Day 3, so far so good (ish)!

beckysefco

Today is my third day. I work at a coffee shop so I'm surrounded by sugar and dairy and pastries and I've been holding strong, although this morning the first thing I thought of at 5 a.m. when I woke up was... a cinnamon roll! Oh how I wanted one. I am a huge sugar fiend and I have had cravings every day, which really is nothing new. I'm the reason why grocery stores have chocolate in the checkout lanes-- I take full advantage every time! ...I digress.

This is my first Whole30 but my second attempt. Last time I gave up around day 4 or 5. I want to do it after noticing how my health is so linked to what I eat (last week I had a huge migraine, turns out the pound of pistachios I ate was probably the culprit, I didn't realize they were a common trigger for many people), I am tired of being a 25-year old pizza  face (mmm pizza), and let's be honest! I don't want to be overweight anymore! Who doesn't want to feel better AND look better?

Hopefully logging and commenting on other people's posts will help me stay accountable. My husband is very supportive but is not able to join me at this time. So feel free to comment and I'll follow your log as well! I'm all about support and helping others as much as I can!

So here's for the boring stuff: the food. (I feel like no one cares about what I eat)

Day 1: No appetite for some reason, ate anyway
           M1: 2 eggs over easy, mixed sauteed veggies and half an avocado

M2: Huge grilled chicken salad with tons of greens and veggies. Mustard, EVOO (ugh I can't believe I just said that), egg, lemon juice vinaigrette

M3: Shrimp scampi (from Make It Paleo) and a ton of steamed broccoli

Day 2: Didn't feel like a big deal, I enjoyed all my meals. Got a late night headache but it wasn't too bad.

M1: 2 hardboiled eggs, 2 clementines, celery with sunflower seed butter (I know, I know, I had to be at work at 5:45, it was the best I could do!)

M2: shrimp salad lettuce cups (celery, onion, homemade mayo that I botched)

M3: Turkey meatloaf and homemade ketchup. My husband liked it but I'm not sure I'll be making it again.

Day 3: Sleepy (not sure if it's the food or early mornings), and diarrhea. TMI but that's my life right now.

M1: Forgot to grab breakfast so I munched on some celery, sunbutter and 2 clementines that I left at work, when I got home I had two chicken sausages and lots of cucumber/onion/botched mayo salad. So frickin good.
           M2: Not sure yet. I just ate breakfast #2 (maybe that counts as M2?) and I'm not hungry so I got nothin.

M3: Mexican "rice" bowls, made with a ground venison/chorizo combo (noms), spanish cauliflower "rice," tomatoes, onions, maybe peppers if I'm feeling jazzy. Oh yeah and guac. Can't forget the guac!

Today is my day off, so I'm going to take a nap now. Hoping to hit the gym later for the first CrossFit workout I've done in a month... gah.

Good luck everyone, thanks for reading!

We're so busy in the morning I don't have time to think about it, we have to pay for them (only the drinks are free), and I keep them out of sight out of mind. It's hard not to taste the smoothies or take shots of the whipped cream, so as soon as I pour a drink and have extra, I dump it.

I hope I can but I'm not sure I can follow through with that for a whole month! Thanks for the input! Woo!

You're doing great! I too am a sugar fiend, except mine is in the form of wine and baking!

I'm on Day 2. I made it to Day 21 back in January and fell off the wagon right into a so-so sugar cookie;) My husband is on board this time which I'm hoping makes it a bit easier. I keep telling myself over and over and over that it's only 30 days!

We can do it!

Day 3 for me and I feel like I've been hit by a truck! Sleepy, all day. I hung in there but it was a hard one especially after 2 days feeling great. Ate entirely on plan but random times and multiple meals. Not hungry, maybe more cravings?? I should of taken a nap but 4yr old and 18 mo old were not going to have it.

Funny about the "stomach troubles" today..I had the opposite. Hope that doesn't last. Not fun.

According to the timeline, today is "kill all the things" day. I don't feel like killiing all the things necessarily but my husband did comment on how I was being grumpy today. hmph. My problems from yesterday are gone, but now I'm having the opposite problem. Changing your diet is weird...

This morning it was raining and much cooler (never happens in Nebraska) and I decided that I needed some comfort food today. I don't think I could get through the whole thirty days eating only raw fresh meals or meat and steamed vegetables. I needed something to make me feel better about the accident I got in to today! (Rear ended, I'm fine!) Sooooooo, I made some delicious things.

M1: Spaghetti squash quiche with leftover venison meat and onions crumbled on top (PaleOMG). First experience with spaghetti squash today, I'll be making it again.
M2: THE BEST CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP YOU WILL EVER EAT. Want the recipe? PM me.
M3: TBA. Probably steak and steamed broccoli. And more soup, if Kevin doesn't eat it all.

How are y'all doin?

This program isn't supposed to be about choking down boring food. Eat delicious things all the time! Just make them with compliant ingredients. As far as I can you have done that today (though not seeing the soup recipe I have to trust you). Keep up the great work and I'm glad you are OK after your fender bender. No fun for sure.

