Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applegirl, glad to hear today went well for you and I hope it keeps going that way! I don't have any words of wisdom about resolve, but there are a few things which seem to help me with emotional eating. For me, sticking to every rule during whole 30 and reintro actually led to terrible bingeing after i finished. What seems to work better for me is generally incorporating whole 30 template guidelines but also lots of flexibility about adding in non-approved foods, since I don't have any food sensitivities. I also strongly believe in counseling to address underlying issues. Right now I'm trying a new therapist, recommended by a friend, who uses IFS (internal family systems) techniques. I hadn't heard of IFS before and when I read about it( on Wikipedia) I thought it sounded completely ridiculous. I was very skeptical, to say the least. Meanwhile, after about 6 sessions I've made tremendous progress on emotional eating. I'm not saying you need therapy, I'm just saying it helped me before and it's really helping now.

Hi Vegigie Girl,  Sounds really interesting.  I say grab help wherever you can.

I've got the flu, as does everyone else in my house.  I'm trying to stay with my W30.  I'm sticking with the right foods, but not eating all that I"m supposed to.  We'll see.  I'll check back in a couple of days, I'm off to take yet another nap.

The week has gone well as far as food goes.  I'm still not super energetic as sleep has been not so good.  Hope you all are seeing improvments. This weekend I am planning the menus for next week as my classes start and I don't want to be unprepared for temptation.  With three of us following this if I screw up the menu or plan, they'll just follow.  Husband will be a huge help because he's off, and I believe he's a better cook than I.  

Have a good weekend!

Hi all,

How are you all going? I am not doing too badly and thought I would share a few things I have noticed in the first 13 days of my first Whole30.

1. I haven't missed alcohol as much as I thought I would, and confirmed I am not an alcoholic, yay, as I did wonder as the first thing I use to do when I got home from work was open a bottle of wine. Now I open a bottle of mineral water instead. I had tried not to drink so much as I know it is not good for my health and determined ever morning I would have an alcohol free day but when it came to getting home from work I forgot my resolutions and opened a bottle, and could never stop at one glass. So hoorah, over that. Still I am thinking will I slide back after whole30 is over?

2. Since drinking bone broth nearly every day my sesamoiditis (pain in the big toe joints) has completely disappeared. This was totally unexpected and took me a few days to notice, but wow, this is great.

3. Despite not eating any thing not allowed and exercising I don't think I have lost any weight, guess I expected it to drop off, I am not over the suggested BMI for my height but I am at the higher end and would like to be 10kg lighter. I have not got on the scales but have been a habitual weighed every morning. I have hidden the scales, but there is not a morning I haven't thought about weighing myself. My clothes don't fell much looser at all.

4. The emails that come every evening always seem to hit exactly the right note for where I am thinking and feeling at that moment! The Whole9 team know a thing or two!! Well worth signing up for.

5. Going without all the banned foods is not too difficult for am as I have been gluten free for about 20 years due to gluten intolerance, the only thing I really miss the most is dairy. But hay, I love coconut milk etc so it is not too bad.

Anyway after all that hope you are all doing brilliantly and have a great day, I love reading everyone's posts please share how you are all doing.

Bye for now, Julie

Hi all,

How are you all going? I am not doing too badly and thought I would share a few things I have noticed in the first 13 days of my first Whole30.

1. I haven't missed alcohol as much as I thought I would, and confirmed I am not an alcoholic, yay, as I did wonder as the first thing I use to do when I got home from work was open a bottle of wine. Now I open a bottle of mineral water instead. I had tried not to drink so much as I know it is not good for my health and determined ever morning I would have an alcohol free day but when it came to getting home from work I forgot my resolutions and opened a bottle, and could never stop at one glass. So hoorah, over that. Still I am thinking will I slide back after whole30 is over?

2. Since drinking bone broth nearly every day my sesamoiditis (pain in the big toe joints) has completely disappeared. This was totally unexpected and took me a few days to notice, but wow, this is great.

Julie, great news about the toe pain!  How much bone broth are you drinking a day?  And what recipe are you following?  I might need to try that.

I miss my wine too, but the truth is if it has sulfites in it I get a headache after drinking even just one.  I'm thinking I don't want to re-introduce it on a regular basis, just for special dinners and when I have Mom over or go to her house.  We like our wine in my family.  I like beer too, but haven't missed it either! 

Spring semester started for me today.  Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing, getting a new degree at this stage of the game, but it will be worth it.  I'm a nursing student and it's hard work, but I believe it will be well worth it!

