by Tim Ferris in The Four Hour Body?

I read this book. Interesting in some respects, but what Ferris calls "cheat days" I call self-slaughter days.

My system would never withstand the abuse. And frankly, I think it is only a matter of time before his own body protests.

Your leptin levels should not plummet on this diet. But if you worry that they are low, have a sweet potato or two, or extra avocado, fruits, etc.

Anyway, good luck!

Welcome mrsmonkey409, subal48, bluefox, and maeva!

Well it's the end of Day 3 for August 1 start folks. Sooooo......

How did you do the last three days?

Did you enjoy your food?

Did you eat anything noncompliant?

How are you feeling? Energetic? Satisfied? Hungry? Tired?

Are you having any problems?

Is there anything you already know you need to change for the next 27 days?

I'm thinking we need to check in on this thread from time to time and support each other.

Here's an update of my last 3 days: I feel energetic. I think I might be losing just a little belly bloat. I have been very satisfied with my food, although I think I bought and prepared too many fresh things. I'm going to have to eat the same thing for days to keep from wasting it all. I'm already tired of the yummy gazpacho I made (twice this week) but I hate to waste it. I hope the batch I made this morning is still good tomorrow and doesn't spoil. My workout this morning was the best I have had in at least a month. I lost strength with training breaks due to vacations this summer so I am still trying to get back to what I was lifting in mid-June. Squats and bench press this morning felt AWESOME. Not sure it's completely related to the food I've been eating (I started really tightening up my diet a week before beginning this Whole30). But I certainly think it is helping. I had a good short run with a faster pace than I expected yesterday too.

Changes I need to make for the next 27 days:

Make smaller batches of food so I don't get bored.

Get a few more quick proteins in my freezer like pre-cooked shrimp and sausages/hot dogs. I'm already tiring of HB eggs and chicken.

Finish reading ALL of ISWF (I skipped a lot the first time through).

Plan and consume pre-workout snacks.

As often as possible, get to bed by 9pm. Lights out by 10pm.

Have an awesome Whole30 compliant weekend everyone! -jhmomi

Welcome Sunny, Jackie, Bobbi Jo, sheripal, anjelevil (what's the "other Irish isle"?), and Gabrielle!

Happy Day One to all!

The other Irish Isle is Newfoundland and Labrador..and New Zealand..but I'm in Newfoundland!Desperately missing Irish produce and especially missing the lamb .oh..and the great butter

Welcome Paula, Kelsey, Dan, Jess, mrsmonkey, subal, Megan, Maeva and Emmer!

jhmomi - thanks for kicking off a check-in! You pose some interesting reflection questions, so here goes:

Today is the start of Day 4 (but actually Day 6 for me - I started on Monday) and I feel GOOD. I have a few ups and downs. Last night we went grocery shopping and I felt somewhat bitter walking around the store, looking at all the food that I won't eat for the rest of the month. It wasn't so much deprivation - it was more of simply being astounded at how much crap there is out there :) But the good news is that I have a positive attitude about this and I am hell bent on sticking to this plan for the month.

What I Like:

- My body feels happy and my stomach is never uncomfortably full. I feel like I'm treating myself well

- I wake up feeling amazing, completely refreshed and ready to take on the day. I go to the gym in the mornings and normally have to drag myself out of bed, but I'm waking up naturally 2 minutes before my alarm clock goes off and can't wait to get up and do stuff!

What I Need to Improve:

- I almost passed out yesterday because I ran out of snacks at work and didn't want to eat anything noncompliant, so I just held out until I could get home. That made me feel terrible - I was getting the hunger shakes and felt so low on energy. My walk from the bus stop to my apartment should only take 5 minutes and it took me about 10 because I was so weak. I have to be better prepared (although -- the reason I ran out of snacks was a co-worker was starving and took me up on my offer of the fruit and nuts I had at my desk - ha!)

- I have been using MyFitnessPal since January to count calories. I know counting calories isn't part of this way of eating, but out of convenience I'm use MFP to keep track of what I eat. I can't help but see the calorie count, and I'm nervous that I'm not eating enough every day. On average, I've been eating about 1250 calories. When I was meticulously counting calories my goal was to eat about 1450 per day. Should I be concerned about this deficit? I'm eating when I feel hungry, and filling myself with good, wholesome food. That should be enough, right?

I'm nervous about this weekend. I can keep to a plan and structure with no problem during the work week, but the weekends are usually treat myself to something nice - and it's a 3 day weekend here! Happy, positive, determined thoughts!

Looking forward to hearing how you're doing too!