@Physibeth Totally. I just know somewhere down the line I'm going to get lazy and cook default meals like chicken and veggies or salad. I have to make sure I keep from doing that!

The soup had 3 kinds of mushrooms and onions cooked in coconut oil, about a can or so of coconut milk and a little bit of beef broth ("organic"). Fresh thyme, garlic, dried oregano, salt, pepper and a little ground cloves. So I think I am good to go!

Thanks for the input, I'm new at this and I'm gonna need some help with recipes to keep from getting bored! So far I've made a lot of things that I've never done before and I think its fun!

I loved to cook before my Whole 30, but taking it on made me branch out of my comfort zone.  Have you attempted to make your own mayo yet? It's amazing! And I had never made my own chicken stock (made a batch today), but I was amazed at how hard it was to find any without added sugar. These two staples made it much easier for me to cook what we love and focus on what we can eat! Not what we can't...although a glass of wine is sounding pretty good right about now;) My La Croix is going to have to suffice for a few more weeks!

@Michele I tried to make mayo on day two, it didn't properly emulsify and it was runny! It still tasted really good and I used it, but I think what screwed it up was the ratios of fat:egg:lemon juice. Yeah, I am not by any means a wino but I AM a huge beer snob. I am missing my Breckenridge Vanilla Porter but I'll survive. Today I am craving/missing sugar! Gah! It's not that bad, just frustrating.

This is super motivational! I just checked out the forum for the first time! I, too, am on day three. I started on Monday, failed on Tuesday night (an incredible extra sharp cheddar grilled cheese with avocado.. ugh!), and started again on Wednesday. I feel crappy today, but I feel determined! We can do this!  :D  Maybe reading more about other people going through the same stuff will help me. Thanks for posting!

@kelseyv did you start your own topic in the YourWhole30Log forum?? You should!

Day 5: I am typing on my husbands tablet so if I have horrible typos I apologize! Today I woke up super tired but that might just be me getting used to waking up early. No headaches today so that's good. Went to the gym today and did 3rft: 500m row, 12 deadlifts, 21 box jumps. It was a struggle. I was winded, weak and I felt like I didn't have any energy. But! I'm super out of shape right now and its nothing a few more frequent gym visits can't fix! Also I started wanting sweet foods today, like really bad. But I think its just in my head.

M1: two hardboiled eggs, one chicken sausage, strawberries, broccoli slaw salad and half an avocado. I was a hungry girl.

M2: proscioutto, celery, cucumbers, baby carrots. I had a half hour between gym and work so I did my best!

M3: grilled chicken salad, homemade vinaigrette

That's it for now.

@kelseyv did you start your own topic in the YourWhole30Log forum?? You should!

Day 5: I am typing on my husbands tablet so if I have horrible typos I apologize! Today I woke up super tired but that might just be me getting used to waking up early. No headaches today so that's good. Went to the gym today and did 3rft: 500m row, 12 deadlifts, 21 box jumps. It was a struggle. I was winded, weak and I felt like I didn't have any energy. But! I'm super out of shape right now and its nothing a few more frequent gym visits can't fix! Also I started wanting sweet foods today, like really bad. But I think its just in my head.

M1: two hardboiled eggs, one chicken sausage, strawberries, broccoli slaw salad and half an avocado. I was a hungry girl.

M2: proscioutto, celery, cucumbers, baby carrots. I had a half hour between gym and work so I did my best!

M3: grilled chicken salad, homemade vinaigrette

That's it for now.

Becky, did you have a pre/postWO snack? That'll help a lot with energy, recovery, and getting your performance up!

@amberino no I didn't, and to tell you the truth I knew working out without one was going to be a bad idea. I will today for sure! Thanks Amber and @Physibeth for the input!

@GFgirl hey! It was rough. Saturdays are busy for me-- I supervise swimming lessons at a local community center then I teach 3 private lessons of my own THEN I have to shower and haul @$$ over to my coffee shop job. I planned poorly for this and wound up eating next to nothing during the day. Normally I would've grabbed a greek yogurt for breakfast and a Jimmy John's Unwich for lunch, but as we all know, no can do. The one good thing about yesterday was, despite my raging hunger I managed to NOT eat any of the horrible crap at the coffee shop! So that's good. Next Saturday I will definitely plan ahead more. How was yours? I guess its still not done yet, huh?

Yesterday, day 6:
M1: Ha! That's funny.
M2: A few bites of chicken and steamed broccoli and carrots. :(
M3: Eggs, sauteed broccoli slaw, green peppers, green onions and a half avocado.

Today, day 7 so far:
M1: Steamed carrots and broccoli, half pork sausage, half an avocado. Handful of red grapes.
M2: Probably some skirt steak and chimichurri, 1/2 cup sweet potato and steamed broccoli.
M3: TBA

I need to go to the grocery store BADLY. It's great that I'm running out of things, not wasting food, but also buying enough groceries to last a week. Man, this meal planning stuff really works!

