Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Wishing a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year to all of us mature whole30 women from this 58-year-old in snowy upstate NY!

I'm back on for an indefinite whole30 because I had a TERRIBLE flare of my autoimmune arthritis after adding gluten-free baked products and dairy to my diet. I am now working with a wonderful nutritionist/chiropractor to get this under control so I don't have to take the nasty heavy duty drugs or have more spine surgery.

He has me on the whole30 autoimmune diet: basically meat, fish, fowl, veggies, fruit and healthy fats. No eggs and no tree nuts except for coconut. I've been doing this for about a week now and my acute pain is 75% diminished. I'm thrilled.

I will stick to this template as long as my doc says to-----a minimum of 8 weeks before adding anything back in. I am 100% determined to get my health glowing so I can enjoy this time of life.

My older son, 23, (the one with autism) is doing pretty well, thank God. He's got a new community aide and will be able to get out and about more with the support. My younger son is in Chile for winter break and is planning on becoming a middle school teacher and wrestling coach. He's doing GREAT.

None of my family is "in" but they understand that I have to take care of myself--they've seen me through 2 spine operations and don't want to see any more of THAT! I make my meals first and if I have energy and time, I add rice or some other side dish for them.

Glad to see so many of us here!

Pea

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, 

I'd love to join you. Such good, relevant, topics you all are discussing. 

I will turn 49 at the end of January (It kind of blows my mind to write that). I live with my partner, who just luuuurves his pbj sandwiches, my 14 yo son and my 17 yo daughter. She's on board, the boys are not but they eat what I give them or they fend for themselves. Either one is fine with me.

I started my 3rd W30 yesterday. My first was last January, and then I did another mid year. I have tended toward a paleo template for the past 14 months or so, punctuated with the 2 W30s and some off-the-tracks periods. It's good for me to reboot and reset intermittently, so tat's why I'm doing anther W30..

My issues: hypothyroidism, perimenopause, IBS, depression, environmental allergies, asthma, arthritis, sugar addiction, some maybe mild fibromyalgia type symptoms, high cholesterol but the more I learn on that front the less concerned I am about that particular 'diagnosis.' I'm sure there are a few in there I am forgetting, but you get the picture.

I'm really not as much of a basket case as that list makes me out to be (or, maybe I am?!). Most of the symptoms are in the mild to moderate range, and very well managed with diet, exercise, sleep, and stress management (oh yea, that's so easy).

I work in health care and am starting my own business, something I have wanted to do for a long time. 

I was once a RKC and still swing my kettlebells around several times a week, but nowhere near what I once did. Discipline and time management are constant battles. Can anyone relate  ;)?

Anyway, I will be logging my food in the W30 log section "DB's third time's a charm," and will also hang out here if that's cool.

Happy New Year, everyone!

I think I have many of those same symptoms and looking at my health file I can never believe that's it's so thick!  My husband will never go to the doctor.  Good for you starting your own business!  Good luck!  My hubby and I are both optometrists so we've been in health field awhile!

My kids complain about what I eat all the time (10, 7 and 2 year olds).  I used to make them eat everything I made for dinner but now I seem to be making them separate easy unhealthy dinners just because I want the left overs of my food!  My hubby loves everything I make and he eats pretty well but he won't give up his wine a few times a week so I'm on my own.

Wishing a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year to all of us mature whole30 women from this 58-year-old in snowy upstate NY!

I'm back on for an indefinite whole30 because I had a TERRIBLE flare of my autoimmune arthritis after adding gluten-free baked products and dairy to my diet. I am now working with a wonderful nutritionist/chiropractor to get this under control so I don't have to take the nasty heavy duty drugs or have more spine surgery.

He has me on the whole30 autoimmune diet: basically meat, fish, fowl, veggies, fruit and healthy fats. No eggs and no tree nuts except for coconut. I've been doing this for about a week now and my acute pain is 75% diminished. I'm thrilled.

I will stick to this template as long as my doc says to-----a minimum of 8 weeks before adding anything back in. I am 100% determined to get my health glowing so I can enjoy this time of life.

My older son, 23, (the one with autism) is doing pretty well, thank God. He's got a new community aide and will be able to get out and about more with the support. My younger son is in Chile for winter break and is planning on becoming a middle school teacher and wrestling coach. He's doing GREAT.

None of my family is "in" but they understand that I have to take care of myself--they've seen me through 2 spine operations and don't want to see any more of THAT! I make my meals first and if I have energy and time, I add rice or some other side dish for them.

Glad to see so many of us here!

Pea

I know I'm not supposed to eat eggs because of Hashimoto's but I can't seem not too.  What do you eat for breakfast if you don't eat eggs?

I'm with you on only one in family doing it.  But i couldn't do this while listening to my 10 and 7 year old complain!  I did take them off gluten, dairy, corn, and soy for 3 weeks in the fall and they were both so much better with their stomach aches and leg cramps so now I try to minimize everything.

For breakfast, I usually eat leftovers from dinner.

If no leftovers, then I eat a can of sardines or a few slices of smoked salmon accompanied by half a baked sweet potato, a piece of yucca, or some squash. (I like the mild starch flavor in the morning.) I bake half a dozen small sweet potatoes at once and that way I can have half of one with most any meal for the whole week.

I keep bags of frozen organic veggies in the freezer, so if I'm especially hungry, I'll cook some of them up for breakfast as well. I do miss eggs---I will likely go for allergy testing at my own expense so I can eat them if I'm not reacting to them.

Until then, no eggs for Pea.

Pea

No eggs for Hashimoto's?????   I am crossing my fingers that I don't have hypothyroid.  I go on Tuesday to get all of the blood work results.

What the heck will I eat?  All of my foods will be wiped off of my plate.  

Hi All!  

Checking in with my food choices for today:

Breakfast - Eggs and Brussels Sprouts

Lunch - Sardines, Avocado and Diced Tomatoes with Lemon and herbs 

Dinner - Home made Beef and Vegi Soup, perhaps a piece of fruit

Slept really well last night.  Hoping this W30 will help take care of some shoulder pain I've had for a month or so.  If not, I may have to have it looked at.

Onward and Upward!

Have a great W30 day!

No eggs for Hashimoto's?????   I am crossing my fingers that I don't have hypothyroid.  I go on Tuesday to get all of the blood work results.

What the heck will I eat?  All of my foods will be wiped off of my plate.

Pam, there is a good chance you don't have Hashimoto's, even if you may be hypothyroid. I am hypo, but no Hashi's. Crossing fingers for you, anyway! I am supposed to get my test results Monday, so perhaps we'll commiserate, next week, haha.

Good morning everyone,

Whoo hoo, when out for dinner with friends last night and I didn't even feel tempted but the wine or the non whole30 food. And the restaurant cooked me a beautiful steak with kale, broccolini and zucchini sautéed in olive oil. It was delicious. I focused on how the bad things would affect my body and it was a total turn-off.

Feeling a bit of a headache this morning - good bye sugar!

Roll on day 5. Have a great day.

@Aimless and Pam, I have Hashimoto's, and have chosen not to do the AIP. I tried it once and found it to be very difficult. Pea, I admire your sticktoitiveness! For myself I have found doing strict Paleo or a W30 to be enormously beneficial in and of itself in terms of reducing perceptible symptoms. So, just because you have a diagnosed (or strongly suspected) autoimmune disorder does not mean you MUST do the AIP. Thank goodness! One day I may be in the space, or have the need because of symptoms, to undertake that commitment, but now is not that time for me.

I did a Whole60 back in the spring of 2013 and felt INCREDIBLE while I stuck to it.  To be honest, I was unable to string 30 compliant days together so that is why I extended it beyond 30 days.  I completed 56 of 60 days and I wish I had just continued onward without reintroductions.

For some reason, I could not get past the 14-15 day mark without waking up one morning just *dying* for sugar or gluten or dairy.  I just could not make it through those days.  I would wake up very tired and just have cravings beyond my wildest imagination.

Some have said add more sweet potatoes.  Others have said more protein.  I just don't know what to do if I go that Whole30 route again but I really think I need to restrict my food to basically Whole30ish template to feel good.  

Maybe on those days I just allow myself to eat as much compliant decadent Whole30 foods as I want, even if it means eating a jar of macadamia nut butter and ghee on apples?

