Postpartum + BF'ing, Mom of 2's Second Attempt at Whole30

yummymumma

Background: I've been yo-yo dieting for years, bouncing back and forth in the same range (within 10-20 pounds), trying every nutritional/dietary approach in the book from raw vegan to low-carb/Atkins. Nothing ever "stuck", and it always ended with a major binge. I grew up medicated for ADD with stimulants that kept my appetite null, so I was always thin, though I ate junk- lunch at school in HS would be a Cosmic brownie and a skim milk, after-school-snack a Celeste pizza or Hot Pocket, etc. My mom always cooked dinner but there was ALWAYS milk and carbs- pasta, garlic bread, potatoes, rice, dessert. I got to an all-time high of 160 (at 5'6) and then used Adderall and crazy amounts of cardio (gym 2x daily) to get down to 140 a month later, which lasted a month or two before I binged my way back to 160 again (this is a few years ago.) I then settled at about 155 (still heavy) for a couple years. 

When I got pg last summer, I was so scared to gain tons of weight and be BIG. I changed how I ate, cutting out dairy, wheat, and sugar, eating TONS of fruit, nuts, tempeh, quinoa, tofu, some meat. I felt great- only gained 15lbs the whole pg and lost fat. However, when I hit 40 wks I was DONE- enter Haagen Daz and Carmello. I've been trying to get on/stay on the wagon since. I lost the 15 lbs by 2 wks pp but haven't been able to lose more- it's almost 3 months pp now. Trying to do this sustainably- it was SO EASY when I was pg, but I find myself much hungrier now since I am bf'ing.

I am trying to get to a place where I can limit carbs -- and am trying to be careful about calories. Weight loss is a priority- but so is maintaining supply. Trying not to overdo nuts, either.

Day One Log

Breakfast: Two raw carrots (sliced) with dip: 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp vegan chocolate protein powder, 1 tbsp coconut flour, water

Lunch: 3 eggs scrambled w/ one whole zucchini, lots of spinach, and garlic topped with nutritional yeast; sweet potato

Snack: 1/2 apple, "Cashew Cookie" LARA bar, handful trail mix (walnuts, goji berries, apricots)

Dinner: nion/garlic/pepper/mushroom stirfry w/ two chicken sausages, topped with nutritional yeast

Day Two Log

B: Two carrots, sliced up, + two celery ribs, sliced up, dipped in: 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 1/2 scoop vegan protein, water; handful walnuts, apricots, and goji berries

Late lunch: Half apple, sliced and topped w/ 2 tbsp almond butter, plus 2 tbsp sliced raw almonds and 1 tbsp goji berries; Smoothie (2" chunk of frozen nanner, handful frozen org. berries, two big handfuls spinach, almond milk)

Snack: Walnuts + apricots

Dinner: Sauteed ground beef + kale cooked in homemade beef broth topped with nutritional yeast; sweet potato

Day Three Meal Plan

B: 4 ribs celery filled w/ 2 tbsp almond butter and topped with goji berries and sliced almonds; protein shake (scoop of vegan protein powder + almond/coconut milk)

L: Dry tuna on lots of chopped celery topped with walnuts and some raisins

S: Carrot sticks, 2 hard-boiled pastured eggs

D: Cabbage soup (cabbage + homemade beef broth) topped w/ nutritional yeast

It slightly worries me that you're so focused on losing weight when you're BF-ing - you need to be eating to sustain your own body plus provide enough nutrition for your bub.

Restricting calories is not the way to lose weight, it'll cause your body to go in to starvation mode. You aren't eating enough to sustain yourself let alone your breast feeding. That you're hungry shows that you aren't eating enough - your body is crying out for food.

The whole 30 is not a diet, or weight loss plan, there is no calorie counting, measuring, or restricting! It is extremely freeing to not do these things. The whole 30 is also not a low carb program - you need carbs! You get plenty of carbs from vegies, starchy ones are encouraged!

Do you have a copy of the meal template and shopping list?

All of your meals should be protein, fats and vegies - 1-2 palms of protein, the rest of the plate vegies then your fat servings.

Many of your meals are low in all 3 of these elements. Protein powders aren't compliant, we're encouraged to eat real food instead!

As you're BFing, I'd aim for 4-5 proper meals a day - your body needs the fuel. Try to replace the fruit/nuts/larabars with protein, fats and vegies.

