Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cinnamon Beef Stew sounds wonderful.  Ill have to check it out.  

I'm hanging in there.  Feel so much better after getting back on track.

Decided to take down the Christmas tree tomorrow.  We usually wait until after New Years but I'm antsy this year.  Feel like I need a fresh clean house, along with my eating habits.  I'm glad to say that the men in my house have gobbled up all of the holiday temptations. Back to a clean pantry and fridge.  YEAH!!!!!!

Pam, Your posts are always interesting.  My husband isn't on board, but he's happy if I'm happy.  Of course he's not an MD, so I don't have that hurdle.  

Keep going, RebeJ. Glad to have you aboard.

Looking forward to the rest of you joining in next week.  We'll be here!

Just found this thread.

I'm 63 - just! And I'm thinking of doing another W30 in January.

It's just a nice way to make a clean start to the year.

Both my adult kids live in Australia and the youngest flew out this morning. It leaves me feeling really empty. Never mind, he might be coming back to NZ to live this year. Fingers crossed!

All the best for New Year and great health, ladies.  :)

Welcome aboard, Just Real.  

I'm hanging in there. Just 5 days in.  No problem with food choices, I do struggle a bit with evening snacking.  It's cold and dark by 4:30 and not much to do.  I need to find a way to pass the long winter evenings.  I have no trouble staying busy and happy during the day, but evenings are tough for me.

Hope everyone else is doing well whether you've begun your W30 or starting at the New Year.

Hi All!

I found this thread when searching "cold hands".  I love all the honesty and woman to woman talk here!

I am also on Day 5 of my first Whole30.  I have been pretty paleo for past 3-4 months but wanted to see how good I could feel and also I would love to get off my medications.  I want to balance my sugar levels to reduce my anxiety issues.  I am 39 years old and have had GI issues for as long as I can remember.  I've had thyroid disease since I was 18 - Grave's disease then, on meds for 2 years, then after my first child was born, I was dx with Hypothyroid and subsequently Hashimoto's.  It took me a while to stabalize my Synthroid but I have been on the same dosage for a few years now.  I have started reducing my dosage in the past 2 months since I am very sensitive to any increase in my pulse (anxiety issues).  I just had a whole panel of blood work done this morning so I'm waiting to hear if my thyroid levels have stayed about the same with the decreased dosage.  I also have been on Zoloft for the past 4 years and just tapered off this month and it's been 1.5 weeks since I've been off.  My goal with the Whole30 is to stay off my anxiety meds and to be able to sleep without meds.  My issues stem from recurrent miscarriages, infertility, and all that stuff...  But everything is great now!

Anyway, my main question is, I feel like my hands and feet are even colder than usual and I didn't know if others experienced that with Whole30 or paleo??  They are freezing most of the time and then seem to be sweating other times.  I do feel like I'm starting to get hot flashes and losing a lot of hair and since I've been using an OTC progesterone cream for the past year, that seems to be getting better.  I know my progesterone is low from infertility testing and my mom started hot flashes in her mid 30s.  

I know I'm allergic and sensitive to tons of foods because some of my white blood cells are always really high, but it's so hard to figure out which ones!  I've done some allergy testing and I'm starting to work with a nutritionist who is big into supplements, diet, and amino acids so I'm really hoping that will help get me on track.

Pam - I sympathize with trying to figure out what's going on and also having a husband that doesn't quite get it.  I have him read some books, like Grain Brain which I thought was great, and he eats whatever I make but he wasn't willing to do the Whole30 with me.  It was more of giving up wine and beer for 30 days than the food!

Sorry to ramble!  Good luck everyone!

Amy

Hi All!

I found this thread when searching "cold hands".  I love all the honesty and woman to woman talk here!