As far as dietary changes if I indeed have Hashimoto's I think I will probably lean more toward just not eating those offensive foods in bulk like I do now.  I can eat my weight in brussel sprouts and cabbage.

@Aimless and Pam, I have Hashimoto's, and have chosen not to do the AIP. I tried it once and found it to be very difficult. Pea, I admire your sticktoitiveness! For myself I have found doing strict Paleo or a W30 to be enormously beneficial in and of itself in terms of reducing perceptible symptoms. So, just because you have a diagnosed (or strongly suspected) autoimmune disorder does not mean you MUST do the AIP. Thank goodness! One day I may be in the space, or have the need because of symptoms, to undertake that commitment, but now is not that time for me.

I'm hoping that's the case.  I have had Hashimoto's for about a decade and luckily I don't have any pain or anything and besides fatigue and bouts of GI issues so I don't think I'm too the point of doing  AIP either.  I was at the opposite extreme and had Grave's Disease when I was a teenager and I was fine for 10 years until after my first child, my TSH shot up over 100 and I had a huge goiter!  My thyroid has had it rough.  I wish I knew about the gluten connection when I was much younger and maybe it wouldn't have gotten so bad. I definitely was a carb freak.  No wonder I have been tired my whole life!  I've already had my kids tested for it and will keep on top of them.

I did a Whole60 back in the spring of 2013 and felt INCREDIBLE while I stuck to it.  To be honest, I was unable to string 30 compliant days together so that is why I extended it beyond 30 days.  I completed 56 of 60 days and I wish I had just continued onward without reintroductions.

For some reason, I could not get past the 14-15 day mark without waking up one morning just *dying* for sugar or gluten or dairy.  I just could not make it through those days.  I would wake up very tired and just have cravings beyond my wildest imagination.

Some have said add more sweet potatoes.  Others have said more protein.  I just don't know what to do if I go that Whole30 route again but I really think I need to restrict my food to basically Whole30ish template to feel good.  

Maybe on those days I just allow myself to eat as much compliant decadent Whole30 foods as I want, even if it means eating a jar of macadamia nut butter and ghee on apples?

As far as dietary changes if I indeed have Hashimoto's I think I will probably lean more toward just not eating those offensive foods in bulk like I do now.  I can eat my weight in brussel sprouts and cabbage.

I think I'm kind of at that mark.  I'm at day 11 and I still am waking up tired and wanting something sweet, but I also think my period is starting soon.  I haven't caved on food but I keep waiting for the energy and better sleep to magically appear.  If anything I still feel very off but I know I've been changing my thryoid meds lately.  During the first week, I did saute apples in ghee and cinnamon and it did hit the spot.  Another day I made sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil to get my salt fix.

Hello ladies,

I just happened to find this very wonderful forum for mature women on Whole 30 and i have been reading avidly each and every one of your posts.  I am 60 years young and will shortly be hitting 61.  I live with my beloved companion, my dog Sandy.  I started a W30 last January and had to stop on day 24 because I had to have a right shoulder replacement after a fall i had sustained on the front stairs of my home on September 2012. I am now on disability and was admitted three times last year, not counting my surgery, because of asthma and an episode of overall swelling after taking a drive down to Tennessee.  I was also diagnosed late last year with metabolic syndrome and sent to the weight loss clinic by my doctor.  I was really feeling bloated, tired all the time from doing nothing and brain fog. I decided to start this January 1st another W30 because even though I really didn't finish the first one i did, i really got to see a lot of changes.  The most prominent for me were decreased joint pain (I also suffer from arthritis and had knee replacements of both knees), and a burst of energy like i had not felt in a long time, and last of all, no huffing and puffing when i walked.

So here I am on day 3 ( had mishaps on both days 1 and 2) and trying to give it the best I got.  I need to be there for my daughter when she gets married in August and also for my son who has a drinking problem.  

Sorry for my blabbing on, ladies, i kinda felt comfortable in this forum.

Hi everyone, it is so good to read all the stories. Thank you all for sharing.

So I am at day 5 of my 1st Whole30 so as suggested am sharing one thiing that has already changed and I can't believe it but I am already sleeping better. Nothing has changed in my life other than what I am eating and drinking! Wow! I always thought alcohol would make me sleep better, I was so wrong!