Um, here are some personal pros and cons that I've discovered recently:

Pros :) :
-Energy is way up!
-Even when I'm hungry, I'm not STARVING and I can wait a bit for a meal unlike before
-I am drinking way more water (unrelated but still good!)
-My husband is trying to eat better too, I am rubbing off on him
-My ever-present belly bloat is gone so my swim suit fits better
-Skin is improvng, but not necessarily clearing up... yet!
-I don't think I've ever gone a week in my whole life without crap food. So that's an accomplishment.
-My neck/left shouder pain (feels like tendonitis sorta) is going away, but flared up a bit after the gym! This is probably the best thing because it drives me crazy sometimes.

Cons: :angry:
-I can't seem to eat vegetables in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem?
-Sometimes I doubt myself on whether or not I can actually continue this way after my 30 days are up. I'm just being honest. I want to, really, but I guess we'll see. I should'nt sell myself short a week into it.
-Not going no. 2. Ever. :wacko:

So that's it. Thank you everyone for the comments and support, both the seasoned veterans and noobs like myself. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Becky:

That is a lot of pros on your list.  GREAT JOB!  We are over one week in at this point.  Just imagine how much better things will be by week 4. 

I am with you on veggies at breakfast.  I struggle big time!  Last week I made a chili loaded with veggies, but I had to force it down all week long.  Breakfast is my hardest meal for sure.

Would be interested to see what other say about your cons....

Keep it up!

AMY

Hello everybody.

Things are going well. Skin looks great, I've been sleeping well, not hungry between meals. Workouts are still suffering but I know that will pass! The first four days were rough, but I think I'm over the headaches and stomach issues because my pre-Whole30 didn't contain much regular grains, dairy and I don't touch soy. I never ate cereal or bagels for breakfast and I'm not a huge fan of bread or pasta since I've educated myself on all this stuff when I was introduced to CrossFit and Paleo. I don't even keep milk in my house! My huge issue has always been too frequent "treats" like ice cream, burgers, pizza, beer, etc. I can say no to a bowl of chips but if you put a chocolate chip cookie in front of me I am powerless. If I get nothing else out of this experience, I want to no longer feel like I 'need' these foods, or at least not always give in without thinking about it.

Last night I wanted to quit. I went too long without eating and around 8:30 after swimming lessons I was really hungry. I just wanted to get a pizza. But! I feel great and I'm happy with the way things are going so I should be grateful. I am going to finish the thirty days like a rockstar, its just that its lost its shiny newness for now.

In other news, my boss noticed my slight slimming down and my skin improvement and she asked about what I was doing and that was very encouraging! I told her all about my energy levels, how I get tired at night, fall asleep naturally and bounce out of bed, and she said she wanted to try, so I went out and bought her a copy of It Starts With Food. I think she will love it, as she lives a 'healthy' lifestyle but has had some diet related malnutrition issues in the past few years! I hope she really embraces it and we can work through it together!

I am starting to feel good again about my body, which is great. I'm a weird case in which I was always overweight, but I swam and played water polo in high school (and water polo in college), and I never in my life had body image issues until my early twenties. So despite my size, I was always kickass and confident through middle school and high school, but after gaining some weight my senior year of college after a breakup, then losing those 20 pounds drastically through calorie restriction and obsessive exercise, my relationship with my body has never been the same. I haven't stepped on the scale or even measured myself, but telling that my clothes already fit better is enough for me. I know weight loss is not the goal of this program necessarily, but it is a goal of mine and I know that I'm on my way. And that makes me happy happy happy,

I'm not going to post my food for the past few days (unless someone really wants to see it), just take my word for it that I was compliant! I hope those who started with me are having good experiences thus far, and good luck. Til next time.

Ah I just typed a big post but I hit back on my browse on accident, darnit.

I'll just recap today's meals:

M1: larabar :unsure:

M2: grilled chicken breast, steamed broccoli, carrots and sweet potato

M3: bison steak with sautéed mushrooms and onions, enormous salad with baby greens, spinach, tomato, cucumber and avocado

I ate way too much for dinner but it was just too good!! I'd better wake up early to prepare my meals bc tomorrow is my busy day!!

18 days to go, but I might go into October and make it a whole40

Today and yesterday sucked. I still wanted SUGAR and I even had a dream last night about wanting something and not being able to have it. I don't remember what it was or if I gave in or not...

I should've never tried Larabars because they are so good, and I treat them the way I treat my old addictions. I had one yesterday and two today. Luckily I left the rest at work so I won't sneak another one until I go back on Tuesday. I just need to be more careful. I can picture myself putting back a whole box if I had the chance.

Today's meals:
M1: chicken sausage with sweet potato, gala apple
M2: Baby green and spinach salad with turkey, cucumbers and cherry tomoatoes. Handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts) and a Larabar
M3: Haven't had it yet but I thawed a steak that I will share with Kevin when he gets home from work. Probably with some broccoli and green beans

I did not exercise today but I supervised swimming lessons, taught two of my own, ran around crazy making coffee at work and cleaned for six hours. So that might count :)

Does anyone else feel like their cravings aren't really going away, or am I the only one? I have good days and bad days. Someone suggested (it was either Michele or GFgirl) peppermint tea, and I had some at work and it did help. I will buy some when I go to the store tomorrow.

Any favorite meal suggestions that I should try? Thanks for reading.

Archived