I am also on Day 5 of my first Whole30.  I have been pretty paleo for past 3-4 months but wanted to see how good I could feel and also I would love to get off my medications.  I want to balance my sugar levels to reduce my anxiety issues.  I am 39 years old and have had GI issues for as long as I can remember.  I've had thyroid disease since I was 18 - Grave's disease then, on meds for 2 years, then after my first child was born, I was dx with Hypothyroid and subsequently Hashimoto's.  It took me a while to stabalize my Synthroid but I have been on the same dosage for a few years now.  I have started reducing my dosage in the past 2 months since I am very sensitive to any increase in my pulse (anxiety issues).  I just had a whole panel of blood work done this morning so I'm waiting to hear if my thyroid levels have stayed about the same with the decreased dosage.  I also have been on Zoloft for the past 4 years and just tapered off this month and it's been 1.5 weeks since I've been off.  My goal with the Whole30 is to stay off my anxiety meds and to be able to sleep without meds.  My issues stem from recurrent miscarriages, infertility, and all that stuff...  But everything is great now!

Anyway, my main question is, I feel like my hands and feet are even colder than usual and I didn't know if others experienced that with Whole30 or paleo??  They are freezing most of the time and then seem to be sweating other times.  I do feel like I'm starting to get hot flashes and losing a lot of hair and since I've been using an OTC progesterone cream for the past year, that seems to be getting better.  I know my progesterone is low from infertility testing and my mom started hot flashes in her mid 30s.  

I know I'm allergic and sensitive to tons of foods because some of my white blood cells are always really high, but it's so hard to figure out which ones!  I've done some allergy testing and I'm starting to work with a nutritionist who is big into supplements, diet, and amino acids so I'm really hoping that will help get me on track.

Pam - I sympathize with trying to figure out what's going on and also having a husband that doesn't quite get it.  I have him read some books, like Grain Brain which I thought was great, and he eats whatever I make but he wasn't willing to do the Whole30 with me.  It was more of giving up wine and beer for 30 days than the food!

Sorry to ramble!  Good luck everyone!

Amy

Maybe once I get my thyroid panel back we can hook up for advice, reassurance and support?  I have had a long history with mild to moderate anxiety but thyroid has always been OK.  The most help I've gotten has been with diet (removing sugar and perhaps hard cheeses like parmesan) and Omega 3 fatty acids (they got me off of anti depressants) in higher than recommended doses.

My hands and feet can be freezing, too!  It has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Canaryclub.org has some saliva testing kits that have proven pretty accurate if you are curious about other rhythms like coritsol.  I did not do well with bioidentical progesterone cream about 7 years ago (I am 48) so I am not too excited about trying it again.  I am more estrogen dominant than progesterone deficient.

I say add some fish oil to your diet to help with anxiety and depression.  I used Nordic Naturals ProEPA Extra; up to about 3 grams a day.  Liquid is the cheapest alternative but kind of gross to most people.

Do your own digging into food intolerances.  My experience with practitioners is that they do as much trial and error as we do!  Be cautious if your practitioner loads you up with expensive supplements and testing.  I can't tell you how much I spent last year with a  dynamic charlatan of a chiropractor.  I'm sure my husband can.  hah

From one rambler to another, I hope you find some relief!  I started my symptoms at age 40 and they were brutal at first.  I am either getting used to it or they are getting better.   Things come and go over the years but I still clap my hands and smile each time I get my period.  I am not ready for menopause.  Stubborn girl.

Welcome aboard, Just Real.  

I'm hanging in there. Just 5 days in.  No problem with food choices, I do struggle a bit with evening snacking.  It's cold and dark by 4:30 and not much to do.  I need to find a way to pass the long winter evenings.  I have no trouble staying busy and happy during the day, but evenings are tough for me.

Hope everyone else is doing well whether you've begun your W30 or starting at the New Year.

Applegirl - I save up podcasts to listen to in the evenings.

It gets me away from the blue light sources of tv and computer screens.

In summer I head out on to the verandah with my iPod and watch dusk coming on or in the winter I love to sit in front of a fire and turn out the lights, or light a candle and listen to Robb Wolf or Angelo Coppola, etc.

There's something spiritual about connecting to the elements and it helps me to get to sleep.

I think of the evenings as 'me' time.

Happy New Year's everyone!

