Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

I am struggling with eating everything now. I make food and end up throwing it away. But here is what I found is good for an early breakfast. I mix an egg and 1/2 sweet potato in the magic bullet ( you could put spices-- Penzeys cake spice or Penzeys sunny Paris but I don't so early in the morning) and fry them on medium low in ghee. They make pretty bland pancakes and they are good.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelly,

Sounds really yummy and I might have to try that on my week-end days.  But I don't have much time on work days with my  commute and all and I am not willing to get up any earlier than 4:30 AM.  I am a firm believer in the importance of sleep.  I pack my breakfast and I don't like the way most egg dishes keep as leftovers.  I have tried to sub sausage in but it really didn't make a difference from my normal hard boiled eggs and fruit.  It's still better than my pre-paleo days when I got a hot chocolate and muffin from Caribou coffee every morning  :P  

So Whats the struggle with eating about?  Is it that you don't have an appetite or do some of the foods not sit well with your digestion when you eat them?  Maybe something else...

The thing I struggle with is needing instant food, when I suddenly don't have time to prepare a meal.  Seems to happen almost once a day, what with having 5 kids (including 2 college kids) at home.  Something always comes up that has me unexpectedly or absentmindedly without a portable meal.  I often end up grabbing a piece of fruit.  It's real food, but it's not a meal.

For my hair, I colour.  My grey looks dirty white, and doesn't suit my colouring at all.  Unfortunately, my hair doesn't like to hold colour very well anymore either, so I'm quite a bit lighter and less auburn than my natural colour, whether I like it or not.  I don't, but it's better than the very aging-on-me grey roots....

Terresa, the color you have chosen looks great - you look so young and vibrant.  

You certainly have a house full I can see why you sometimes find yourself that situation.  As moms we tend to place our families before ourselves.  Even when we have a meal schedule planned out someone always needs something that puts a monkey wrench in our plans.      Even it you prepackaged some healthy foods ready to go one of the kids could grab it for themselves!  My son was an empty hole and I could never keep enough food on hand.  But how lucky are you to have your kids so close at hand.  My son lives on the east coast and i am in the midwest.  I love the quite somedays but on others I miss the activity that comes with having him around.

Teresa-- here are my tricks for portable meals-- canned tuna (wild planet with a flip top), canned salmon, canned hearts of palm, canned artichoke hearts. I keep them in my briefcase and another "set" in my office. If I'm home the one thing I always have is home made mayo and so I use it with the tuna or salmon.

As for dying hair-- I do but I'm all about never say never when it comes to looking good. I think we all need to feel good about how we look. At 61 I often feel invisible. The other night I met some friends for dinner and as I was walking to meet them, for the first time in a long time I felt some guys eyes on me in the street. Gave him a big smile!!!! It's the Whole 30 look!,

I love it.  Who says 61 isn't sexy!  

I think the being lost in the crowd is part of the reason I don't dye my hair.  Most women in our age group do but I work with some amazing, beautiful women who do not.  It encouraged me to grow mine out.  I started getting compliments, lots of compliments.   It feels good to get that kind of recognition.  

You look beautiful in your pic so it is working for you.  I think we need to go with our comfort level.  

HAHA, that picture is from 20 years ago on my honeymoon. I put it up on FB as a joke (notice my overly large glasses). But thanks!

Hi everyone - natural - I used to color my hair until spring of last year - in March I started swelling around my face, etc.  I went to an emergency care center and was put on steroids....saw my dr. - don't know we'll send you to an allergist - 29 patch test - well your allergic to nickel, but I don't know why you would swell up like that.  It happened 2 more times. I read Wheat Belly in July - been wheat/grain/sugar free since then - lost 34 pounds - been in a stall - and that's how I wound up with w30.  I probably will not color my hair anymore - I have a gray streak at the front and a few grays here and there, but mostly a dark, mousy brown --- unless the sun bleaches it. 

I don't struggle daily. Some days I'm full from meal 1 and don't want too much meal 2 - I was in the habit of eating meal 3 and then grazing the evening away.  Not doing that is a struggle some days.  I like my evening snacks.....really bad habit - I'm not hungry, just "snackry"

I also love fresh fruit.  Keeping that intake down is hard.

Terry, that is a good reason not to dye your hair.  I love grey streaks in hair.  I bet it looks beautiful.  

