Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

I love yams and almost all squash, but can't get enthused about avocados.

I come from the good old British tradition of boil-the-heck-out-of-it cooking, and scandalized my older family members by adopting stirfry as a favorite cooking method for veggies.  I don't think I've opened a canned veggie in about three decades.  *lol*

These days, it's sauteed or baked/roasted veggies that I really enjoy!

Right now, with pumpkin beginning to show up everywhere, I'm feeling tempted by pumpkin spice lattes.  We're having quite a storm here right now, so that really has me in the mood for a hot beverage.  It's not quite a craving, more of a "that'd be nice."

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I remember-- Franco Macaroni and Cheese in a can. My parents are still alive-- in their late 80s. My mom actually got healthy in her later years but now-- everything is frozen food and stuff with chemicals in it and they can't understand why they always have upset stomachs. It drives me wild.

You can follow my Pinterest boards at Michelle Lobovits for the latkes and other good stuff. I don't know how to attach a recipe from my iPad

My favorite one is zucchini and sweet potato latkes from the blog "I Breathe I''m Humgry". I made them last year and they were great.

So funny - you guys have sent me a tv reel (as we used to say) of my foods growing up.  Except we had Colonial Bread -(local Indiana) - Wonder Bread was much more costly - ah.......well - all the "wholesome" breads are 5 and 6 dollars a loaf - what? "wholesome"  SAD.

Magpie - fritters are great- they are one of those foods that taste good heated up(I usually throw them in a pan with a little CO to crisp them again - but they are good from the microwave.  I too need to add more veggies in my meals, but I just get so tired of cooking up stuff all the time - the rest of the family are not into healthy eating - so I have to cook other veggies --- yikes I know -- Like corn, mashed potatoes---things the kids will eat--on top of which I cook my veggies (I always put a sample of squash, sweet potato, bok choy, or whatever I'm cooking on their plates - hoping the rule of familiarity will come into play - sometime they eat it all - sometimes they just take a bite-- that is what I look for - a bite).  I always intend on a cook-up over the weekend -- sometimes I get it done - sometimes not.  I do have some time during the week while they are napping.........but usually am getting dinner started then.......HMMMMMM  sounds like a whine! Sorry - thinking out loud --- so what has all this to do with older ladies on w30?    FOOD..........snacking.........state of mind.   (wondering what state I left my mind in!!! )  LOL  Here's to a super, day for all of us!

I had a different experience growing up. I come from an Italian family and we rarely ate processed foods. My mom used to bake a lot (I did too) and sometimes she even made her own pasta and ravioli. We never ate out or went to McDonalds or stuff like that. We did have take out Chinese food once a year on New Years.

Of course when I grew up and was out on my own, I ruined all that by eating junk. But I'm back on track now. My mom laughs at me when she sees all the stuff I cook now. 'You would never eat that when you were a kid!', she likes to say. I was a very picky eater.

I'll try not to make too big of a splash as I jump in!!

52 (53 in a couple of weeks)

Funny thing on the hair color.  I used to color mine just for fun from time to time and then when I started getting grey I stopped :lol:

Now suddenly it's poking at me again, that perhaps, just perhaps, I should color my hair again....just for fun.

Part of me is afraid I'll like it to much and I just don't want to become a slave to coloring my hair nor do I want to be one with roots out there.

So we'll see...

My famiy grew up with eating mostly freshish foods, there were not a lot of meals out of a box though there were vegetables out of cans.

I however was a HUGE fan of meals out of boxes for most of my adult life and it wasn't until I got sick with Rheumatoid Arthritis and was introduced to the Paleo plan a year later that I took a solid look at what I was putting in my mouth.

Today I hit yet another milestone in this whole adventure - I made Brussels Sprouts!!

Ok, they weren't great :lol: I sauteed them in Bacon grease and seasoned with a bit of Salt, Pepper and Garlic powder.  
They were the veggie for my breakfast this morning, and now I can't wait until the first big family meal when my Sister-in-law (fantastic cook!) makes hers and I don't make a face as they go by. 

Biggest issue I'm having now is hot flashes - they're driving me nuts.

Short nutshell:
RA Meds started May 2009, last period Dec 2010 until 900 days later when SURPRISE :o

On Day 21 and about the last 10ish days I've noticed hot flashes are a daily if not multiple times daily occurence.

