When there are no options.

lisawhip

This week I had to take my 11-year-old in for some pretty yucky medical tests. Afterwards, we stopped to do a couple of errands, and she asked to get some dinner. She'd had such a crappy day, so I agreed to take her to her favorite place, which is an Asian noodle restaurant--she's celiac AND a vegetarian and they can accommodate her. Of course, there was literally NOTHING on the menu that complied with the W30. It wasn't a huge deal at all--I wasn't particularly hungry, nothing tempted me, and we were 10 minutes from my house where I could eat like a king. I guess I just felt like a doofus just sitting there drinking my water. I've never really done that before...this isn't really a question as much as a bit of a venting. If I'd had to go somewhere like this for work or something, I know the strategies (eat first, pack a snack), and I don't feel the need to explain myself to the waitstaff or fellow diners. I'd just like to feel more comfortable in the situation.

Nope. It's a vegetarian place, so the only protein is soy. If I'd been starving, I might have asked for some steamed vegetables. Usually, we get takeout for her, but she wanted the "ambience." :) I guess I hadn't realized how weird it would feel until it was happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't eat in restaurants all the time - since way before I'd heard of Whole30.  My husband likes to eat out on weekends and I've never been a huge fan of restaurant food.  I always take peppermint tea bags with me.  If the restaurant serves herbal mint tea, I'll buy that; otherwise I ask for hot water and use my own tea bags.  It feels less weird the longer you do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll vent, too, while we are at it!

My boyfriend is on board with this Whole30 (Day 23!) and he said "I don't miss cheese or bread or Gatorade (the Gatorade thing was huge! He was actually convinced it was good for you!!) but I'm excited to go to a restaurant and not be weird and look like a freak."

So far, I've had to order first (I can spout off compliant meals at all the restaurants in a 3 mile radius - ha) and then he just says "Me too" whatever it was.  We MET working at a restaurant years ago.  We are polite. We tip generously. It's OK to have special requests.

Why does it have to be "freakish" to eat real food without added sugars? Why are we the weird ones??

I'll vent, too, while we are at it!

My boyfriend is on board with this Whole30 (Day 23!) and he said "I don't miss cheese or bread or Gatorade (the Gatorade thing was huge! He was actually convinced it was good for you!!) but I'm excited to go to a restaurant and not be weird and look like a freak."

So far, I've had to order first (I can spout off compliant meals at all the restaurants in a 3 mile radius - ha) and then he just says "Me too" whatever it was.  We MET working at a restaurant years ago.  We are polite. We tip generously. It's OK to have special requests.

Why does it have to be "freakish" to eat real food without added sugars? Why are we the weird ones??

if we go anywhere casual where you have to order at the counter, I always have to do the ordering. my husband wont ask for my order because he's embarrassed by all my adjustments! even before the whole 30, i'd have to order my own coffee. i'm fine ordering things so that I know i'll get what I want!

if I can't do that, i'm happy with nothing...or just a drink. friends think i'm weird, and a few don't ask me out anymore which I think is sad. I want to see people for the company, not to eat food!

• 4 weeks later...

My husband won't order my meals either. I have been pretty much carb free for about 3 years so have got used to ordering off plan. 

Most places are only too happy to help. In one place they always give me an extra 100% beef patty to replace the missing bun and fries. And a little jug of olive oil instead of the usual dressing on the salad. They get well tipped :)

Tea! I have heaps of herbal tea bags in their own packets (Twinings) and tea feels more social than water to me, as it's usually too hot when it first arrives :)

Breaking the social expectations seems hard at first, but it gets easier and is one of the best long term habits to adjust to.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 to a big breakfast. If your day might have limited options for whatever reason, eat big and eat good before you go out. Carry whatever safe things you can with you. Lunchbots make some tiny tins which hold a teeny size for mayo, nut butter or something fatty or meaty. They're not cold packs, but metal, so I find keep nut butters perfectly, mayo etc depends on time/heat, etc.

Archived