Happy Monday to all!

Julie and others,

You mentioned bone broth.  I've wondered if there is a difference between bone broth and (chicken/turkey) stock?

Thanks,

Leora

Hi Leora,

​they are both the same, I think people use 'stock' when using it in cooking and 'broth' when it is taken as drink for health. At least that is what I think!! 

Hi all,

Julie, great news about the toe pain!  How much bone broth are you drinking a day?  And what recipe are you following?  I might need to try that.

I miss my wine too, but the truth is if it has sulfites in it I get a headache after drinking even just one.  I'm thinking I don't want to re-introduce it on a regular basis, just for special dinners and when I have Mom over or go to her house.  We like our wine in my family.  I like beer too, but haven't missed it either! 

Spring semester started for me today.  Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing, getting a new degree at this stage of the game, but it will be worth it.  I'm a nursing student and it's hard work, but I believe it will be well worth it!

Happy Monday to all!

Hi Michellet, 

I am drinking about 1 cup, 250mls, a day or every other day if I forget! and today because it was 45C here in Adelaide, I let it partially thaw and had it as a slushy!! YUM!

I make it in the slow cooker so I don't have to watch it and there are hundreds of paleo broth/stock recipes on the internet, I sort of make it up depending on what is to hand. I like chicken best. I break the bones so that the gelatine can be released and add apple cider vinegar to the fluid to draw out the minerals. then couple of carrots, 2 celery sticks and an onion or two. A bay leave and some peppercorns, then 12 to 24 hrs in the slow cooker on low. 

so basically that is it!! I freeze it in lots of about a cup, and use as needed. 

Enjoy, Julie

I am making bone broth when I get home from Indianapolis (weekend cheer competition!  Woo Hoo).  I have the grass fed marrow bones in the freezer.

I am headed to my MD today for some follow up results.  They forgot to test the saliva for the sex hormones so those results are now in. Guessing:  low progesterone, normal estrogen, normal testosterone but considered estrogen dominant.

Also going to chiropractor, massage therapist and dentist!  I total "ME" day on my day off.

I love me days.

I hope all of you are doing well.  I strained a bunch of ligaments in my foot yesterday to the point of being unable to sleep last night.  At least this morning I can put weight on it.  Last night I was crawling around the house and even the weight of a blanket on my left foot was too painful.  Thankfully, I do not have to work today.  I am unhappy about the prospect of being unable to do cardio for a few weeks, though.  Hopefully that will not be the case.  I've had so many physical set backs in the past year.  I think it is my body reminding me that I am no longer 30.  Or even 40.   ;)

I am making bone broth when I get home from Indianapolis (weekend cheer competition!  Woo Hoo).  I have the grass fed marrow bones in the freezer.

I am headed to my MD today for some follow up results.  They forgot to test the saliva for the sex hormones so those results are now in. Guessing:  low progesterone, normal estrogen, normal testosterone but considered estrogen dominant.

Also going to chiropractor, massage therapist and dentist!  I total "ME" day on my day off.

I love me days.

I hope all of you are doing well.  I strained a bunch of ligaments in my foot yesterday to the point of being unable to sleep last night.  At least this morning I can put weight on it.  Last night I was crawling around the house and even the weight of a blanket on my left foot was too painful.  Thankfully, I do not have to work today.  I am unhappy about the prospect of being unable to do cardio for a few weeks, though.  Hopefully that will not be the case.  I've had so many physical set backs in the past year.  I think it is my body reminding me that I am no longer 30.  Or even 40.   ;)

Both estrogen and progesterone are low but the ratio between the two is great.  Not sure what I am going to do.  I really don't feel like going on the bioidentical hormone route quite yet.  I tried progesterone a few years ago and it did not go well.  Testosterone was actually up on the higher end of normal.  My MD asked if my husband used testosterone.  

Great work JGK,  Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress.  I do think bone broth is a wonderful thing.  It also helps strengthen nails and hair and increases collagen in our joints, and hopefully under our skin.

I've been having a great W30.  Don't know about the weight loss, but I'm sure I've expelled those few holiday pounds and bloating, so back to my original 20lb loss since last year.  I really do hope to lose another 20 this year.  Ah, I remember the days when I could drop 5lbs in a week - that ship left the harbor years ago.

Have a great W30 day, everyone.