I am still have a low grade headache, but am hoping that will settle down. I am not really craving any foods at the moment, probably as I was gluten intolerant for 20years so am use to not having what everyone else is. I can attest to the power of healing by exclusion, but once I could tolerate gluten again in my gut it manifested as eczema intead. So my body really doesn't like it at all.

Hoorah for day 6!

I'm on Day 5, and mostly posting and reading on the "Starting Jan 2nd" thread!  This is my 2nd W30 and it is going very well.  I was feeling sleepy after each meal, and worried that my blood sugar levels were the cause - although I don't have type 2 diabetes, I could if I'm not careful, and I have always tended toward hypoglycemia.  But today I woke up feeling rested and in a good mood, and have had breakfast and lunch without any sleepiness.  I know from experience that everything keeps changing, but I also know that doing the W30 is the best medicine I can offer myself in terms of stabilizing and reducing blood sugar levels.  Even pushed myself out the door for a walk yesterday and today - now that's an accomplishment for me! 

A mishap the other day with the white potato led me to start over.  So, I'm on day 2 of w30.  I hope to see the benefit of sleep first and energy second.  Cuz either I'm still jet lagging from the flight home from Germany last week, or in the start of the carb flu. I have one more week off of school before the start of spring semester and I am really hoping for the burst of energy by then! 

I'm still having two cups of coffee in the morning and if I want something hot later, I drink tea.  I had always drank my coffee black so it isn't much of an adjustment.  Giving up heavy cream and honey in my tea?  That's a bit of a stretch!

For those of you who have done w30, your stories are encouraging to read.  It is very helpful to see how this plan is beneficial. The food craving ideas are helpful, I'll have to try the fried apples and fried sweet potatoes in coconut oil.  

No outside activity yet, the wind chill today is -60 and will be even colder tomorrow.  Makes me just want to curl up with a book!

Epic fail last night for me.  This is my 3rd W30 and the first time I've really blown it.  So, I'm writing for accountability and to say I'm starting all over again this morning.  

I've been wondering about the concept of resolve.  What is it that, through the years, has made me wake up so many mornings with good intent, but has ended in failure by the time my head hits the pillow?  Is it the stress of the day, mindlessness, food addiction, all of the above?  What can we do to keep our resolve going?  I know all about keeping busy, making sure I eat enough, thinking of it as a lifestyle change and not a diet.....  yada, yada yada.

What is really at the core of this break down in resolve?  I'm sure I'm not alone.  

I am hopeful, however.

Primal living and W30 have helped me tremendously. They have hugely impacted my physical food addictions as well as helped with my emotional eating problems (the two are linked).  I'm over a year into this (happier, healthier and lighter). Clearly I'm not finished with the mental process, and may never be, but W30 gives hope, as it gives us specific action. Today is a new day.

Sorry, if I've yammered on too much.

Onward and Upward!

Applegirl -

I've often thought that about resolve too, and prayed that I could get into bed at night knowing I'd put in a good day on the food front.

Just in my Inbox this morning is Dr Mike Eades' latest post - "Help for low carb dieters".

I know we're eating paleo rather than low carb but we're all reducing carbs a ton. There are heaps of links in there like -

- meditating in the garden of self loathing

- why is low carb harder the second time

- low carb torpedos

- leptin, low carb and hunger

Etc, etc.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/help-low-carb-dieters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+drmikenutritionblog+%28The+Blog+of+Michael+R.+Eades%2C+M.D.%29

The thing that helps me is to really, really heap up my plate at each meal. I take a dinner sized plate and completely cover it with vegetables first then add in some protein and fat. I want to feel almost stuffed after I eat. That way snacking is unappealing.

For the last 2 months I've been recovering from an Achilles tendon and calf muscle injury. It's been a very frustratingly slow business. With the Christmas food (and having visitors staying) my foot has been hugely swollen each night.

One of my main motivations to eat W30 right now is to get that swelling down. On day 3 now and the foot is back to normal size and feeling the best it has in 2 months. Maybe one day I'll be able to walk properly again and not have to go down stairs sideways!

Great to read everyone's stories. We're old enough to have gone through many different weightless regimes in the past - most of them low fat. The young ones should cast their eyes over our stories to see where low fat dieting can get you. 