Please don't be afraid of food, or fat - you need both for good health, and for fat loss! Let go of your ideas about food and measuring/calories and weight loss for the 30 days - think about filling your body with delicious wholesome, real food that will get you healthy, provide your bub with lots of nutrition and make you feel energetic and well. You never know, weight loss may be a huge bonus like it is for many people :)

Yummymumma,

I'm a BFing mama, too, and my food log for the last couple of months averages about 2500 calories a day. You aren't eating enough if you are hungry!

If you eat for nutrition and to fuel your body, your body will naturally stabilize at a healthy weight. If you are not eating enough, or not eating enough of the right things, your body will do everything it can to get what it needs-through hunger, cravings, hanging onto fat, etc.

Don't worry too much about the carbs right now-you need them to maintain your milk supply. I aim for about 175 grams of carbs per day, and that seems okay for me, but I am pretty tall, too.

Here's a sample of what I might have in a day:

Turkey burger and kale sautéed in butter, raspberries

Bison steak, sweet potato, green beans

Baked chicken, broccoli with butter, grilled onions

Snacks: macadamia nuts or almonds, pumpkin seeds, Lara bar, strawberries, banana, or carrot, etc.

I lost 10 pounds in July, and did the Whole30 in August, and lost 3 more pounds. My body seems not to be losing right now, but I think it is doing some housekeeping and healing some other issues that are higher priority than weight loss right now. And that may happen with you, too. Be patient. If you eat for nutrition, your weight will be perfect. :)

Thanks guys! I was anticipating this kind of response with the calories/carbs thing. When I was doing my first Whole30 (I got to day 15, I think) I wasn't losing, and I was eating plenty (too much?) fats. Coconut butter and coconut oil off the spoon, avocado galore, etc. Also tons of sweet potatoes.

I think I need to find balance here  :)  A lot of it is also $$ related. I can't afford to feed myself meat 3x daily, at least good-quality meat. I aim for 1x daily, plus eggs 1x daily. I did get some good pastured beef bones/made beef stock, which I'm psyched about. 

Casswoman, we can have butter?!

Thanks guys! I was anticipating this kind of response with the calories/carbs thing. When I was doing my first Whole30 (I got to day 15, I think) I wasn't losing, and I was eating plenty (too much?) fats. Coconut butter and coconut oil off the spoon, avocado galore, etc. Also tons of sweet potatoes.

I think I need to find balance here :) A lot of it is also $$ related. I can't afford to feed myself meat 3x daily, at least good-quality meat. I aim for 1x daily, plus eggs 1x daily. I did get some good pastured beef bones/made beef stock, which I'm psyched about.

Clarified butter or ghee is ok, not normal butter :)

Perhaps balance is needed with the fat/carbs too - going so low won't help, nor will overdoing it!

Following the template, not adding extra snacks, and you should get an appropriate amount of fat.

You will need to include meat or eggs at all your meals to get your protein in - could you also add tinned fish? It may be a cheaper option. You don't have to buy grass fed/ organic meat - buy what you can afford! If you can't get the better quality meat, go for leaner cuts and avoid the fat.

Clarified butter or ghee is ok, not normal butter :)

Perhaps balance is needed with the fat/carbs too - going so low won't help, nor will overdoing it!

Following the template, not adding extra snacks, and you should get an appropriate amount of fat.

You will need to include meat or eggs at all your meals to get your protein in - could you also add tinned fish? It may be a cheaper option. You don't have to buy grass fed/ organic meat - buy what you can afford! If you can't get the better quality meat, go for leaner cuts and avoid the fat.

I'm really not into conventionally-raised meat. Eggs I can afford good quality, then for dinners for the week, I usually buy one whole organic pastured chicken that I stretch to two meals, two packages organic ground beef, and one other kind of meat ... turkey for meatballs, chicken thighs or drums, etc. 

But for lunches, it pretty much has to be eggs, and I would hve a hard time eating eggs 2x daily, esp. at breakfast ... I'll have to think on that.

When I was doing my first Whole30 (I got to day 15, I think) I wasn't losing, and I was eating plenty (too much?) fats. Coconut butter and coconut oil off the spoon, avocado galore, etc. Also tons of sweet potatoes.

I tend to eat on the high side of fat and protein, yet I still manage to lose weight on every W30. 

Please look at the guidelines again.  If you were eating similarly the first time, you probably didn't lose weight because you aren't really doing a W30.  You are doing some hybrid program of your own design.

Lara bars are not cheap, nor is a high-quality protein powder.  Instead of buying those, can you spend that money on meat?  And why are you eating dry tuna and dry hard-boiled eggs?  It only costs pennies to make your own mayo and you would feel much fuller with some fat added to those meals/snacks.