Great work JGK,  Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress.  I do think bone broth is a wonderful thing.  It also helps strengthen nails and hair and increases collagen in our joints, and hopefully under our skin.

I've been having a great W30.  Don't know about the weight loss, but I'm sure I've expelled those few holiday pounds and bloating, so back to my original 20lb loss since last year.  I really do hope to lose another 20 this year.  Ah, I remember the days when I could drop 5lbs in a week - that ship left the harbor years ago.

Have a great W30 day, everyone.

Hi Applegirl,

So glad you are having a great whole30, it is encouraging to hear. I guess the lack of weight loss does have something to do with menopause but I was expecting to notice it and I haven't as I have done the yo yo dieting thing over the years and starved myself to lose weight but always put it back on. Terrible to think of what it does to one's body.

Changing the way I am eating I am not hungry anymore but was having thoughts about reducing the amount I am eating to lose weight, but I dismissed that idea as it is not the whole30 way at all! I need to banish evil thoughts about dieting as this is a lifestyle not a diet!

I think my skin is clearing, I have sun damage from running around as a kid under the Australian sun when we never used sun screen but I do think it is better... Anyway another two weeks to go but I basically think I will mostly stick to being more whole30 than just paleo and not drink so much alcohol.

Trouble is we are leaving on a four week trip to London and Europe right at the end of the 30 days and I am not sure how easy to stick to W30 will be, paleo in general won't be too hard.

Well that is enough blabbing,

Have a great day! We have 4th day of over 40°C today and then again tomorrow, they say rolling power cuts will occur as we don't have enough electricity generators. I you all try to keep,warm and I will try to keep cool!

This is an amazing thread!!  Thank you all for sharing your experiences in such a non-judgemental way!  I spent the most recent 6 months on another diet logging site (that will remain nameless) was regularly bashed becasue i don't eat gluten or sugar - they called it "food hating"  LOL!!  I am so happy to be here...

We just got back from a 2 week trip to Uruguay, and let me tell you, they don't have fat people there...they are ALL fit, the fat folks were tourists.  I was the only woman on the beach under 65 with a one piece bathing suit!  While they do seem to eat a small amount of bread and use flour as a breading for meat, their main diet cosists of MEAT...natural, range roving, grass eating COW cooked on a wood burning grill.  What a different thing to eat real beef, I could nearly taste the "grassyness" of it.  And lettuce, tomato, red onion salad with vinegar and olive oil...we couldn't find a bottle of salad dressing until the very last day and it was SEVEN DOLLARS AMERICAN for Kraft - HA!   Anyway, very interesting culture, beautiful beaches and so family oriented! 

The down side of the trip is that I gained 13 pounds in 14 days!  I lost 55 pounds last year and my "resolve" as applegirl so aptly put it, was to work out the entire trip...well over 100 degrees and no air conditioning killed that idea right off.  Then the sugar fest started, add to that the gluten gluttony and bam, I have to start over.  I havent set a date yet for my W30, but it is coming soon...i cut the gluten out the second my feet hit the states, sugar will go next week, then i think i will be ready to jump into the deep end. 

Thanks for reading!! 

My new favorite afternoon snack?  A mug of warm bone broth!  Thankyou Jgk for mentioning this it is so good.  I followed the directions from Nom Nom Paleo and am already making a second pot.  Then today, the farmer I buy our beef from threw in some soup bones for free.  I hope I see improvements in my nails and creaking joints

My new favorite afternoon snack?  A mug of warm bone broth!  Thankyou Jgk for mentioning this it is so good.  I followed the directions from Nom Nom Paleo and am already making a second pot.  Then today, the farmer I buy our beef from threw in some soup bones for free.  I hope I see improvements in my nails and creaking joints

Michellet, I am so glad that you are enjoying the broth. Once the weather cools here I will have it warm too, but for now I am enjoying it really cold and icy. I hope it does the trick!

I made two meals from Nom Nom Paleo, Food for Humans today. I love this cookbook and will be making most of the recipes. I made the spicy tuna cakes for lunch and served it with my homemade mayo and salad, then for dinner I made the Yankee pot roast and served it with the garlic mashed cauliflower. Nom, nom, nom, nom!

Hope everyone is doing really well on the whole30. I actually woke up with a headache, the type I use to get when I drank too much red wine. So what is that all about?? My husband opened a bottle of red to go with the pot roast, and I didn't even want any, well, just a little! But I am not really tempted anymore. I just think about it's negative effect on my body and it totally puts me off.