Part of me thinks that the RA meds or the RA itself pushed me into menopause and now that I'm better and decreasing meds my body is trying to rewind.

Ok, hope I didn't push anyone underwater with the wake caused when I jumped in - I didn't mean to ramble so

:rolleyes:

BAH, hot flashes are the worst! I've been having them on/off for years. I had some bleeding issues when I was 48 and I had to have an endrometrial ablation. So I haven't had a period since then, but my 'official' menopause started a few years after. HRT helped, but then I had some suspicious breast issues (had a negative biopsy because of calcifications) so my doctor doesn't want me on the HRT any longer. I think they were making me anxious anyway. I've tried many of the OTC products (except the soy ones) and some do work for a bit, but  not that well. Right now I'm in a good waning phase, but I'm sure they will be back.

RA is a fear of mine. I have several AI issues and I did do the AIP the first W30 and when reintroducing eggs I found that they do cause a lot of joint pain, but I don't have any severe problems.Hopefully sticking to an anti-inflammatory diet can help with that.

Welcome Barb!  Glad you decided to make such a big splash.  2013 really has been a year of change for you.  That is one impressive list of self growth/improvement you've got going on.

I had my last cycle when I was 52.  I have traditionally been a freeze baby so I kind of liked feeling warm for once in my life.  What I didn't like was the night sweats.  I'm glad I'm finally done with those (hope I didn't just curse myself).  I also had the experience of thinking I was done with the whole business when after well over a year it came back with a vengeance.  My son made the mistake of calling me that day.  He's a dr. so I told him told him why I was cranky.  He started laughing - I think he said something like 'Thats really funny',  which brought out the snarky comment 'only a man would think this is funny'.  All in all it was probably a good lesson for him in dealing with menopausal women.  

For years I have dealt with fibromyalgia due to an serious accident I was in @ 20 years ago.  I also had constant joint pain.  After I started eating paleo back in January the pain went away.  Sometimes I still have a twinge but twinges are easy compared to constant pain.

Mnmagpie - sorry to be dumb - but has this way of eating helped you with your fibro. symptoms.......I have 2 very dear friends who have fribro. among other things - one with a hubby with Lou Gehrigs'........so wish they would jump on the band wagon........

Welcome aboard the spicy crones train wheresanita.  

"Mnmagpie - sorry to be dumb - but has this way of eating helped you with your fibro. symptoms.......I have 2 very dear friends who have fribro. among other things - one with a hubby with Lou Gehrigs'........so wish they would jump on the band wagon........"

Short version of the answer is YES!.  It didn't take long either.  I started eating paleo back in Feb of this year.  Less than one month into going grain free I realized that I didn't have the pain in my body anymore.  I wasn't eating as clean as I am now either  Another benefit is that the discomfort of the Morton's neuroma in my left foot is significantly reduced. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

I also have friends that I know would benefit from eating this way but I have discovered that you the old saying 'you can lead the horse to water but you can't make her drink' is oh so true.  At first I was kind of preachy but now I talk about it only if asked or they make a comment about my weight loss.  People tend to be more interested in the weight loss aspect then the health benefits.  Kinda sad but it does open the door for conversation.

Question for the group:  In what ways has eating this way changed your life for the better?

Avocado sprinkled with truffle salt..ridiculously good (if you like truffles!)...

Now I'm gonna go looking for truffle salt - this has been on my mind since you posted it!!! LOL

Welcome aboard the spicy crones train wheresanita.  

"Mnmagpie - sorry to be dumb - but has this way of eating helped you with your fibro. symptoms.......I have 2 very dear friends who have fribro. among other things - one with a hubby with Lou Gehrigs'........so wish they would jump on the band wagon........"

Short version of the answer is YES!.  It didn't take long either.  I started eating paleo back in Feb of this year.  Less than one month into going grain free I realized that I didn't have the pain in my body anymore.  I wasn't eating as clean as I am now either  Another benefit is that the discomfort of the Morton's neuroma in my left foot is significantly reduced. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

I also have friends that I know would benefit from eating this way but I have discovered that you the old saying 'you can lead the horse to water but you can't make her drink' is oh so true.  At first I was kind of preachy but now I talk about it only if asked or they make a comment about my weight loss.  People tend to be more interested in the weight loss aspect then the health benefits.  Kinda sad but it does open the door for conversation.

