Plantains - Geelong, Australia

bmissen

Hi everyone!

I'm on day 17 at the moment, and looking to mix up my meals a bit, and have seen recipes calling for plantains. I'm told they're a mix between potatoes and bananas.

Would anyone know where to get them? I've never seen them around!

Belinda,

Hi everyone!

I'm on day 17 at the moment, and looking to mix up my meals a bit, and have seen recipes calling for plantains. I'm told they're a mix between potatoes and bananas.

Would anyone know where to get them? I've never seen them around!

Belinda,

Belinda, I've been able to buy them at our local grocery in the produce section. They look like bananas (have you googled images?) and there all different kinds. I would imagine you could find them at any store that occasionally carries imported produce. The ones here are usually imported from South America. I wonder if they grow and import from the tropics closer to Australia? Or do you live near a grocery that carries ethnic foods? They're not too terribly uncommon. Good luck! 

(when you're not on Whole 30, fried plantains with mexican crema and black beans and fresh lime and cilantro is delicious! I imagine a Whole 30 version would use cubed butternut squash or sweet potato in place of the beans, skip the crema, and go straight to the cilantro and lime drizzled on top! Thanks for the idea... ha ha ha...)

Plantains are the greatest thing on the planet. My father's from Cuba and we grew up on them. I was always told they were the unhealthiest part of the meal in respect to the rice, beans, and meat...but now that I'm on the pale/Whole 30 bandwagon I can see that's totally wrong. Just bought some Friday and prepping them for tonight as we speak! Just pan fry them in coconut oil or ghee. Delicious. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have found them in Melbourne, but not something regularly stocked. I'd be surprised if we don't grow them up north in QLD. I found mine in an asian grocer, but it would be worth asking your local grocers if they ever get them in. Also look for any ethnic grocers which use plantains in their local cuisine. I've heard of them found in African, Vietnamese and latin grocers in Australia.

When you see the ones in stores, I find they range from bright green to nearly black (as they ripen).  I'd ask at markets if you don't see them.  My stores usually don't have a ton of them, and they tend to be around bananas, so you can easily miss them. They are so good.  I have two in the kitchen now.  Better go to bed before I start frying. 

• 4 weeks later...

Plantains are back in my asian grocer. In large quantities.

Also feel very silly, realised a veggie called Yam Bean I have been seeing on and off for ages is a jicama, but not the round style, more four-leaf-clover shaped. Does anyone know how to cook/prepare these?

• 1 month later...

I have been looking for plantains on and off during the 10 years since I moved back to Australia.  Imagine my surprise when I found them today at the banana farm down the road.  The lady who owns it reckons she's unsure if there is a market for them but every time I have googled "plantains in Australia" all I find is other people looking for them!   Hopefully I am not violating the forum rules since this isn't my business that I am "promoting" - just wanted to let y'all know that Doyle's Bananas in Hervey Bay QLD (0741281504)  grows and sells plantains.     :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived