Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the welcome, Applegirl! 

I have to say that today has been rather surprising for me.  As anyone who's ever worked in an office knows, someone is always bringing in some sort of pastry, candy, etc.  Well, I started Whole30 five days ago and today is the first day someone brought in doughnuts.  This nice person set them at the receptionist window (MY window) where everyone could come and pick one up.  Since the doughnuts took up the space at the window, the candy dish that normally sits up there has been on my desk.  I have not had a single craving for either.  I can honestly say that it hasn't even fazed me.  This is amazing to me!  I am anticipating, however, that somewhere down the line, it'll hit me. <_<

Thanks for the welcome! I gave up caffeine 30 years ago for fibrocystic breast disease - so really just like the taste of decaf coffee with all the stuff in it! I guess once I have done the first whole 30 I may try a tiny bit of stevia in my coffee and limit it to one cup in the AM.

I hope you had a typo when you said fruit once or twice a week - not what I have read in my book? Anyone else here to reassure me? I usually only have one apple per day and sometimes skip it. I have had one banana in 12 days. I have noticed my stomach is not nearly as bloated as before when I was eating lots of carbs.

I attempted chicken fried venison last night with coconut flour and found it to be too gritty. My husband is a hunter so we get lots of wild meat! I have slept really well the last few nights, no huge amounts of energy, but still feel really good and am enjoying not being hungry all the time and having the cravings stop! I have not weighed and will not weigh till my 30th day!

Veggie girl, I think that the recommendation for weight loss is to keep the fruit down to two or three servings per week.  There is a shopping list though that shows which fruit are better choices than others.  Some are known to feed some people's sugar dragons and cause cravings.

Hi everyone.  I really need some support.  I already posted on the troubleshooting thread, but I feel more connected to this group.  I reintroduced gluten on Monday and I am overwhelmed by cravings.  I was surprised because I didn't notice any benefit from eliminating it during whole 30 so I thought reintro wouldn't be a big deal.  I'm not going to reintro anything else until this settles down.  I've been snacking when not hungry on compliant stuff but still worried.  Made an swypo dessert for the first time ever today.  I'm heading in a bad direction....

Hey Vegi Girl, You have overcome so much and done so well, I hate to see you struggling.   First of all take a deep breath and relax.  You will work it out.  My experience is  that I absolutely cannot eat bread or pasta or any wheat products without triggering a huge downward spiral.  I noticed it back when I was doing regular primal and it lead me to trying my first W30, which was very successful. Then I started my second W30 and had to do a restart due to the fact that I had a night of bread eating and it was a disaster - I could see an entire week of snacking and bingeing ahead.  

So, you're not alone.  You may find that it is something you just can't have.  I don't think I'll ever be able to reintroduce it as a regular part of my diet.

In the meantime, you're going to have to make a decision, and if you want to really gain control over your food impulses, you may need to power through the next several days and go without.  I'd go back to the W30 template for several days and then maybe introduce something else and leave the gluten products out for now, if not permanently.  Just my opinion.

Maybe the moderators have better advice.  I'm sure they'll chime in.

Best of luck to you.  Let us know how you make out.  I know you're going to make the right decision.

Applegirl, thanks so much for the support and encouragement! What you wrote is exactly what I needed to hear. I think you are 100% right. I need to go back to whole 30 for a few days and power through. I'm going to focus on feeling better right now and doing the right thing for my body today.

And in my opinion, the moderators might have different advice but it couldn't be better ! :)

I'm not ready to make a permanent decision about gluten in the future-- it's too overwhelming to think about that right now.

Vegi Girl, So glad you're hanging in there.  Sometimes it's just really tough.  There certainly isn't any reason for you to make a permanent decision on the gluten thing, I was just sharing my experience.  Reintroduce something less "dangerous" and deal one challenge at a time.

I'm on day 19 of my second W30.  I don't feel like I'm losing too much weight this time, but I'll know more in a couple of weeks.  I feel really good.  Still struggling a bit with evening snacking,  Definitely an emotional thing, as I'm not hungry.  Generally I can power through, but every once in a while I break down and grab something - food compliant, but not timing compliant.  

Onward and Upward.  How is everyone else doing?

I ate a piece of apple bread that my neighbor baked last week, and I've been sick almost all week. It's just a reminder that I can't eat that stuff. Ever.