Are you making your own almond milk?  I don't know of anyone on this program who has ever found a commercially prepared compliant one.  With all that almond milk, almond butter, trail mix, walnuts, etc. you are consuming way too many nuts and probably throwing your Omega ratios way off.  You are eating nuts at almost every meal, and they aren't cheap either.

Snacks should be a mini-meal of protein, fat, and carbs, not a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts.

Not trying to beat you up, but in your zeal to achieve your weight loss goals and maintain a budget, you are sabotaging yourself.  And in the end, you won't have gotten the results you desire and you'll walk away saying this program doesn't work for you either, without ever having actually done the program.  It's one of those things:  you have to do it all-in or you won't get what you're looking for out of it.

I tend to eat on the high side of fat and protein, yet I still manage to lose weight on every W30. 

Please look at the guidelines again.  If you were eating similarly the first time, you probably didn't lose weight because you aren't really doing a W30.  You are doing some hybrid program of your own design.

Lara bars are not cheap, nor is a high-quality protein powder.  Instead of buying those, can you spend that money on meat?  And why are you eating dry tuna and dry hard-boiled eggs?  It only costs pennies to make your own mayo and you would feel much fuller with some fat added to those meals/snacks.

Are you making your own almond milk?  I don't know of anyone on this program who has ever found a commercially prepared compliant one.  With all that almond milk, almond butter, trail mix, walnuts, etc. you are consuming way too many nuts and probably throwing your Omega ratios way off.  You are eating nuts at almost every meal, and they aren't cheap either.

Snacks should be a mini-meal of protein, fat, and carbs, not a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts.

Not trying to beat you up, but in your zeal to achieve your weight loss goals and maintain a budget, you are sabotaging yourself.  And in the end, you won't have gotten the results you desire and you'll walk away saying this program doesn't work for you either, without ever having actually done the program.  It's one of those things:  you have to do it all-in or you won't get what you're looking for out of it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm only "using up" the last of the protein powder I've had for some time. The LARA bar was a quick fix while food shopping at Trader Joe's.

I do not really enjoy eating meat or eggs for breakfast-- in fact, eggs aren't super enjoyable to me at all, ESP. hardboiled. I have to scramble them w/ veggies and top w/ nutritional yeast + hot sauce to get 'em down.

I will have to do some experimenting w/ my meal plan (I plan for our family of 3 before food shopping) and try to do better next week. I definitely see your point!! I want to do this "right" to achieve optimal health benefits.

My question re: fats is this: my understanding is, if you're taking in a considerable amount of dietary fat while bf'ing, your body doesn't have to take it from... well, your body! I gained 40lbs last pg and lost 50 within 6 months on a low fat, low carb diet. My body sucked the fat right off- I looked and felt great! I feel like eating a lot of dietary fat (coconut oil, avocado, etc, sort of "added" fats) prevents fat-loss while bf'ing. Whattaya think?

Yesterday's (Day 3) Log

B: Protein shake (1/2 scoop vegan protein, coconut milk); 4 ribs celery w/ almond butter, topped w/ sliced almonds + goji berries

S: 1/2 banana, handful walnuts

L:  3 eggs scrambled w/ one zucchini, one pepper, one small onion, a couple garlic cloves, a tsp coconut oil, topped w/ nutritional yeast

S: 1/2 pan Paleo "muffin-bread" (so, it contained 2 eggs, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 zucchini, 1 small ripe banana, a dropper or so of vanilla Stevia, 1/4 cup coconut flour)

D: 1 Peach while cooking; Cabbage soup (made with home-made beef bone broth) topped with sauteed grassfed beef and onions

Low carb and low fat sounds like a recipe for disaster - you likely went in to starvation mode, and could have potentially done some damage as you weren't giving your body enough nutrients to sustain itself. You may have lost weight, but you've probably made your body want to hold on to every last minute thing you put in to it in fear that its going to go through another "famine".

By eating well, and eating regularly, you'll get your body "working" again - this may take time, you may put on weight initially. Your body will start to recognise that it's being fed, and you're looking after it, and your metabolism will start to work properly!

Protein powders, sweeteners, and paleofied treats aren't compliant with the whole 30...

Your dinner and lunch was pretty good, although lunch could have done with more fat. Snacks should be a mini meal of protein/vegie/fat not fruit and nuts!

Hey mama, hang in there and above all else please feed that body! If it helps the greatest "weight loss" while bf is between months 4-6. I am at month 7 and am finally looking more like myself. This is my second babe and I know that my body holds a generous layer of fat on it while bf bc if I can't get food, at least my body will have the means to support my boy. If I eat clean and healthy, when I finish it just goes away.