I've made it to Day 7!  Very tired today but I guess that is normal. Last night was a bit tough.  I love champagne and my hubby was having it but I didn't drink any or have the corn on the cob they were having either.

Pam- Thanks for the info!   I will look into some of the testing.  I got most of my labs back and my thyroid has gone up so I'm back on my normal dose of Synthroid and hopefully that will help with the freezing extremities!  I didn't realize that the thyroid needs grains, so that might be part of the problem too.

My real shock was that my cholesterol shot up!  I've always had borderline hovering around 200, but my bad and good cholesterol were always really good.  Now my LDL went up 50 points!  Did anyone else have this happen when they started going paleo?  Of course my hubby blames all the eggs I'm eating and the red meat that we never used to eat.  From what I could find online, cholesterol seems to go up when thyroid slows down, during weight loss, and during hormonal changes so I'm hoping those are the reasons.  I haven't heard back from my GP yet, but I'm sure she'll say something.  I plan on waiting a few months and seeing if I can get my thyroid back to where it was and then rechecking my cholesterol.   

Happy New Year's everyone!

I've made it to Day 7!  Very tired today but I guess that is normal. Last night was a bit tough.  I love champagne and my hubby was having it but I didn't drink any or have the corn on the cob they were having either.

Pam- Thanks for the info!   I will look into some of the testing.  I got most of my labs back and my thyroid has gone up so I'm back on my normal dose of Synthroid and hopefully that will help with the freezing extremities!  I didn't realize that the thyroid needs grains, so that might be part of the problem too.

My real shock was that my cholesterol shot up!  I've always had borderline hovering around 200, but my bad and good cholesterol were always really good.  Now my LDL went up 50 points!  Did anyone else have this happen when they started going paleo?  Of course my hubby blames all the eggs I'm eating and the red meat that we never used to eat.  From what I could find online, cholesterol seems to go up when thyroid slows down, during weight loss, and during hormonal changes so I'm hoping those are the reasons.  I haven't heard back from my GP yet, but I'm sure she'll say something.  I plan on waiting a few months and seeing if I can get my thyroid back to where it was and then rechecking my cholesterol.   

Hypothyroid is associated with elevated cholesterol.  Don't go blaming the eggs just yet.  Your body produces the majority of the cholesterol anyway.  

I am so impatiently waiting to go back to my MD to see the results!  She is only at this local clinic one day per week so it is hard to get to see her. Not too sure I'll be with her long term if it takes so long to get in.

Happy New Year all! I was hoping to jump in here with your girls if possible. I have been around here since April '13 and have done really well overall but have hit the skids over the holidays. We drove 15 hours one way to get a little puppy in Michigan and it has been difficult to get back on track since. Today has been good so far....

We have a new puppy, bullmastiff girl, and I have to say, I am a bit stressed. I love her, have been looking forward to her for weeks. We lost our male in August and it hasn't been easy, as the pet lovers will know. I stayed compliant through that hardship, but this seems to be more difficult.

I am 55, work FT in health care, married with a great hubby, no kids except the fur baby. I like to run, swim and ride my bike. I do triathlons occas of varying distances. Definitely post menopausal(thank you, Jesus)

I overeat, and am a stress eater. Have been dieting since middle school and have been my heaviest at 250#. Finally, with this plan, I can eat till I am full, and not count anything. What a relief.

I have been doing well since April and want to get back in line as it has helped me with hot flashes, and mood swings as well as losing a little bit of weight.

Could I join you ladies? I am trying to find a group that is compliant but not judgemental if I have a glass of wine, otherwise compliant. I have completed a W90 then allowed a glass or 2 of wine during the week as my only "cheat"-oh, and chewing gum. THAT I need to stop.

Thanks so much....

C

Funny, or maybe not so funny coincidence.  I'm waiting for my thyroid panels to come back as well!  It's a six month check, and while I was stable for a while this past year, I think my thyroid tanked this past fall while I wasn't paying attention, possibly due to low Vit D levels.    I take Armour and t-3, because of high Rt3. Sometimes it's a moving target, isn't it.