Part of the whole 30 process is breaking those old habits we have around food.  But its good to be self aware - to know that you are not hungry when you have that desire to eat is powerful.  I have habits on that order as well.  One of my favorite things to do when I had a free afternoon to myself is to go to a bookstore.  I use to always grab a hot chocolate at the in store coffee shop and leisurely look at the books.  Now every time I can escape to a bookstore for an hour or two I feel deprived because I can no longer have my hot chocolate.  It's just a habit, but it will take more than the 20 days I've been doing the whole 30 to break it

Mnmagpie----I love a bookstore - right now I don't go too much as I usually spend too much time and too much money there.....LOL  The only thing I really liked out --- would have been a caramel machiado (sp) ---now I don't even want one. YAY...... 

I do love my coffee and will address that later when I'm over the hump on some of these other things stirring around in my head!  

Say - does anyone here have trouble really LIKING squash.  I grew up in a land of canned veggies - and didn't like anything until after I was married, moved to Ca. and learned that veggies don't necessarily come in a can.  I tried fixing acorn squash as savory and I have to say YUK.  I never liked sweet potato until w30 -- I love it roasted (or pan sauteed) with cinnamon - butternut too.  I was looking for something slightly different for my squash and I ended up throwing it out as no one liked it........ooooppps. They tolerate the cinnamon squash......or fritters......

I love butternut squash. I tried kaboucha last week and that was interesting, a nice nutty flavor. Very difficult to cut though. I am going to try acorn this week.

I do admit I make my squash more on the 'pumpkin pie' scale than savory. I don't eat onions, so that kind of limits me.

WOW Terry I could have written your post.  I have never been a big squash/sweet potatoes/yam fan either.  I have broadened out my food list last year but these foods are not my first choice.  I do like sweet potato fries :)   Confession coming up:  I tried turnips for the first time this summer.  I picked up some baby ones at the farmers market and put them in soup.  They actually made a pretty good sub for white potatoes.  

So what are your feelings on Avocados?  I HATE them.  I don't like the texture or the taste.  

I like turnips, they would be great in crock pot stews. Also parsnips and rutabagas are interesting. I've also been buying beets and baking them and then slicing and reheating with meals. But be warned (TMI) beet poop can be scary!!!!!

LOL beet poop  :D

Yep thats what I put my turnips in.  Beef browned then cut into cubes, a ton of veggies including turnips and yams, bone broth and some herbs from my garden cooked all day in the crock pot.  YUM.  

I grew up on meat and potatoes at every meal with canned vegetables and wonder bread served on the side.  The meat was probably local and not much different that I seek out today.  I love potatoes made any way but their not whole 30.  Canned Veggies:  what were our parents thinking?  And Wonder Bread..... that was probably the HFCS of the 60's.  I probably still have some of that stuff stuck deep inside my digestive track  ;)

I am finding more room in my heart?head?food locker? for sweet potatoes or yams or what ever the store says they are!  I too like the cinnamon flavor as opposed to the savory.  I have found that cubing up squash tossing in EVOO with garlic and then Roasting it tastes pretty fair......I haven't tried a squash fritter, but zucchini fritters and sweet potato fritters are tasty.......and I always have leftovers for other meals.  I'm learning to like foods I wouldn't touch before w30.

WOW Terry I could have written your post.  I have never been a big squash/sweet potatoes/yam fan either.  I have broadened out my food list last year but these foods are not my first choice.  I do like sweet potato fries :)   Confession coming up:  I tried turnips for the first time this summer.  I picked up some baby ones at the farmers market and put them in soup.  They actually made a pretty good sub for white potatoes.  

So what are your feelings on Avocados?  I HATE them.  I don't like the texture or the taste.  

I am not a fan of turnips- so they would have to be in a soup/or stew --- I really think its because I grew up in a time and place when those were considered "poor"  people food - they were a staple when I was younger to stretch out the potato crop....so I don't hunt them out.  Never really had a love for beets, but I have cooked a few lately as they are so good for you.   I do love to chop them up in a green salad!

AVOCADOS = we/I love them - in guac., chopped with tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalepenos, splash of vinegar/evoo, salt, pepper, and feta cheese(feta not w30).  On sandwiches, on chili, with eggs, baked in oven with egg in the center, as a side.  Mouth is watering right now!  LOVE THEM!

I like butternut squash roasted with olive oil and a little Penzeys cake spice or pumpkin pie spice. Add any of the following: raisins, dates, pecans. In addition for a bit savory-- add onions, Brussels sprouts. Oven at 400 put the veggies flat on a baking sheet. Roast for 35-45 minutes turning once until really soft and caramelized.