I wish I'd had this paleo knowledge back then.

Take care.

It's blazing hot summer down here right now. Thinking enviously of you in the cold - well, I'd like 5 minutes of it please!~ 

Applegirl, you haven't "yammered on to much" at all. I appreciate your musings on the issue, having contemplated it quite a bit myself. 

Rewiring a brain is hard work and requires persistence and patience. I have been eating according to this template for about 14 months and, really, it's taken that long to feel like it might be starting to be just a little tiny bit intuitive, so that when I go off the rails, it's a little earlier to right myself. But I still forget. And then I have to will myself out of the tendancy for self-flagellating guilt and just make the best next choice to right myself.

So you are certainly not alone and I am glad you brought up the topic.

@Applegirl, you aren't alone.

I am starting my Whole 30 journey on the 13th and I am hopeful that it will start a chain reaction- for the better. My resolve and motivation has really faltered this year, as I am unemployed and the few job opportunities haven't had positive results. I feel that disappointment every day. It is affecting my sleep, my enthusiasm for the day, and definitely my food choices. 

I have made my meal plan for the month, so there should be no "what do I eat" moments. I plan to take this 1 meal at a time, and to remind myself that I am worth it (whatever "it" may be!).

OK.  Went to MD today and got my blood work and saliva testing results:  NO Hasimoto's or even a slight concern (TPO very normal).  That is awesome.

TSH actually lower than the last time I had it checked.  For those familiar with tests and reference ranges, this was it:

T3 free  2.5 pg/mL  (range 2.0-4.4)

T4 free  1.07 ng/dL (range .82-1.77)

TSH      2.75 uIU/mL (range .450-4.50)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody  <5 IU/mL  (looking for <=35)

I am still going to try a lowish dose of Armour (desiccated porcine from compounding pharmacy) 30mgs daily to see if it helps.  It seems I am able to convert the T4 to T3 even though the T4 could actually be a bit higher, optimally.  Both values are at about the 25-30th %ile.

Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy was low:  29.8 ng/mL  (range 32-100)

I had been taking D3 but not so much in the past 6 months.  I'm going to try 5000 IU/day and retest in a 6 months

This one I love:  C-Reactive Protein is only .90!  I was so expecting an elevated number and this of all things makes me feel the best.  Low risk (for heart disease mostly) is <1.0 mg/L

The doc's first words out of her mouth when we went over this was, "Awesome.  Are you gluten free?"   :D

Salivary cortisol was out of whack, as expected, although all values within a normal range.  Spikes way too high at around 6am which is why I am waking up around 3-4am consistently as the levels start to rocket up.  Too big of a drop in the early-mid morning hours and then starting to rise again at night which likely indicates unresolved stress.  (duh) And dysregulated hormones.

Salivary sex hormones wasn't run due to lab paperwork error so I get that in a week.  We are fully expecting me to be estrogen dominant with low progesterone and normal testosterone based on prior saliva test 4 years ago and symptoms.  I might consider bioidentical progesterone even though my last experience with it wasn't great.  Looking back, it could have been the DHEA or homeopathic norepinephrine my last naturopath tried at the same time.

So what to do with this?  One, I am so grateful that I do not have Hashimoto's and that my inflammatory markers are low.  What a relief! I feel like I have the ability to control this one.  My anxiety level went way down just from the visit.

Continue a mostly gluten free and dairy free diet.  Work extra hard on reducing the stress in my life and resolve marital problems whether it means staying together or divorcing.  She was very up front with the low chance of restoring libido merely with bioidentical hormone replacement.  She asked me if I was feeling stress around bed time due to my low libido.  BINGO.  haha  

I feel energized, mentally, but still physically fatigued.  I really hope I am going to see some energy return with diet and supplements and we will retest in 6 months as long as I stay compliant.

This is what I will now take:

Armour  30mgs

multivitamin

Vitamin D3  5000 IU

Adrenal support complex to maintain cortisol during day

Pregnenolone  10 mg   (have to research this a bit)

Night time adrenal support to lower cortisol at night

Night time support has melatonin in it which bothers me.  I had a negative reaction to that the one time I took it (racing thoughts).  She was familiar with that side effect so we will just wait and see what happens.  