You feel so good when you don't eat it the bad stuff you forget what happens when you do.

I ate a piece of apple bread that my neighbor baked last week, and I've been sick almost all week. It's just a reminder that I can't eat that stuff. Ever.

You feel so good when you don't eat it the bad stuff you forget what happens when you do.

It's amazing, isn't it.  Years ago I was a smoker and then I quit.  I never thought smoking really affected the way I felt (a little denial there).  I went back to smoking for a bit and felt awful and remembered that that was how I felt all the time.  Of course I haven't had a cig in almost 30 years so it's a thing of the past, but the principle is similar.  I think we really feel it because our bodies are now not loaded with toxic garbage.  I told my husband that if someone was dropped here from an earlier century, and ate most of the items in a typical American supermarket, they would probably be violently ill for a long period of time.  It also shows that the human body can tolerate loads of junk before it finally just gives out.

As an aside, I do plan to make a loaf or two of banana bread using almond flour for the holidays (not during my W30).  It will be a treat.  I made some several months ago, and I must say it was delicious.  I was working on getting my mom off of grains as well, and as she has a sweet tooth and is in her 80's I wanted to make sure she was fine with everything.  The interesting thing was that we would each eat a slice and be fine.  I made a loaf and it lasted us a week.  Now, if that was regular banana bread, it wouldn't have lasted the night.  There is a difference in how the body reacts to wheat and sugar.  It's the satiety v craving thing that they do such a great job talking about in ISWF.  Crazy.  

I'm on day 20.  Onward and Upward!

Hi everyone...I've been reading all the posts for awhile and thought I would jump in. I'm 65 and I'm on day 18. I'm feeling a little discouraged since I'm not feeling the "magic" everyone is talking about. I don't think I've lost any weight either not that I have a lot to lose. The one good thing is that the arthritis in my hands is almost gone. I'm eating 3 meals and no snacks and I'm not hungry in between. I'm going to cut back on my food thinking I may be eating too much....either protein or fat. I know on some days I have overdone the nuts!! Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi everyone!

Bet, hope the apple bread has cleared your system and you're feeling better.

Applegirl, fantastic about Day 20!  (Although by now it's a few days later).  Great job! 

Welcome Mommer!  In addition to this thread, the troubleshooting thread is a great place to post specifics about what you're eating and get feedback as to whether you're on track.  And I think the moderators follow that thread pretty closely so you'll get some "official" responses quickly.  Sounds like you've made tremendous progress on the arthritis--  that may be the first step in your "magic."    

As for me, I'm not doing so well with whole 30.  It's been a week since I re-introed gluten and I feel like I just can't get back to the place I was before, even though I went right back to whole 30 after the one day re-intro and haven't re-introed anything else.  After some great support and suggestions, I've been able to eliminate snacking when I'm not hungry.   Here's the issue-- my meals are not as satisfying as they were.  I'm finding I'm physiologically hungry after 3-4 hours-- "steamed fish and veggie hungry".  I do the mini meal snack, and I've tried to bump up protein and fat during my meals. 

That satiation was really the main benefit I got from whole 30, and now it's gone.  I don't think I'm better off than before, when I was eating a clean "mediterranean style" diet but hungry every three hours.   And that lifestyle was a lot easier.  Right now I feel like my entire life is about food-- all my meals take so long to eat and I spend hours and hours cooking.  I'm constantly assessing whether I am hungry, and noticing how long the meals are keeping me full.  I feel so overwhelmed and exhausted from everything I have to do to stay compliant-- I've actually cried about it a few times.  I really miss my old foods, and the way I'm eating is causing tension with my family.  I don't think I want to do this anymore, but I want to make a planned exit, not a "slip".  I'm going to keep on for a few more days and re-assess, but I don't have much hope.

Sorry to be such a downer.  I thought it was better to be honest, because I didn't want to just disappear from our thread.  You guys have been so great.  I want to particularly express my gratitude to Applegirl-- you've been my saving grace more than a few times.  I'm glad it's working so well for you and for everyone else.  I wish you all the best of luck.

Hi everyone!

Bet, hope the apple bread has cleared your system and you're feeling better.

Applegirl, fantastic about Day 20!  (Although by now it's a few days later).  Great job! 