Could you roast the sweet potatoes/squash/yam on the stove top and make them come out similar to the open roasting?  After work I just don't feel like making a big production by cooking in the oven.  I do a lot of stove top cooking on weekdays.  

Fritters - sounds really good.  Are they similar to Latkas.  I'll have to find a good root vegetable recipe for latkas this year as white potatoes are off the menu.  Sweet potatoes might be the ticket.

It's easier in the oven than on the stovetop. I promise. You don't need to look. And you can make them whenever you want and reheat them so you don't need to prepare them immediately before dinner.

I have a lifetime of recipes for latkes. Sweet potato, zucchini, carrot. Mixed together. Let me know what you want.

Could you roast the sweet potatoes/squash/yam on the stove top and make them come out similar to the open roasting?  After work I just don't feel like making a big production by cooking in the oven.  I do a lot of stove top cooking on weekdays.  

Fritters - sounds really good.  Are they similar to Latkas.  I'll have to find a good root vegetable recipe for latkas this year as white potatoes are off the menu.  Sweet potatoes might be the ticket.

I've done them on top of the stove - either way was fine for me.  It's nice when I roast them - I play with the toddlers...LOL  But if the toddlers are busy-- saving the world---- I just plop them in the pan on the stove.....

Fritters are easy(I shred mine in the food processor) and they keep well.  I'm no sure about Latkas---I don't think I've eaten one before......shredded veggie, egg, onion, garlic if you like - I can post something if you like.  Gotta run - chick in the oven.....

Greetings, ladies!  May I join you?  This sounds like my kind of crowd.  I'm 57, I love bookstores, and I'm convinced Shelley's latke recipes will be every bit as good as that eggplant curry recipe she shared on another thread.

My hair is natural.  I started getting my first greys in my late teens, colored my hair for 25 years, then got sick and tired of doing it.  The older I got, the greyer I got, and the faster the roots showed up.  It became too much trouble.  I had no idea what my real color would be when I decided to stop.  I let the roots grow out an inch or so, then told the hairdresser to cut off everything that wasn't grey.

I love avocado.  I just purchased a 3 year old tree from the organic store I patronize.  It cost me a good penny, but it should start producing this fall and will hopefully save me some money in the long run.  I eat a half or a whole one almost every day.  Those buggers ain't cheap!

I had to laugh at the canned veg talk.  In our house it was frozen, not canned, but I was out on my own before I ever had a fresh vegetable.  I'm guessing our mothers were from the crossover generation--old enough that they knew what it was to spend hours preparing meals from scratch, and totally awed by the advent of convenience foods.  The Wonder bread came already baked and sliced, and the vegetables were already washed, trimmed, and cut up.  Just heat and eat! 

Betty Crocker Answer Cakes!  Anyone remember those?  Everything you needed to make a cake, all in a convenient box--the cake mix, the frosting mix, even the little disposable cake pan.  You just added an egg and some water, and you were in business.  Made it really easy to have cake for dessert any time you wanted.  (Probably the beginning of our SAD diet)

Anyway, pleased to meet you all.  Hope you don't mind if I pop in once in a while.

I love avocado, but I have to be careful with it. It's one of those foods that I don't do well, digestively.

What I do with squash is cut it up and roast it on the weekend and then put in the fridge. Then I add it to lunches or dinner and reheat it. Some stores also sell frozen cut up squash in bags. I know Whole Foods does.

Welcome Maryann!  the more the merrier.  

Your trip down memory lane brought back some memories.  When I was a kid we use to go out to eat at a supper club and they served a salad with the meal.  Iceberg lettuce was my introduction to fresh veggies.  My mom didn't do to much baking as she was 'allergic to flour' so I didn't get to experience the boxed cakes.  But I do remember Chef Boyardee package food.  Pizza was a treat because we could make it ourselves.  In the box was a package of flour that you added water to for the dough, a can of sauce, and a minuscule packet of graded parmesan cheese. (The kind that does not need to be refrigerated.)  But my top memory is my mom getting creative with the package lasagna hotdish*.  She went through this stage where she put frozen tater tots in everything.  Chef boyardee boxed lasagna with tater tots mixed in.  Yum  :P  I think I'd rather go with the squash recipe ideas your guys are coming up with any day.

* Minnesotan translation -  hotdish = casserole.

Archived