Fuel your body!!! Bf is exhausting! Not sleeping is crazy! The hormones are nutso!

Your body is not just yours right now and it knows that so it will make some choices that you can't really control. Breathe, get strong, take moments for yourself, sleep when you can and please eat when you are hungry!

I would guess I eat easily 4,000 a day. Not saying that's right, but it is what works for me and my little one.

You will have your body be just yours again one day. Try to be patient...and best of luck from a fellow bf!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!!! I am trying to let go of the weight-worry here   :)  I am going to continue on without stopping for momentum instead of resetting-- but may do a Whole30. I will cut out those items after today and try to do less nuts.

Today:

B: Berry smoothie (big handful org frozen berries, coconut milk, spinach, 2 tbsp almond butter)

S: 3/4 pan paleo muffin-bread (so 3 eggs, 3/4 tbsp coco oil, 3/4 banana, 3/4 tbsp applesauce, almost 1/2 c coco flour, few drops stevia)

L:  4 or 5 oz grassfed lean ground beef + spinach + 2 eggs + 1 tsp coco oil; bowl leftover cabbage soup from bone broth; peach

D: will be 1-2 chicken sausage links plus veggie medley (summer squash, green beans, spinach, garlic, onion)

Have you got a copy of the meal template? Sticking to it really helps you get through a whole 30, and gives you the best opportunity to get the benefits mentioned!

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Your breakfast had no protein or enough vegies - smoothies are discouraged for a couple of reasons. Eating and chewing your food is important - you will be less satiated from drinking your food. You also get a bigger insulin response from smoothies than you would if you were to eat the food.

Trying to sit down to a proper meal of protein, fats and vegies is a much better option!

The butter came back into my diet post-Whole30. :) Use coconut oil or ghee or even olive oil during the Whole30.

When I was getting out of the hospital after having my baby, they said for me to eat 2800 calories a day, and NO LESS THAN 2000 calories a day for nursing. Now, I'm 5'10", so you may need to adjust this for your size, but I have been good about getting that minimum, and average 2500-2800 calories a day, and I'm still losing weight slowly. I've been tracking calories, and percentage of calories from fat, carbs, and protein using a smartphone app called "Lose It". Any other weight/diet tracking app or website should be able to do the same, and it has really helped me keep track of just what I'm eating, where I need to improve, etc.

You can do this!

Have you got a copy of the meal template? Sticking to it really helps you get through a whole 30, and gives you the best opportunity to get the benefits mentioned!

Your breakfast had no protein or enough vegies - smoothies are discouraged for a couple of reasons. Eating and chewing your food is important - you will be less satiated from drinking your food. You also get a bigger insulin response from smoothies than you would if you were to eat the food.

Trying to sit down to a proper meal of protein, fats and vegies is a much better option!

2 tbsp of almond butter is either 7 or 8 g protein.

Thanks for the info on smoothies. When I was pg, I did a big green smoothie every day, with greens, peanut butter, raw cacao, protein powder, and almond or coconut milk. It worked wonders to keep me full til lunch and seemed to satiate me as well. 

I am not a big breakfast person -- nuts, fruit, and smoothies seem to be the only things I want to eat in the morning. I figure I could do a gatherer type breakfast and a hunter-type rest of the day, and probably be okay? No?

Thanks for the link-- super helpful  :)  Going to sit down and do some meal-planning tmrw for shopping Sunday/Monday.

I did include a lot more eggs/meat today, and less nuts- definitely like how it feels  :)

Thanks for the info on smoothies. When I was pg, I did a big green smoothie every day, with greens, peanut butter, raw cacao, protein powder, and almond or coconut milk. It worked wonders to keep me full til lunch and seemed to satiate me as well.

I am not a big breakfast person -- nuts, fruit, and smoothies seem to be the only things I want to eat in the morning. I figure I could do a gatherer type breakfast and a hunter-type rest of the day, and probably be okay? No?

Thanks for the link-- super helpful :) Going to sit down and do some meal-planning tmrw for shopping Sunday/Monday.

I did include a lot more eggs/meat today, and less nuts- definitely like how it feels :)

The smoothie you mentioned in this post was fruitless, with lots of fat. It also had protein. The fat and protein may have enabled you to get to lunch. But, they are discouraged during your whole 30 as eating the food is suggested to be a better option. Nuts/ fruit and smoothies aren't an ok breakfast during your whole 30 as they don't fit the template. Try going without for 30 days and then you can decide to add them back in if you wish!

You said you feel good incorporating more meat and eggs and less nuts? Add the meat or eggs in to your breakfast too! Don't think of it as breakfast - consider it meal 1. You can have leftovers from dinner or make double the amount in the morning and have it for lunch!

