Old-Slow-Fat-Runner Question

thewyrdwoman

I'm a little nervous -- I had to convince myself to post in this forum because I haven't been an athlete since high school (a loooooooong time ago) and, well, see the title.

I'm now tooling along on my first Whole30, having been mostly primal for a few months and now close to halfway through a Galloway training schedule for my 2nd full marathon in December.   

Last Sunday's long run was scheduled for 13 miles, but I just couldn't finish & had to cut it short at 8.  It started out great for the first hour (remember, I'm slow), but into the second hour, I ran out of steam completely.  I'm thinking I need to adjust my pre-run food, but I'm not sure how.

Here are my complications:

1.  Age - 59
  2. Weight - still need to lose a bunch
  3. Conditioning - sedentary for decades until 3 years ago
  4. Climate - central Florida, ‘nuff said
  5. Chronic health issues - several, digestive among them

In order to get the long runs done before the sub-tropical sun turns me into a crispy critter, I have to get on the road really early, so I'm already getting up 1-2 hours ahead of normal.  I'm also not a big breakfast person, although I've adjusted to it on my Whole30.  And, I'm not a person who can exercise on a full stomach, so I would have to get up another hour earlier to be able to digest a meal before running.

So I just had a cup of coffee with a lot of coconut “cream†& a small spoonful of almond butter before Sunday's run, which didn't seem to work too well.  I was thinking about trying Mark Sisson's version of “bulletproof†coffee with the egg yolks -- any other suggestions?

I did my 13 mile run for my upcoming half marathon on Saturday. About 45 minutes before my run I ate 4 fried eggs and a couple strips of bacon and black coffee. I filled my water bottles with half water and half coconut water. If you are running out of steam it is possible you are running in to high a heart rate zone for a long run. I try to keep my heart rate in my recovery zone as long as I possibly can on my long runs. Perhaps try running them as a negative split where your first half is slower and your second is faster. Aside from that, are you getting enough starchy vegetables throughout your week to have full glycogen stores on your long run day? If you are fat adapted and you are staying in a low enough HR zone you shouldn't need them but it could be part of the problem. Also if you are getting up 1-2 hours earlier are you also going to be 1-2 hours earlier the night before?

I'm not familiar with the Galloway training program. I personally am using SmartCoach for my training and do 2-3 easy runs, a long run, and a tempo or speedwork run each week. Is that similar to what you are doing on yours? The only training runs where you get close to your all out effort should be speedwork and tempo runs.

Must read... " Paleo for athletes" by Loren Cordain

Eating pre won't do anything for you if your not fueling properly during recovery.... Got to fill up the tank or stay well below your anaerobic threshold during your runs

Great easy read, explains in detail the five stages of recovery

Galloway training is run-walk intervals & I try to start slow & use talk test to gauge exertion. Speed is not an issue - I just aim to finish before the course closes & don't do speed work. Pretty sure I'm not fat adapted yet although oddly enough my mid-week short runs have been better times on the Whole30. Can't fall asleep 2 hours earlier - insomnia & sleep apnea. =\

I'll have to check out the Cordain book - I like his other books. Pretty sure I'm below threshold, it's low intensity long duration for the most part.

Run-walk methodology is something I've done before. It's just intervals - run for 60s, walk for 30/60/90 depending on what shape you're in is the way I've done it. I'm thinking, based on the way it's written in her post, maybe it's a "run until you can't talk, walk until you can talk again, run until you can't talk" sort of thing? Where the talk test measures your exertion rate (if you can hold a steady conversation, you're in a good zone for you) instead of a heart rate monitor or whatever. 

Instead of going straight to 2 hours earlier on your bed time, I'd suggest trying a few minutes earlier at night, wake up a few minutes earlier in the morning. That way you make it more gradual with less shock to the system. The earlier wake up time will make you (hopefully) more tired in the evenings.

Instead of fighting through tiredness until you get your second wind (or until you think your bedtime should be), try to get ready for bed as soon as I feel tired in any way (even subtle signs, like lethargy). Get off your computer (and smart phone and TV and iPad and whatever) an hour before bed (blue light = feeling more awake). When you're in bed, be trying to sleep. No reading/other activities in bed (other than, well, other bedroom activities). Staying up past the initial tiredness wave (whenever it is) will get you a second wind that, at least for me, is harder to go to sleep through.

Sleep apnea is its own issue (my dad has it and has to sleep with headgear on), so I won't touch on that.

Good luck!

Today is Day 19 of restart; been actually trying since August 5th. 

As far as the run-walk, I generally do 1:1 minutes & gauge the run effort by talk test.  Running in the heat of central Florida summer as a "mature, voluptuous" woman is a struggle in and of itself.  I try to pay close attention to my breathing and overall sense of well being and adjust accordingly.  It's much easier in cooler weather.

Good suggestions -- thanks to everyone for taking the time.   I will work on all of these.  :)

Old, slow...from one to another :)  ALthough, I have to say that if you are out there doing it and trying to make things happen, don't be so negative about yourself!  The best way forward is to see your efforts as remarkable and extraordinary in this world of self-proclaimed and proud couch potatoes!  Remember to compare yourself to, er...yourself! No one's standards matter, but your own.  You can do it!

Oh, by the way...all of the above is my own daily mantra!!! Years of self-abuse and negative self-talk are part of what I am overcoming as I near 50! Hang in there, and I'll do the same!

It is the journey that makes us strong, not the finish... :)

Archived