Cassie - I understand the reluctance to stop counting calories. Giving up the scale and counting calories or logging food was incredibly difficult for my first Whole30. After years of yo-yo diets I can quote from memory the calorie content of a zillion different foods. It took forever for me to stop counting in my head. I did it instinctively without even trying to because it's what I always did. That part of my first Whole30 was a big fail, but I did stay food compliant. Post Whole30, I eased up on my food restrictions and ended up gaining a bit. Then I worried about it and tried to "be good". Then I turned around and binged. It was a viscious cycle for at least a month. I gained 15 lbs from this before I decided enough was enough and put away the scale. I kept exercising and stopped obsessing about my food. It was a great summer, and I maintained my weight. But now I am back to refocus and get back to eating well every day. Somewhere along the way I learned to accept my body with all its imperfections. Getting stronger at the gym helped a ton. And I don't worry about the scale anymore. I took it out of the house for this Whole30 and honestly don't plan to bring it back. I just don't see how it will benefit me.

Have a great time at the cabin. Jealous!!

Don't take a food scale with you either. If there is 3 ounces of chicken or 4 ounces of chicken on your plate, does it really matter? Eat 5 or 6 instead. You can do this! ;)

Cassie and jhmomi, (and other newbies) I'm new to this forum, too. CaseyD was kind enough to explain that if you scroll down on the forum topic section, there's a topic or section called "Your Whole30 Log." You can start your own log with just yourself or a couple of buddies, or read the posts on others and join an existing log by commenting and "meeting" the others on that log. I've joined CaseyD and others on the "On Our Way to Whole 30 Success" thread for the August Whole30. There's also a Facebook page for those that started August 1 (or thereabouts) that seems to be working well--Whole 30 and Paleo.

Thanks for the info PaulaB. Knew about the FB group but I'm sticking here with this thread or my Whole30 log for now. I'm sure there is a way to keep FB posts private but I like that my friends in real life don't see my posts here. Trying to stay on the down low for this Whole30 and not talk about it too much outside this forum. I got a bit obsessed with first Whole30. This one is much more laid back... :)

Have a great weekend. Glad the FB group going well for those that are in it!

Joyful Susan...I live in Decatur currently, but am moving to Midtown next week. I started August 1st and have been doing okay - finally had a good night's sleep last night. Days 2 and 3 hit me with hangover like headaches, but am hanging in there.

I'm happy to be a buddy to anyone! How do we do that on this forum?

Good luck to all of us!

Gabrielle

P.S. I have the flu--anyone have any history of Paleo as helpful to dealing with flu symptoms?

Hi Gabrielle - this was posted in the daily email yesterday from the Whole30 - talks about dealing with the flu:

If you do come down with something: you'll probably need some sick-time comfort foods to see you through—but those foods shouldn't include sugary ginger-ales, whole wheat crackers, or dry toast. (We know better now, right?)

• Club soda or mineral water: The bubbles help you burp, which can make your stomach feel better, and both provide much-needed hydration.
  • You don't need crackers: Try carb-dense veggies like sweet potato, butternut squash or pumpkin instead of Saltines as easy-to-digest calorie source for your queasy stomach.
  • Ginger and apples: An old cruise ship remedy to help battle nausea – fresh or pickled ginger and sliced apples.
  • Homemade bone broth: Beef, chicken, or veggie all help with a sore throat, warm you up from the chills, and keep you well nourished.
  • Scrambled eggs: The simplicity, digestibility, and comfort of an egg cannot be underestimated. Protein and fat will make you feel better and help your body re-build itself. Eat alongside mashed sweet potatoes or mashed cauliflower to add some quality carbs.
  • Coconut oil: A few extra tablespoons of coconut oil can help shorten the duration of an illness. The lauric acid in coconut oil is thought to dissolve the lipid coating around some viruses and make them more susceptible to attack by the immune system.

For more information, read these articles on how to feed a cold, Whole30-style:

http://whole9life.co...tm-feed-a-cold/

I'm in similar boat as you are - trying to really be cost-efficient and get the motivation to plan and prepare well. I've had to really think about what I want to eat and buy amounts accordingly so I'm not wasting money, but I'm still not stuck with too little. I'm also right in the middle of packing up and moving next week, so don't want to buy too much stuff yet (esp. pantry items) that I'll have to move. But, I know I am worth it, so will do what it takes.

Day 4 and the cravings are finally starting.Not wanting sugar but craving salty.Think I am going to roast the bones I bought yesterday and make a broth.

I must say,today I feel great.I felt the most motivation in the past 4 weeks and managed to organise a pile of stuff that I needed to sort for ages.

Hope everyone is managing well for day 4.

Joyful Susan...I live in Decatur currently, but am moving to Midtown next week. I started August 1st and have been doing okay - finally had a good night's sleep last night. Days 2 and 3 hit me with hangover like headaches, but am hanging in there.

Simdak - I'm an East Cobber! Good luck with your move.

Day 4 and the cravings are finally starting.Not wanting sugar but craving salty.Think I am going to roast the bones I bought yesterday and make a broth.

I must say,today I feel great.I felt the most motivation in the past 4 weeks and managed to organise a pile of stuff that I needed to sort for ages.

Hope everyone is managing well for day 4.

I made chicken stock and it's cooling in the fridge so I can skim off the fat. I might just drink a mug of it later. Yum. Need to get some bones to make bone broth though. Never made it before but sounds good.

Archived