Welcome Mommer!  In addition to this thread, the troubleshooting thread is a great place to post specifics about what you're eating and get feedback as to whether you're on track.  And I think the moderators follow that thread pretty closely so you'll get some "official" responses quickly.  Sounds like you've made tremendous progress on the arthritis--  that may be the first step in your "magic."    

As for me, I'm not doing so well with whole 30.  It's been a week since I re-introed gluten and I feel like I just can't get back to the place I was before, even though I went right back to whole 30 after the one day re-intro and haven't re-introed anything else.  After some great support and suggestions, I've been able to eliminate snacking when I'm not hungry.   Here's the issue-- my meals are not as satisfying as they were.  I'm finding I'm physiologically hungry after 3-4 hours-- "steamed fish and veggie hungry".  I do the mini meal snack, and I've tried to bump up protein and fat during my meals. 

That satiation was really the main benefit I got from whole 30, and now it's gone.  I don't think I'm better off than before, when I was eating a clean "mediterranean style" diet but hungry every three hours.   And that lifestyle was a lot easier.  Right now I feel like my entire life is about food-- all my meals take so long to eat and I spend hours and hours cooking.  I'm constantly assessing whether I am hungry, and noticing how long the meals are keeping me full.  I feel so overwhelmed and exhausted from everything I have to do to stay compliant-- I've actually cried about it a few times.  I really miss my old foods, and the way I'm eating is causing tension with my family.  I don't think I want to do this anymore, but I want to make a planned exit, not a "slip".  I'm going to keep on for a few more days and re-assess, but I don't have much hope.

Sorry to be such a downer.  I thought it was better to be honest, because I didn't want to just disappear from our thread.  You guys have been so great.  I want to particularly express my gratitude to Applegirl-- you've been my saving grace more than a few times.  I'm glad it's working so well for you and for everyone else.  I wish you all the best of luck.

Hey, this was supposed to make your life better, not make you feel guilty, unsatisfied or in any means like you've failed.  Quality of life should be your focus, and right now this isn't working for you.  W30 is here for you when, and if you ever need to feel the need to "clean up your food choices."  It's a tool, nothing more. 

Maybe check  back in after the holiday season (when we'll all be back, I'm sure).  Maybe you'll be ready for a re-start,or maybe not.  It's all good.    All the best - take care of yourself and your family!

Hi everyone...I've been reading all the posts for awhile and thought I would jump in. I'm 65 and I'm on day 18. I'm feeling a little discouraged since I'm not feeling the "magic" everyone is talking about. I don't think I've lost any weight either not that I have a lot to lose. The one good thing is that the arthritis in my hands is almost gone. I'm eating 3 meals and no snacks and I'm not hungry in between. I'm going to cut back on my food thinking I may be eating too much....either protein or fat. I know on some days I have overdone the nuts!! Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

Fabulous about the arthritis.  I would say that is magical indeed.  Don't forget that if you are having relief from that,  your body is probably healing in other ways that you cannot yet detect.  If you are interested in weight loss, you may need to cut back on the nuts.  I personally have trouble controlling them to a proper amount.  Welcome aboard!

Are you following the template? I would be careful about cutting back. It sounds like you are doing very well. It can take longer than 30 days to really feel different, depending on the person. Not being hungry and getting rid of pain are great things!

Hello Ladies! I'm so excited to find this thread and have just spent the last 45 minutes reading all the posts. So much of this is relevant to where I am right now. I'm 54 and have been an empty nester for 6 yrs. I'm on day 14 of my first W30 after years of yo yo dieting and gradually putting on more and more weight. At 5'1" I am over 200 lbs. which is seriously affecting my health. I have fibromyalgia, high blood pressure and IBS which is really part of the fibro. I've been so discouraged in the last year and hesitant to start yet another diet for fear of failure. Then I found the Whole30 program and just knew instinctively it was right for me. In reading "It starts with food" I found the answers to all my questions as to why I couldn't keep weight off. I have never been a binger. I am not a big eater. My 100 lb. daughter-in-law can eat circles around me. It's all about the hormones and mine are seriously messed up. I'm sure I'm insulin resistant. 