Hello ladies, hope all had a wonderful seasonal break however you celebrated :)

I've hit the W30 to get back on track, today is day 2, planning and cooking a couple days ahead with food to keep on track.  I was doing pretty good in December until I went to my parents. buffet food was all pork pies and pasties and veg spring rolls and such.  white bread toast and cereals for breakfast which left me feeling hungry an hour later. take outs for dinner .... meh!!! Cant do my own thing as my mum feels like she is not doing a good job and wont let anyone help or cook dinner instead. Its easier to be off track a few days than upset her, especially as she has been poorly a lot recently :( felt so lethargic by time i got back at first i thought i'd caught a flu bug off the plane flight!! Probably in some part due to my getting a period yesterday ... what a way to start the year!! but its a relief as now my bras are comfy again, it felt like i'd gone up 2 cup sizes for the past week.  first period in a few months too.

Sugar is definately my enemy.  I usually have some granary/seeded wholemeal bread, for a treat, once a week and have no probs, but the white processed stuff isnt filing at all and seems to have way more sugar in it.  no bread at home as its tempting for snacking.  only unopened chocs in house so i can leave them be, plus have put them all out of sight.  Hitting the exercise again too, doing a HIIT programme and need to start planning my classes to teach next week. Only back at the day job so far :) 3 weeks with no real exercise (just walking) and I can't sleep at night.

Happy new year x

Hi all,

I am new to the Whole30 and am on day 3 today. I have mostly been doing the paleo way of eating since discoverring it March last year. I have read through this thread and have loved reading the journeys and relating to them.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia and I am a 51 year old married mother of two, whose kids are in their mid twenties and both have left home. So we are empty nesters too. I also miss the kids friends coming around, but they do drop in at times. I miss the talking to mine but with all the social networks we do chat a lot of the time on fb. We also try to get them around once a week for a meal - paleo now of course!

I like to cycle and hike, but I hate the gym so as part of the Whole30 I am starting to use the weights my son left behind when he moved out. We also have a rowing machine - I have used it three times in the last 6 months!! My goal is to use it at least three times a week.

I alsolove growing my own fruit, herbs and vegies in my backyard. I am currnetly growing spaghetti squash, beetroot, tomatoes, zucchini, radishes and capsicum.

Good luck to everyone and I am looking forward to reading more on this thread.

warm regards, Julie

Hello Ladies!  I was thrilled to see this thread for the older women following W30!  I've been reading this thread for the last hour.  So many of our health issues are different and it's nice to share with like minded folks.  It is amazing at how similar our health concerns are, from thyroid to hormonal, hot flashes, AI stuff.   Yuck.

My biggest struggle right now is hot flashes.  I had a hysterectomy at 42, hot flashes started at 46.  I am now 52, have been on HRT for 6 years and think thats enough, but I told my husband death would be preferable to continuous hot flashes. Did I say I'm a drama queen?

We did a whole 30 last year and felt amazing, my hot flashes were improved, still on HRT, I had increased energy and all the good things that come from clean eating.  Unfortunately cancer hit my family in early 2013 with my brother and father and in the last year my brother is good, but Dad passed away in April and this was a period of very unhealthy eating.  While we have been hmmm maybe 80 percent compliant diet wise, the weight has been climbing.  So the family, at least those of us at home, are all doing the whole 30.  Today was day 1.  

At home is my husband of 28 years, my 18 yo daughter, and 15 yo son.  My daughter is very on board, while my son doesn't really like the idea, but he is in the midst of swim team season and for some reason spaghetti feeds are once or twice a week. So he can have those days.  We have two older children, both in the Air Force.  I just spent a two week vacation in Germany with them and am feeling pretty blue.  Saying goodbye is so hard. So in addition to "carb flu", I also have "jet lag", will soon be heading off to bed. In preparation for "Empty Nest", I am currently a full time student studying Nursing.  This is an area I have been wanting to pursue for awhile and the time seemed right.  I have one more week off til the next semester.  

