alcohol

Ravin

I kicked off my reintroductions with alcohol last night. I had two shots of high end tequila and a Strongbow. The next morning I feel fine. It also didn't hit me as hard last night as I expected it to. I've never been much of a drinker, and it usually doesn't take a whole beer to get me buzzed.

I think the blood sugar support of W30 eating has improved my alcohol tolerance.

I'm going to have to do some research though. Strongbow is GF but has a bit of added sugars and sulfites (including sugar from corn, though not hfcs). I'm going to see if I can find commercial hard cider that doesn't.

yesterday was my "day 32" and my only reitro was also alcohol (patron). it's the only thing I missed on my whole30 and plan on keeping with the food plan but having drinks if I feel like it. the only difference I really feel is that I wake up the same time usually no matter when I go to sleep and here I am, awake after only a few hours. congrats on your 30. what's strong bow?

Strongbow is a hard cider.

I can't say I missed alcohol on W30. I had one social occasion where drinks were called for, and I wasn't the only one who bowed out for health reasons and just drank water.

I had no trouble with sleep. Fell asleep with the kids about 8:30 and woke at 4:00 as usual.

I'm here to chime in, but probably not add much to your discussion. ;)

I am on day 21, and alcohol (and chocolate!!!) are the first things I plan to re-introduce. In fact, most other things I don't really miss (okay, maybe also cookies. ;) I was never too big of a drinker, either, as I don't like feeling too drunk, so maybe one drink or two in an evening.

I have also never developed the taste for beer, so I am also a hard cider / red wine fanatic, and I would appreciate it if you shared your research results! My favorite brand is Fox Barrel's Blackberry Pear. Strongbow is also really good, as is Crispin and Ace. Other brands I commonly see : Woodchuck, Angry Orchard,  Magner, Hornsby, Stella Artois, Original Sin, Harpoon.

I adore Fox Barrel's Blackberry Pear. I've only had it once, but it's my all-time favorite. I like Woodchucks - I have a sampler pack in the fridge right now (I've had maybe 3 of them in the last 2 weeks). Strongbow is okay, but not as good. I have not tried Angry Orchard, but it's on the list for later. My aunt-in-law has Celiac's, and she usually does either a Woodchuck's or Strongbow.

I don't think Stella is gluten free (it's certainly a real beer, either wheat or barley, both of which are glutenous (if that's a word?).

Yesss, Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear is most definitely delicious. :) Their English Perry and...some other pear flavor are also alright, but nothing beats Blackberry Pear.

You should really try Ace pear, if you haven't yet. Sometimes, it's a little sweet, but still tasty. I like some Woodchuck flavors, but they tend to have much more sugar from what I have noticed. Still and all, whichever seasonal variety with the vanilla(winter?) YUM - wish they made that all year.

To be honest, I have not tried Stella's cider. You're probably right about it containing gluten - I just see it in gas stations all over lately. Oh, and surprisingly, Michelob Ultra Light-whatever-other-adjectives-here makes a pretty drinkable apple cider!

Forgive me if this sounds naive, but would you say ciders are the lesser of evils when it comes to alcohol? Vs. beer/liquor/mixed drinks made with liquors. Particularly if it is a gluten-free variety. I know they tend to have more sugars than beer, and alcohol in general isn't too good for you, but is it less bad? ;)

Also, where would wine fall? I'd suppose both wine and (many) ciders contain sulphites, which is another boogeyman, yes?

Crispin Brut is a great, dry cider that has less sugar, but is still approachable.

I've also has Aspall dry, which at the time was... pretty bitter (I've never liked beer), although it was before I gave up sugar (separate from a whole30). I have a can of Angry Orchard in the fridge, but the sugar content is pretty high, which worries me. Some of the other Fox Barrels have maple syrup added, so tread carefully and read your labels (I think it's Fox Barrel, and not Crispin I'm thinking of). 

Wyders and Ace tend to be particularly sweet. 

Yesss, Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear is most definitely delicious. :) Their English Perry and...some other pear flavor are also alright, but nothing beats Blackberry Pear.

You should really try Ace pear, if you haven't yet. Sometimes, it's a little sweet, but still tasty. I like some Woodchuck flavors, but they tend to have much more sugar from what I have noticed. Still and all, whichever seasonal variety with the vanilla(winter?) YUM - wish they made that all year.

To be honest, I have not tried Stella's cider. You're probably right about it containing gluten - I just see it in gas stations all over lately. Oh, and surprisingly, Michelob Ultra Light-whatever-other-adjectives-here makes a pretty drinkable apple cider!

Forgive me if this sounds naive, but would you say ciders are the lesser of evils when it comes to alcohol? Vs. beer/liquor/mixed drinks made with liquors. Particularly if it is a gluten-free variety. I know they tend to have more sugars than beer, and alcohol in general isn't too good for you, but is it less bad? ;)

Also, where would wine fall? I'd suppose both wine and (many) ciders contain sulphites, which is another boogeyman, yes?

Sooooo, being done with whole30 and all, I finally had some alcohol last night.

I had the same experience as Ravin - didn't get as drunk as I thought I would after 35 days sobriety. I had two pints of Fox Barrel pear on tap - it was pretty yummy.

I did, however, start to get a headache halfway through the first glass -from the sugar? from the alcohol? Not sure. I had a water brought out, and essentially would drink half the cider, half the water, half the cider, half the water. This helped me tremendously. :)

Archived