Wish me luck!  I will add these one by one to see if I have any reactions so it might take some time to get up to speed.  I will continue to go to individual and marital therapy to improve myself and my marriage.  I will continue on a modified (at the minimum) Whole30 or Primal diet and try to keep sugar to an absolute minimum.  I will stay active and try to shut down the TV and computer around 9PM to relax.  

I started using aromatherapy a bit last month.  I have a diffuser running on the main floor much of the day and I just ordered one for upstairs while I sleep (thinking lavender and other relaxing aromas).  

This is the year of ME.  I truly, truly hope 2014 can also be the year of my marriage but I sometimes worry that too much time has passed without addressing hurts to fix it.  Probably the biggest question is if my husband has the patience to let me work on all of this without the pressure of sex hanging over my head every night.

Yay, me.  

OK.  Went to MD today and got my blood work and saliva testing results:  NO Hasimoto's or even a slight concern (TPO very normal).  That is awesome.

TSH actually lower than the last time I had it checked.  For those familiar with tests and reference ranges, this was it:

T3 free  2.5 pg/mL  (range 2.0-4.4)

T4 free  1.07 ng/dL (range .82-1.77)

TSH      2.75 uIU/mL (range .450-4.50)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody  <5 IU/mL  (looking for <=35)

I am still going to try a lowish dose of Armour (desiccated porcine from compounding pharmacy) 30mgs daily to see if it helps.  It seems I am able to convert the T4 to T3 even though the T4 could actually be a bit higher, optimally.  Both values are at about the 25-30th %ile.

Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy was low:  29.8 ng/mL  (range 32-100)

I had been taking D3 but not so much in the past 6 months.  I'm going to try 5000 IU/day and retest in a 6 months

This one I love:  C-Reactive Protein is only .90!  I was so expecting an elevated number and this of all things makes me feel the best.  Low risk (for heart disease mostly) is <1.0 mg/L

The doc's first words out of her mouth when we went over this was, "Awesome.  Are you gluten free?"   :D

Salivary cortisol was out of whack, as expected, although all values within a normal range.  Spikes way too high at around 6am which is why I am waking up around 3-4am consistently as the levels start to rocket up.  Too big of a drop in the early-mid morning hours and then starting to rise again at night which likely indicates unresolved stress.  (duh) And dysregulated hormones.

Salivary sex hormones wasn't run due to lab paperwork error so I get that in a week.  We are fully expecting me to be estrogen dominant with low progesterone and normal testosterone based on prior saliva test 4 years ago and symptoms.  I might consider bioidentical progesterone even though my last experience with it wasn't great.  Looking back, it could have been the DHEA or homeopathic norepinephrine my last naturopath tried at the same time.

So what to do with this?  One, I am so grateful that I do not have Hashimoto's and that my inflammatory markers are low.  What a relief! I feel like I have the ability to control this one.  My anxiety level went way down just from the visit.

Continue a mostly gluten free and dairy free diet.  Work extra hard on reducing the stress in my life and resolve marital problems whether it means staying together or divorcing.  She was very up front with the low chance of restoring libido merely with bioidentical hormone replacement.  She asked me if I was feeling stress around bed time due to my low libido.  BINGO.  haha  

I feel energized, mentally, but still physically fatigued.  I really hope I am going to see some energy return with diet and supplements and we will retest in 6 months as long as I stay compliant.

This is what I will now take:

Armour  30mgs

multivitamin

Vitamin D3  5000 IU

Adrenal support complex to maintain cortisol during day

Pregnenolone  10 mg   (have to research this a bit)

Night time adrenal support to lower cortisol at night

Night time support has melatonin in it which bothers me.  I had a negative reaction to that the one time I took it (racing thoughts).  She was familiar with that side effect so we will just wait and see what happens.  

Wish me luck!  I will add these one by one to see if I have any reactions so it might take some time to get up to speed.  I will continue to go to individual and marital therapy to improve myself and my marriage.  I will continue on a modified (at the minimum) Whole30 or Primal diet and try to keep sugar to an absolute minimum.  I will stay active and try to shut down the TV and computer around 9PM to relax.  

I started using aromatherapy a bit last month.  I have a diffuser running on the main floor much of the day and I just ordered one for upstairs while I sleep (thinking lavender and other relaxing aromas).  