I know this is long, I'm sorry!!  I am also allergic to exercise.   :huh: But, I do want to get stronger!  So, that is part of my plan, just not this week. Additionally I have muscle tears in where the gluteus maximus and medius, and piriformus muscle attach to the trochanter in the hip that has been causing pain for quite a few years.  I have learned that I could have that repaired through surgery, kind of like the rotator cuff of the hip....so I'm not entirely sure how much I can handle as far as exercise, and even if I'll do the surgery for sure.  

So, it is so nice to meet all of you, and see that our struggles are similar, but we can overcome with encouragement and support!

Michelle 

Hypothyroid is associated with elevated cholesterol.  Don't go blaming the eggs just yet.  Your body produces the majority of the cholesterol anyway.  

I am so impatiently waiting to go back to my MD to see the results!  She is only at this local clinic one day per week so it is hard to get to see her. Not too sure I'll be with her long term if it takes so long to get in.

Wow!  That is a long time to wait, I would be going crazy!  I always want things right now!  Luckily I get results to all my blood work online within 24-48 hours, but I'm sure my GP gets annoyed with me by emailing her to order more tests.

Have you read the thyroid paper off Chris Kessler website?  It's very fascinating.  I know mine is autoimmune which they always recommend not to eat sweet potatoes, eggs, and nightshades.  I eat sweet potatoes and eggs everyday - they are my favorite and I don't think I could do the whole30 without them.

I am on Day 8 and so want a cookie and glass of wine!  I'm waiting for my energy to kick in.  So far it hasn't...

Funny, or maybe not so funny coincidence.  I'm waiting for my thyroid panels to come back as well!  It's a six month check, and while I was stable for a while this past year, I think my thyroid tanked this past fall while I wasn't paying attention, possibly due to low Vit D levels.    I take Armour and t-3, because of high Rt3. Sometimes it's a moving target, isn't it.

I didn't even realize you could take t-3.  I've always taken Synthroid but my mom takes Armour.  I have been taking 2000mg of Vit D over the past year and my levels have not gone up since a few years ago when I didn't take it.  I'm thinking maybe it's due to it being winter and getting less sun as opposed when I had them checked in the spring before.  My hands and feet have been ice cubes!

Hi, first-timer here. Another in-between aged participant, a few weeks shy of 45. I've gotten "soft" over the past few years, basically quit exercise, got some aches & pains, I get moody, bloaty, blech.

Anyhoo...I'm married to a great dh who loves his bagels (as do I, truth be told) but gives me his blessing in going for this challenge. I teach hs FT and this year I'm also directing the hs musical, lots of time but I'm excited for the new challenge. We have two kids, 8 & 12, I spend a lot of time driving to & from practices, lessons, etc... I'm not home much and I struggle cooking a proper meal now, so I know meal planning and pre-cooking on weekends will be my only hope in Whole 30.

I'm starting Whole 30 on Monday 1/6. I plan to use these days pre-challenge gathering recipes, food shopping, and precook a few meals on Sunday. I am not a fan of eggs or sweet potatoes, but I'll keep an open mind & try to mix them in something, lol. Experimented with Paleo for 2 wks over the summer and it was hard but I did learn to love my coffee black, so that gives me hope:)

@Just Real Food, you mentioned you listen to podcasts--which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

Peace out.

Hi enviedecafe

The podcasts I like most are Robb Wolf, Latest in Paleo. Anything by Zoe Harcombe. Jimmy Moore over at Livin, la Vida low carb has some good guests too. Chris Kresser has real sciencey ones.

Hope that helps. Others will have favourites I hope.

I love how this thread is hot! It's easy to feel sometimes that Paleo is all about cross fit and young people.

Just Real Food - Yes, I find it helpful to look at podcasts and check out info online, especially in the evening.  

We're buried in over a foot of snow and it's sub zero here, so I'll probably be inside most of the day.  I work out of my house, so I'm home most of the day.  I'm going to tackle some projects. 