My husband is enthusiastically doing the W30 with me and we're doing great. However....I AM having a problem with the timing issue. NOT a morning person at all, so getting that 1st meal in within an hr. of waking is really a struggle for me. Especially the whole veggie, protein, fat thing. Because I sometimes don't eat until 9:00....I can't stand the thoughts of  having another whole meal for lunch and then try to be hungry for supper. I'm really having a hard time with the amount of food to be eaten through the day. Any ideas on how to cope with this problem would be welcome. OH....and as for running marathons, doing high intensity workouts etc. etc.....as one lady put it; My idea of exercise is going down to get the mail.  ;)   I know that needs to change and really hope to start walking regularly.....soon.  Looking forward to being involved with this fun group!  

Ronswife31..... I can completely relate to what you're saying about eating in the morning. Except I am the complete opposite...I get up at 4 every morning and the thought of eating at 5 makes me nauseous! I eat a little something before my workout but don't usually eat breakfast until around 8 or 9. I know that's not following the rules but I don't know how to get around it. Bet...you're right. I need to focus on the fact that I'm never hungry and the arthritis in my hands is gone! Apple girl.....you are so right...I cannot control myself with the nuts...I eat too many so they are out for me right now. I need to focus on the positives. Thank you for your help!!

Hi Everyone!

Welcome Ronswife - I also am not a morning eater.  I found that a vegi omelette was best, eating a high water content vegi such as spinach or broccoli in the omelette helped me to not feel overstuffed.  I don't have any tips except to say to stick with it.  You're well on your way.  So glad your husband is on board.

Mommer - Wow, up at 4 and getting a workout in.  You're my hero!  Sounds like you're doing really well.

Terresa - Do they every really grow up?  We're still struggling with issues with ours.  Love them to death, but OMG!!!!!  Hope whatever you were dealing with is in the rear view mirror and that it didn't side track your W30.  I know stress can really affect my relationship with food.

Have a great W30 day everyone!  I'm on day 23 - 7 more to go!

Can I join the club?

I'm Pam... 48 and a half.   ;)

Too old to hang with the 20 somethings without the sad realization that they view me like their mom.   I feel young.  Well, that is I feel young when I'm not wondering where THAT ache came from or experiencing a hot flash.

This is my second Whole30.  I start tomorrow.  Just finished a pot of beef Rogan Josh so I have some easy access protein for the first few days.  Spicy!  I can resist grains and pastas if they don't contain sugar, so no problem missing the rice to add to the dish.  

I did 56 of 60 compliant Whole30 days back in March-May 2013.  My taste buds were so alive and my sugar cravings were gone.  Along with it, my hot flashes went from 20 per DAY to zero.  I have only had one hot flash since April.  Amazing.  

My success with low sugar and regulated eating was short lived.  I am back to feeling like I have no 'off' switch for appetite; especially for chocolate and nuts.   I eat tons of food to avoid eating the little bit of chocolate and then eat the chocolate, too.  I am not heavy, but that is probably because I'm good at not eating for 24 hours after the binge and I exercise a ton.

So, I'd love to hang out with you ladies and get some support and share some laughs.

Me:  married with 3 kids (17, 15 and 12).  Youngest has Autism but doing well.  Husband is a busy guy and in fabulous shape but very adhered to the standard American Heart Association diet due to slightly elevated LDLs and a family history of heart trouble.  He doesn't want to eat my coconut oil cooked meat dishes but will try them to be nice.  I foster dogs in addition to having a dog/cat of my own.  I work part time at a natural foods co-operative and love it.  

But, I am struggling.  Struggling to keep my emotional head above water.  Partially due to perimenopause (had 1 period in the past 11 months); partially due to a history of eating disorders; partially due to a stressed marriage.  I remember my first Whole30 experience REALLY stabilizing my moods.  I felt content.  I want to get there again.  I have trouble eating meals.  I snack too much.  Then, by dinner (the one meal I do not eat alone), I am too full to eat much.  I am not a breakfast eater but I want to start.

Thanks for listening.  

Hi Pam, welcome! And can I just say that peri-menopause sucks!!! I was the opposite, I had a heavy period for weeks straight. I tried taking progesterone, but wound up getting an endrometrial ablation and that was that. If you aren't taking progesterone, ask your doctor. I've never been into recreation drugs, but I think I would be a progesterone addict! It is the ultimate feel good drug. I was like you, a hot emotional mess and when I started taking it, I immediately felt better.

I am now in full menopause, I do get hot flashes, although I seem to be in a lull period right now. I had to stop taking HRT because of breast issues.. I find that being on W30 really helps. I've been able to lose about 15 pounds in the past few months and I do think that helps with less estrogen/hot flash issues.