This is the year of ME.  I truly, truly hope 2014 can also be the year of my marriage but I sometimes worry that too much time has passed without addressing hurts to fix it.  Probably the biggest question is if my husband has the patience to let me work on all of this without the pressure of sex hanging over my head every night.

Yay, me.  

Good luck!  I hope all that helps everything!  I am going tomorrow to see about supplements and amino acids.  The only thing I would add is that TSH is sometimes tricky.  I feel best when mine is 1.5-1.9.  Since I've lowered my dosage mine has gone up to 2.4-2.7 and I have been freezing and having other symptoms, but I do have Hashimoto's.  I think being gluten free might be keeping your numbers in "normal range" but that also doesn't mean it's "normal" for you.  I hope you seem some improvement with Armor.  My mom takes that.

If you find the secret to increasing your libido, let me know!  That's always a stress here as well:(  I know this is getting personal, but can you pick a day of the week for sex?  Then you won't have the stress every night and he'll know when it will happen and not ask other nights....

Thanks, Just Real Food, I'll check out the Eades post.  Sounds like you're doing really well.  I wouldn't mind a bit of heat.  It will be 25 below zero with the wind chill tomorrow.  Yikes!  And yes, prayer is a well I go to often.

Dukunbayi, I get exactly what you're saying.  It is a process, and it is becoming more intuitive, retraining our minds to get rid of guilt is a huge thing to overcome.  

Heather H,  You have a lot going on. This will really help you.  It's great that you are doing something so positive for yourself, while you work through the other issues in your life.  I hope I wasn't a downer.  I really am much happier and healthier than I was before, just pondering things in my mind.  So glad you found us.

I knew I could count on this group to listen.  This is a great place where we can encourage each other, hold each other accountable and where we understand the ups and downs.

Had a great day today, back on track.  You guys rock!!!!!

Applegirl, I feel your pain on the cold.  Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 1 degree with extreme windchills again.  At least there will be school, my children are getting on my nerves.

PamH, it sounds like you are making great strides in making things better.  You're hopeful and positive and that's bound to rub off on husband.  Truly, a "date night" isn't a bad option. 

I had some cravings today as I was feeling discouraged about health, kids, dinner, and just wanted comfort food.  Turns out I could eat my leftovers from last night, and tell the kids to heat up leftovers.  They're 18 and 15 and can do that.  Husband is heading for work and I plan to read, and stay warm.  Coming to these boards, reading W30 cookbooks isn't super exciting, but keeps me on track.  

Good luck!  I hope all that helps everything!  I am going tomorrow to see about supplements and amino acids.  The only thing I would add is that TSH is sometimes tricky.  I feel best when mine is 1.5-1.9.  Since I've lowered my dosage mine has gone up to 2.4-2.7 and I have been freezing and having other symptoms, but I do have Hashimoto's.  I think being gluten free might be keeping your numbers in "normal range" but that also doesn't mean it's "normal" for you.  I hope you seem some improvement with Armor.  My mom takes that.

If you find the secret to increasing your libido, let me know!  That's always a stress here as well:(  I know this is getting personal, but can you pick a day of the week for sex?  Then you won't have the stress every night and he'll know when it will happen and not ask other nights....

Sex.  Sigh.  There are personal issues… long term marital issues… that complicate things.  I have taken sex off of the table for the past 2 months because I just could not continue to pretend and also heal from those deep seeded issues literally starting from Day One of our relationship.  We have already tried the 'pick a day' method.  Tried lots of things.  We are slowly working our way back up to actual sex.  Right now we are at the cuddling stage; one night we cuddle 'his way' (basically foreplay without intercourse) and the next night we cuddle 'my way' (deep holding without the roaming hands) so both of us get our needs met.

I am certain I am one of those who has symptoms despite being within the normal TSH range.  I hope the Armour helps, too!

I also question my low cholesterol.  It is very low.  At times it has been down to 113 (total cholesterol) and HDLs are high and LDLs are low.  Many of the sex hormones are dependent on cholesterol; as well as vitamin D.   I think my last cholesterol panel run after 6 months on Paleo diet had total cholesterol up to 185.  I should probably have that repeated to see if it stuck.

All so complicated.

Archived