I'm through my hot flashes - thank goodness!  I remember when I was younger thinking "those ladies are really exaggerating, how bad can they be."  Well, some poetic justice came my way.  They were indeed a big deal, and more disruptive than I could have imagined.  YIKES!  I have no wisdom to dispel, perhaps the W30 and more balanced hormones will give some relief.  I do remember a sense of humor helped a lot.

My family (Hubby and 2 sons) are not compliant, but they love real food, so appreciate all that I put in front of them.  I do keep some things in the house for them.  There is bread in the cupboard (good bread - although we know no such thing really exists, but at least no chemicals and made with only 3 ingredients).  I cook completely W30 compliant, and once in a while I'll boil some potatoes or cook rice for them, but for the most part they eat what I eat, and they're fine.  They're all older, so if they have a hankering for pizza, or something else, they're on their own.

My one son will be heading back to college in a few weeks, and hopefully my oldest will move back out soon - he's 21 and looking for some room mates. Unaffordable to live on his own and his old room mates all moved to other places.  I love them, but time to leave the nest!!!!  I can't keep food in the house.  I forgot how much they eat.  

My goals for this year are to lose 20-30lbs, and to continue my primal lifestyle, incorporating a few W30's.  My husband and I are doing some mountain hiking, so I need to lose those extra pounds.   I lost 20lbs last year eating primal with 2 W30's.  It sure comes off slower at our age, but I promise you all, it will come off, if weight loss is your goal.  I do have to go pretty low carb for the weight to drop.  I'm so happy we have this forum.  I too, was getting discouraged hearing about young men losing 30lbs a month.  It's great for them, but a bit depressing for me. It took me the better part of the year to lose those 20lbs.  I can usually average a pound or two a month.  It's all progress.  I feel great eating primal, so it's definitely the right path for me.

Have a great W30 day, everyone!

Hi all!

The blizzard up north is no joke!-It is in the 20's here in North Carolina and we are frozen solid!

I am hanging in there with getting back to work with a new puppy-finding I am trying too hard and stressing a bit, she feels that and peed on the carpet yesterday-my fault. I am hoping as the days move ahead-I will get my stable mood back after the week of binging over the holidays.

Had a bit of a hot flash last night-don't usuallyhave them any more but again, it is only a few days in back to the program.

I appreciate this group....have a great day all!

Hi all!

The blizzard up north is no joke!-It is in the 20's here in North Carolina and we are frozen solid!

I am hanging in there with getting back to work with a new puppy-finding I am trying too hard and stressing a bit, she feels that and peed on the carpet yesterday-my fault. I am hoping as the days move ahead-I will get my stable mood back after the week of binging over the holidays.

Had a bit of a hot flash last night-don't usuallyhave them any more but again, it is only a few days in back to the program.

I appreciate this group....have a great day all!

Puppies will piddle!  I've fostered 22 dogs in the past 2 years and they are both a strain and a joy.  The first few weeks are the hardest.

I also had a few hot flashes over the past 2 weeks after eliminating them totally with Whole30.  I still need to figure out if it is the sugar or the dairy or the gluten that brings them on.  My best thought is the sugar but when I eat sugar it usually contains dairy and wheat.  

I am in Wisconsin.  We send our kids back to school on Monday, but it is supposed to be -40 that day so I bet they will have a snow day. Grrrr.  I want them back in school.  I need the routine back.  I eat more when I am home full time with them and the temptations are great to stray.  Right now I am making them donuts for breakfast.  "Healthy" donuts, but donuts!  

Wow!  That is a long time to wait, I would be going crazy!  I always want things right now!  Luckily I get results to all my blood work online within 24-48 hours, but I'm sure my GP gets annoyed with me by emailing her to order more tests.

Have you read the thyroid paper off Chris Kessler website?  It's very fascinating.  I know mine is autoimmune which they always recommend not to eat sweet potatoes, eggs, and nightshades.  I eat sweet potatoes and eggs everyday - they are my favorite and I don't think I could do the whole30 without them.

I am on Day 8 and so want a cookie and glass of wine!  I'm waiting for my energy to kick in.  So far it hasn't...

