Vegan on Whole30

Charm72

I am vegan and have been for 3 1/2 years Vegetarian at least 3 years before that, although i was always careful to avoid processed food, i did eat alot of beans, tofu, basmati rice and the like.. ALthough I rarely ate bread and when i did it was wheat and gluten free. My nutritionist suggested allowing myself organic chick peas as an additional source of protein. I do not eat meat (obviously) so therefore i have to be careful with protein intake... I am on day 15 of the Whole 30 and I went through a bout of low grade headaches on day 4 through 6 , those went away and now on days 14 through today (15) I have been experiencing Nausea, a little gassy,  crampy... just not feeling 100% i have researched this and this does not appear to be uncommon, (carb flu as I understand it) curious as to any ways to alleviate these symptoms or if because I am Vegan I may be lacking something.... I eat tons of spinach, kale, brussel sprouts,I am not a huge fan of fruit so don' t eat much, may this be a problem?...I eat nuts and dates.... and only water and herbal teas as I do not drink fruit juices or soda and never did... just curious as to what may be going on or if this is the normal trajectory...

Thank You in advance for any input

Best

Charm

• Moderators

You probably already know of the vegetarian/vegan shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Vegetarian-Shopping-List.pdf

You might want to make sure you get some starchy veggies every day to ease carb-flu - sweet potatoes, butternut squash, plantains, pumpkin, etc. 

Are you eating a lot more of something than you had since beginning your Whole30? That might explain some symptoms. A lot more nuts may impact your digestion. But feeling less than 100 percent is very common during the first two weeks.

Archived