Question for the group:  In what ways has eating this way changed your life for the better?

Wow - all of us are in some kind of struggle to be healthier.  So glad for this thread....if you find a way to force this WOE down someone's throat - (with kindness and love) let me know -- I really hate to see someone I love go through life will illness.   

In response to the question - I can move easier, cross my legs, walk farther, breathe easier, smile longer, have more endurance for the day, some days more patience for the toddlers, brain fog is much better, sleep is much better, aches and pains of countless years of abusing my body are much less, rashes gone, better tolerance for heat - becoming a better, more diversified cook and I'm sure a bunch of other things that I just take for granted now -- climbing stairs so much easier - balance much better.  

I still have a lot of self-doubt - about food and keeping it all under control.  I'm on day 39 - so glad I've stuck with it so far.  Learning a lot about my body and the "what nots".....great question---had to think!

Hope everyone has a super day!

I'm jumping in, if you don't mind, ladies.  SOOOO glad to be here.  I'm on my second W30.  Finished one up last week, took the weekend off to visit my son at college (stayed very primal, but not W30 compliant).

I've been primal since January, did well, lost some lbs.  Started to veer off road, then discovered W9 and W30.  I stayed very compliant and lost 8 lbs in 30 days, then another 1.5 lbs the next two weeks on it.  I'm down about 20 lbs since the beginning of the year.  I'm thrilled. Feel better than I have in years, and am sustaining this lifestyle easily.

I am also on another forum, which is good, but I find they get off track and, as many of you have experienced, we're not really made of the same stuff 20 somethings are made of. I also found I was discouraged that I didn't lose 50 lbs by now, since they often have huge weight losses.  I am so grateful for Primal and especially this W9 website, as they focus on the stuff that matters.

I walk several miles several times a week.  I do a fair amount of stretching and am trying to build some muscle, but I hate the gym.  We do hiking and I also garden.  That is enough, as those things add quality of life for me, and I'm all about that, at this point in time.

Love walking down memory lane with the food stuff.  LOL.  I grew up in an Italian household, also, so no frankenfoods, but too many wheat based products, and beans.  We were beans and greens, salads and crusty bread people - still love it all, but amazingly don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

I started another W 30 Oct 1, as I do have about 25 more pounds to lose and I'm still fighting a bit of an evening snacking demon, who I need to slay.  I really want to go into the holidays healthy and in control and I don't want to feel a victim to food.

Thanks for having me, and letting me rant.

Chrysalisc - We have two black and white Springers.  Love them!

Yay!!!  I thought maybe I was the only person doing the Whole30 over the age of 50.  I'm actually 60 years old and have been Whole30 compliant for 57 days.  I started this for health reasons and I have only regretted about 10 days out of the 57.  Ha Ha!  That was only because it was 110 degrees outside and I could hear an ice cold beer calling my name.  That is what I miss most, but so far it has been worth every little carbonated bubble that I have resisted. 

Since I'm at work right now, I can't really post much, but it's so nice to read the issues, ups, downs and progress of women my age.  The Whole30 has been a great thing for me and I can't wait to share.

Thanks, y'all! :) 

Oh great Texasbred - I'm glad we have someone here doing 2 consecutive w30's ---I am so doubting that I can get to 60 -- It seems everything I "can't have" on w30 but "can have" eating Paleo know my name and they seem to be shouting at me............ackkkkk.   I have that old nemesis (you will only eat one) barking at me.......grrrrrr.       Maybe I'll just go to bed.....LOL

Welcome Applegirl and Texasbred.  There is a great group of women on this board so come back often and visit a spell.  I was checking out the location where some of us live and I bet if we ever met in person we would have a wonderful collection of accents.  Of course I would be the only one without an accent  :P.  I just don't understand how other people know I'm from Minnesota when I travel.

I love hearing all the benefits being experience by this way of eating.  I have more than the ones I mentioned above as well.  I am much more even keeled emotionally, less brain fog, I hardly burn at all now when I am in the sun, and I fully expect to have a lower number on the scale when I get on it on 6 days.  Yep I'm on day 24!  I have to make an appointment for my annual physical  soon.  I am looking forward to see what my numbers look like.  