The smoothie you mentioned in this post was fruitless, with lots of fat. It also had protein. The fat and protein may have enabled you to get to lunch. But, they are discouraged during your whole 30 as eating the food is suggested to be a better option. Nuts/ fruit and smoothies aren't an ok breakfast during your whole 30 as they don't fit the template. Try going without for 30 days and then you can decide to add them back in if you wish!

You said you feel good incorporating more meat and eggs and less nuts? Add the meat or eggs in to your breakfast too! Don't think of it as breakfast - consider it meal 1. You can have leftovers from dinner or make double the amount in the morning and have it for lunch!

Thanks for this -- I am going to try this beginning tomorrow. I had the same smoothie for breakfast today because we didn't have much in the house and I needed something quick-- two kids needed me and a pounding headache (from sugar withdrawal I think). Smoothies have also been good since you can drink on the go -- its sometimes difficult to sit and eat in morning.

For real food that's "grab and go", try making egg muffins or frittata. 3 eggs per serve (or 2 plus some meat), loads of vegies, use coconut milk in the beaten egg mix and bake til set!

You could make individual muffins, or bake in a tray - you can make a weeks worth and freeze portions for later in the week. They defrost fine!

For real food that's "grab and go", try making egg muffins or frittata. 3 eggs per serve (or 2 plus some meat), loads of vegies, use coconut milk in the beaten egg mix and bake til set!

You could make individual muffins, or bake in a tray - you can make a weeks worth and freeze portions for later in the week. They defrost fine!

Thanks for this. I wish I enjoyed eggs- I can deal with them, but I don't like them. I really enjoy morning smoothies/nuts/fruit  :(

Today was less than ideal -- headache since yesterday, baby having a growth spurt so little sleep, cranky older kiddo. But I got through it. Going to try to stock up on more choices tomorrow.

Today (Day 5):

B: 4 dried unsulphured apricots, handful org raw walnuts; smoothie (big handful org frozen mixed berries, 2 tbsp almond butter, coconut milk, spinach) + 1 rib celery

S: peach, 1 tbsp almond butter

L: 2 chicken drums + 1 ... 1/2 ribcage? Idk what you call that peice- but it was white meat  :)  plus 1 sweet potato and a tsp coconut oil

S: handful walnuts + raisins + goji berries

D: from Chipotle- barbacoa salad bowl + onions and peppers + mild salsa + guac

For snacks, you want them to be a mini meal, including a protein and fat.  Nuts/nut butters are considered a fat on the Whole30. Try incorporating your fruit into or immediately after your meals instead.

Also, according to Chipotle's website, the barbacoa contains rice bran oil, which would unfortunately make it non-compliant on a Whole30.

Girl, Please eat more! Especially veggies. Make your plate overflow with the life giving veggies! You are making milk-that's no joke! You need the

Good stuff in a major way! Roast up a ton of veggies and sweet potatoes so they are ready when you are. Get some greens and make a dressing.now all of that is waiting for you in the fridge. You've got fast food! I also always have avocados, olives, and coconut everything available to put on my meals.

Seriously though, you need to eat more.

At least in my ravenously hungry breastfeeding ma's opinion.

ðŸ‘

For snacks, you want them to be a mini meal, including a protein and fat.  Nuts/nut butters are considered a fat on the Whole30. Try incorporating your fruit into or immediately after your meals instead.

Also, according to Chipotle's website, the barbacoa contains rice bran oil, which would unfortunately make it non-compliant on a Whole30.

Are you kidding?! I saw the meal suggestion on this forum! Damn!

Girl, Please eat more! Especially veggies. Make your plate overflow with the life giving veggies! You are making milk-that's no joke! You need the

Good stuff in a major way! Roast up a ton of veggies and sweet potatoes so they are ready when you are. Get some greens and make a dressing.now all of that is waiting for you in the fridge. You've got fast food! I also always have avocados, olives, and coconut everything available to put on my meals.

Seriously though, you need to eat more.

At least in my ravenously hungry breastfeeding ma's opinion.

I love veggies!! I normally eat a lot more of 'em-- I just didn't have much in the fridge the past couple days and it's difficult to get to the farm to get more. I'm going today  :)  I normally get a big bag of org sweet 'taters from TJ's, roast them, and eat them cold when I'm hungry. We did get some avocado.

I saw some meal ideas yesterday that I liked ... stew with chopped roasted cashews on top sounded soooo good. Think I will do beef stew this week ... what's the Whole30 stance on goat as far as the hierarchy of 'better' meat?

Archived