Have a great day everyone.

Cheers, Julie

Julie, the red wine headache is awful.  That's one of the reasons I haven't missed wine at all.  But I'm still having the headaches.  I'm hoping it has more to do with traveling last month than the foods, because I feel like I've eliminated everything to root out the cause.  I've been home 17 days, my body should be recovered!

It's so cold here now, though warmer than last week, but the warm broth hits the spot.  Guess I'll have to wait til it gets above 80 (6 months) before I try it cold!

Well I had to go shopping after work. Had to buy new bras cos mine no longer fit, they are too big. What a drama, I must have tried on 12 pairs! Why do you loose weigh there first and put it on the hips first???

How is everyone doing?

Hi you guys.  Sounds like you're doing great.  I'm hanging in there, got the son back to college, and getting back to normal routine. i'm doing very well with my W30.  I did have to do a restart earlier in the month, but since then, very good.

michellet, my beef farmer also gives me all the bones I can use for free.  It's wonderful.  They're over $2 a lb in the store, and she gave me at least a 50lb box of bones last time we picked up some beef.  I put them in freezer bags enough for one batch of broth each.  It is yoummy!!!!  I think i'm her only customer who knows what to do with them, and I'm so grateful.  I find that the broth from the grassfed beef has a different flavor and aroma.  It can be a bit strong.  I use loads of celery and onions and bay leaf when I'm making the broth and then after I strain it and remove the fat I drink it and freeze it in little containers.  Usually only lasts about a week or so, then I make another batch.  I also nibble on those giant bones, once their done, there's such good stuff on them.  I feel like a caveman and my family thinks I'm nuts, but it's like it was when we were growing up.  

Have a great W30 day, everyone!

Ktsimons - I just read your post.  Wow, that is a great weight loss.  Don't worry about the 13lbs.  i'm sure it's not fat, probably 8lbs is water weight your body holds on to when you eat those bad foods, that is why we drop that water weight quickly once we start.  A month or so and you'll be back to your great weight loss.  Sounds like you enjoyed your trip.  Life is good.

I'm on day 24. It will be interesting to see how the last week goes as That TOM is creeping up again. It's strange how sometimes my hormones get totally out of whack and sometimes it's not bad. Hopefully, since I've been eating well, it won't be too bad and I can weather the cravings, etc.

One weird thing I've noticed, is around that TOM, night sweats get worse, as does body odor. I'm definitely more stinky for that week or so.

I'm jealous of some of you that have ready access to grass fed beef and bones. Our source moved to another state and we need to find a new one.

Greetings all.  Had to return to the site.  I've strayed and strayed badly.  I just keep finding excuses for not following primal/paleo/whole30 and they just lead me to frustration and stupid choices.

We're eating more grass fed/wild caught/game types of choices and we're really happy about that.   So for me it's just a "Dump the wine, hose the rice, divest myself of the diary and GET ON WITH IT!!!"

(night sweats: always worse for me during primal/paleo eating -- awful -- I dread it)

Hello everyone!   I see the thread has been very quiet. I'm on my last day of my W30.  It's been successful.  I feel good, hopefully dropped a couple of lbs I put on over the holidays.  Will weigh in tomorrow with that piece of the puzzle.  It has been challenging in that the weather in the Northeast (and much of the rest of the nation) has been colder than usual.  I generally walk and am out and about more than I was this January, so I didn't have the distractions I normally have, which makes it harder to overcome some of my food issues.

Regardless, I powered through.

My plan is to move into a low carb Primal eating plan, and probably to an intermittent fasting protocol, as I find it the easiest way  to drop pounds since menopause.  I actually love that way of eating and find it to be a natural lifestyle for me.  Eating the three meals (especially breakfast) has always been a challenge for me during the W30.

Is anyone else still out there?  How are you all doing?

HI Applegirl!  I finished my w30, took a day or two off and started another one.  I have had pretty good results, 10 pounds gone, more energy, no heartburn or reflux, less aches and pains- this party due to the daily bone broth.  I actually wake up ready to move and don't drag myself out of bed every morning.  

So now I'm starting to move.  LIke you too, it has just been too darn cold to go out and walk.  But I'm doing core work inside, and starting water exercises this week.  I struggle still with sleep and I'm hoping another w30 with increased exercise will do the trick.  Also, my allergies are no better.  Currently I take three meds for those, but I'm beginning to think it is my dog and two cats.  We will see.

Hope your plan goes well.

Archived