I have a question for the Italians in the group:  You mean Chef Boyardee and Franco American are not real Italian food?   :D

No seriously I am so jealous of all the great food you ate growing up.  Italian food is definitely my favorite.

Hello everybody!  Chrysalis, thanks so much for starting this thread!  I'm 45 and I'm on day 16 of my first whole 30.  I'm a little flabby and a little apple shaped (ok, a lot apple shaped) so I know my profile picture is never going to be me in sports bra, no matter how many whole 30s I do.  It's nice to hear that there are kindred spirits out there who are also just trying to be healthy. 

My primary reason for trying this plan was for the increased energy that everyone talks about (tiger blood, right?).  I tend to have a lot of fatigue with no medical cause that any doctor can determine.   I also have a chronic sore throat (again, multiple tests and doctors haven't been able to find a cause).  The throat got much worse around day 7 but is now back to just the regular level of pain.  Unfortunately I'm actually more fatigued now than before I started Whole 30!  (Not looking for a troubleshoot here; I'll go to that thread if I need to.  I'm following the template really well so I think I just need to give it more time).  So I can't add anything to discussion of how I've benefitted because I'm not seeing it yet.  But hearing how well you all are doing gives me hope and encouragement!

Nice to hear about everyone's childhood food memories.  Afraid if I join in the reminiscing I might trigger some cravings so I'll pass for now....

Welcome veggie girl.  Getting healthy is important.  I suspect a lot of people doing a whole thirty are here because they have health issues that standard medicine can't find the reason for.  It says in the book that some people need to be on the eating plan for more than 30 days.  I  know I haven't conquered my sugar craving yet and I still have intestinal issues.  I know it will take a lot longer that 30 days to heal those areas of my health.  

When it come down to it we are all on a journey to better health.  So come on back if you need some support OR just to hang out.  There is a great group of women here and a lot of years of experience to boot!

I finished my 2nd Whole 30 yesterday. Last time I lost 9 lbs, this time I lost 6, for a total of 15. I did gain some back inbetween. So I really happy. I'd still like to lose another 15. But I feel great. I celebrated with a piece of chocolate (with no soy).

I will keep to this diet as much as I can. Hubby is home for 2 weeks and wants to do the program. He was doing great in the beginning, but he travels a lot and it's very hard for him to stick to the program in a hotel.

On the aging side...I had to get new glasses and my reading vision went from +125 to +250. That really stinks. But at least I'll be able to read now!

Good afternoon, ladies!  Hope everyone is well and able to go on this magical mystery tour one more day.  The good thing is, the longer you do it, the easier it gets.  I don't think I turned the corner until about day 49 or 50 as far as the cravings go.  I was already feeling better by day 15 health wise. 

My problems started out with a little "IBS", as they call it when they don't really know what it is.  Before that I was perfectly healthy.  That was about 20 years ago and over the years it progressed into a very debilitating issue.  One morning I woke up and literally couldn't bend my joints without severe pain.  The intestinal problems had put so much stress on my body that I now had developed Sjogren's.  After having seen eight different doctors, five of which were gastroenterologists, I knew it was going to be up to the Good Lord to help me help myself.  That is when I discovered the book.  You know the one.  It Starts With Food!  I didn't wait to start a couple of days later or a week later.  I started that very day.  It wasn't as difficult for me as some, because I had already given up grains and dairy, but I was still sick most of the time.  I only THOUGHT I was eating pretty good.

mnmagpie, you are right about all the extra added benefits.  If your body can change this much and begin to heal itself in such a short period of time just by eating a certain way, imagine what it will be like weeks and months from now. 

terryd, hang in there, because it is so worth the challenge.  It becomes less of what you "can't" have and more of what you can have that is going to make you feel even better every single day. 

You ladies ROCK!!!!  You should be very proud that you have taken your fate into your own hands.

terryd - Texasbred is right - Hang in there.  It really does get easier. I'm on my second W30.  Did a W45 earlier this summer.  This really is a launchpad for a complete lifestyle change, and since your primal anyways, this shouldn't be that much of a change.  Once I got through the first few weeks, I really saw that I needed to clean up my primal thing a bit.  I tend to go off road, when I stop paying attention. 

Be creative with your cooking and enjoy the process, as a positive attitude is essential to finish (at least I think so). If you see it as deprivation, it will be much harder to finish.  But you know all of this.  Hang in kiddo!

Archived