I also have a husband on statins. He was also in bad shape last year, his blood sugar was getting into T2D territory. I was already grain free at the time and he tried that and his numbers came way down. He's not totally W30 compliant, but he loves eating meat so as long as I can find a substitute for potatoes, he's on board. Although once a week we do have fries. I've also got him hooked on Grass Fed Beef and coconut oil and even coconut milk in coffee.

We don't have any kids, except 2 cats that are brother and sister rescues from our vet.

Welcome Pam H,  I know it's funny about being old enough to be everyone's mom!  Our goals and lifestyles are often quite different.  I agree with the W30 mood thing.  It shows how much chemicals, sugars, etc. effect so much more than our waistlines.  Poison is poison.

So glad I'm through the whole menopause thing. It does make it much tougher to drop the lbs, though.

Bet - Congrats on 15lbs lost.  That is wonderful.  I lost 8 lbs with my first W30, It will be interesting to see if I've lost any more this time around.  One week to go. 

Hi Pam, welcome! And can I just say that peri-menopause sucks!!! I was the opposite, I had a heavy period for weeks straight. I tried taking progesterone, but wound up getting an endrometrial ablation and that was that. If you aren't taking progesterone, ask your doctor. I've never been into recreation drugs, but I think I would be a progesterone addict! It is the ultimate feel good drug. I was like you, a hot emotional mess and when I started taking it, I immediately felt better.

I am now in full menopause, I do get hot flashes, although I seem to be in a lull period right now. I had to stop taking HRT because of breast issues.. I find that being on W30 really helps. I've been able to lose about 15 pounds in the past few months and I do think that helps with less estrogen/hot flash issues.

I also have a husband on statins. He was also in bad shape last year, his blood sugar was getting into T2D territory. I was already grain free at the time and he tried that and his numbers came way down. He's not totally W30 compliant, but he loves eating meat so as long as I can find a substitute for potatoes, he's on board. Although once a week we do have fries. I've also got him hooked on Grass Fed Beef and coconut oil and even coconut milk in coffee.

We don't have any kids, except 2 cats that are brother and sister rescues from our vet.

Progesterone:  I tried a bioidentical progesterone from a natural medicine clinic back in about 2008 and it was disastrous.  I had some weird reaction to it and felt horrible even at 1/4 of the prescribed dose.  I generally feel quite good if I am eating properly.  Finding what is "proper" for me is the key!  

I have this recurring problem of staying compliant for about 14 days and then waking up feeling intense hunger and carb cravings which result in my ending up face first in sugary carbs for the day.  I cannot figure out the pattern to it outside of it being every 2 weeks.  I increase carbs the other days and it doesn't seem to help.  Fighting through that day is probably my best bet but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Thanks for rescuing cats!  I foster dogs:  currently have my 21st dog in 24 months.  He is awesome.

Today I feel shitty.  Yesterday was a bad eating day and my belly feels it.  My face looks it.  What I do have is the assurance that soon I will be feeling great again if I stick to Whole30.  Can't wait!

My hubby is an MD.  He thinks he knows more than I do as far as heart health goes and he continues to believe what the AMA tells him.  Coconut oil is baaaaaaaad.  He will adhere mightily to a Mediterranean diet so that works for me.  It is just hard to cook for differing opinions.  Then there are the kids.  Sigh.  Good thing I really enjoy cooking.  I cannot wait to create.

Off I go!

@Applegirl: Well, the situation isn't exactly resolved, beyond the two people in question currently avoiding one another.  And I broke one of the cardinal rules of W30/Whole 9: I skipped meals.  I used to stress eat (let me at that ice cream!!!), but now I start skipping meals when I'm stressed.

@Pam: Welcome and hi there!  Or vise versa.   :D  I hope your hubby reads up on the latest research on coconut oil.  But I sure hear you on the cooking for different tastes/requirements.  I can't tolerate grains, legumes, or nightshades, and one of my daughters can't tolerate dairy, so I have to cook differently for myself and for her, than for the rest of the family.

@Bet: I've been having more frequent very heavy periods for the past couple of years, but my hormone levels still don't indicate perimenopause, according to my doctor.  It's the only "symptom", so I guess I have a while longer to wait.  Did you have other symptoms besides the whacked-out periods?

Archived