I will look into the autoimmune diet if I indeed have Hashimoto's or if my TSH is higher than optimal despite begin within normal limits.  I know I eat way too many cruciferous vegetables for a hypothyroid diet and I could eat sweet potatoes non stop along with winter squash.  I was disappointed to see many of my favorites on the restricted list when I did a quick search last month.   :angry:

Hi everyone, 

I'd love to join you. Such good, relevant, topics you all are discussing. 

I will turn 49 at the end of January (It kind of blows my mind to write that). I live with my partner, who just luuuurves his pbj sandwiches, my 14 yo son and my 17 yo daughter. She's on board, the boys are not but they eat what I give them or they fend for themselves. Either one is fine with me.

I started my 3rd W30 yesterday. My first was last January, and then I did another mid year. I have tended toward a paleo template for the past 14 months or so, punctuated with the 2 W30s and some off-the-tracks periods. It's good for me to reboot and reset intermittently, so tat's why I'm doing anther W30..

My issues: hypothyroidism, perimenopause, IBS, depression, environmental allergies, asthma, arthritis, sugar addiction, some maybe mild fibromyalgia type symptoms, high cholesterol but the more I learn on that front the less concerned I am about that particular 'diagnosis.' I'm sure there are a few in there I am forgetting, but you get the picture.

I'm really not as much of a basket case as that list makes me out to be (or, maybe I am?!). Most of the symptoms are in the mild to moderate range, and very well managed with diet, exercise, sleep, and stress management (oh yea, that's so easy).

I work in health care and am starting my own business, something I have wanted to do for a long time. 

I was once a RKC and still swing my kettlebells around several times a week, but nowhere near what I once did. Discipline and time management are constant battles. Can anyone relate  ;)?

Anyway, I will be logging my food in the W30 log section "DB's third time's a charm," and will also hang out here if that's cool.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Hello ladies. I too was excited to see a thread for us "more mature" ladies.  I've enjoyed reading all the posts.

I'm 50, married with two adult children and one precious granddaughter. Our daughter and granddaughter live with us, which is both a source of joy and sometimes, stress.  But we really love watching our granddaughter grow up.

I've been primal since last February.  I started the whole 30 on Jan. 1.  Unhealthy binges were creeping in more and more often (ice cream and chocolate candy - not the good kind either), so I decided to clean things up.  The only thing I really miss is butter. I was eating WAY too much! I may make some clarified butter, but only to use on sweet potatoes.

I'm a runner and run with my dog 3x a week.  i also do upper body weights 2x a week and some general strength exercises as well.  The exercise has never been a problem for me, just the eating.

I'm fortunate in that I really don't have any health problems, other than minor twinges of plantar fasciitis.  My achilles tendonitis that I suffered with for a couple of years has finally resolved.  I credit eating primally and eating more fat.  I'm in perimenopause/menopause and do have night sweats a lot and just an occasional minor hot flash.  I do notice my periods are unpredictable and are getting shorter.  The biggest problem is the way the hormonal stuff affects my eating and tendency to go off plan. I'm trying to get a handle on that.

That's it I guess. Doing well so far but I'm only on day 3.  What's amazing to me is how much better I feel mentally/emotionally.  Moving in a positive direction sure helps!

Hello Ladies of a Certain Age. I'm 67, yikes when did that happen? Ae a family with adult children scattered across the nation we all did Whole30 in January 2013. It was a success. For awhile anyhow. Life got in the way as we sold our beautiful Wyoming home, moved to Virginia...actually still in that process.., lost a beloved pet, gained another grand daughter (it wasn't carb flu...she was pregnant!). And well turmoil ensued.

Most of us stuck with Whole30. But I did not as the stresses with relocating bombarded us. So here it is a year later and here I go again. This time I know it Works! And I will feel Great again soon.

My normal self goes to the gym or walks most days. I love gyms but haven't found the right one yet. I will. Delighted to have found this forum so I can read the daily success and the downs too of others.

Archived