Postpartum + BF'ing, Mom of 2's Second Attempt at Whole30

yummymumma

Grrrr. Darn it, Chipotle!

So, I'm having this reoccurring question today, as I go through my busy Sunday -- bringing older one to her activities, church; nursing and comforting younger one, constantly. 

If eating nuts/fruit as snacks (or breakfast) is working for me (health-wise, taste-wise, and lifestyle-wise) why change it? It's Paleo. It's even Whole30-approved (no sweeteners, etc.) Maybe my body's ideal is different from someone else's?

I did try out meat with my breakfast today, and though it seemed very heavy at first, I felt fine within an hour or so. But my two snacks (that's what they are to me, really, not 'meals') were fruit/nut. I know this is more 'gatherer' than 'hunter', but if I feel good, what's wrong with it?? Not to mention-- my goals of Whole30 are 1. improved energy 2. maintaining milk supply 3. weight loss 4. escaping 'food demons'. If I'm achieving those, why can't I do it 'my way'?

Not trying to buck the system, but truly curious.

Anyways, today I had too many nuts for ideal Omega 3/6 ratio. But it was the best I could do for today! I got lots of good meat for this week-- whole chicken, beef-- and lots of veggies. Will be making chicken soup, more beef broth, etc.

Day Six

B: One strip steak-tip (probably 1.5 palm sizes) + small handful walnuts + berry smoothie (mixed org berries, 4-5 celery stalks, leftover tea)

S: One apple, handful walnuts.

L: 3 whole eggs sauteed in 1 tsp coconut oil and topped with nutritional yeast/hot sauce + 1 tomato + large handful baby carrots + 1 tsp coconut oil

S: One apple, one tbsp almond butter, one tbsp cashew peices

D (will be): One strip steak-tip (again, probably 1.5 palm sizes) + green beans sauteed in coconut oil and minced garlic + one sweet potato with coconut oil on top + lettuce and tomato

Grrrr. Darn it, Chipotle!

So, I'm having this reoccurring question today, as I go through my busy Sunday -- bringing older one to her activities, church; nursing and comforting younger one, constantly. 

If eating nuts/fruit as snacks (or breakfast) is working for me (health-wise, taste-wise, and lifestyle-wise) why change it? It's Paleo. It's even Whole30-approved (no sweeteners, etc.) Maybe my body's ideal is different from someone else's?

I did try out meat with my breakfast today, and though it seemed very heavy at first, I felt fine within an hour or so. But my two snacks (that's what they are to me, really, not 'meals') were fruit/nut. I know this is more 'gatherer' than 'hunter', but if I feel good, what's wrong with it?? Not to mention-- my goals of Whole30 are 1. improved energy 2. maintaining milk supply 3. weight loss 4. escaping 'food demons'. If I'm achieving those, why can't I do it 'my way'?

Not trying to buck the system, but truly curious.

Anyways, today I had too many nuts for ideal Omega 3/6 ratio. But it was the best I could do for today! I got lots of good meat for this week-- whole chicken, beef-- and lots of veggies. Will be making chicken soup, more beef broth, etc.

Day Six

B: One strip steak-tip (probably 1.5 palm sizes) + small handful walnuts + berry smoothie (mixed org berries, 4-5 celery stalks, leftover tea)

S: One apple, handful walnuts.

L: 3 whole eggs sauteed in 1 tsp coconut oil and topped with nutritional yeast/hot sauce + 1 tomato + large handful baby carrots + 1 tsp coconut oil

S: One apple, one tbsp almond butter, one tbsp cashew peices

D (will be): One strip steak-tip (again, probably 1.5 palm sizes) + green beans sauteed in coconut oil and minced garlic + one sweet potato with coconut oil on top + lettuce and tomato

The way I read your post, it looks like a contradiction.  One the one hand, you say fruit and nuts are working for you as a snack, and on the other hand, you say you had too many nuts today.  :) 

Nuts are to be used in moderation on a Whole30. Nuts and/or fruit can be food-without-breaks for many folks.  

This is part of the reason why the recommended Whole30 snack is a mini meal including a protein and fat. 

Also, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  They want you to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating than drinking.

Give following the template/recommendations a try for the next week and see how you do.

The way I read your post, it looks like a contradiction.  One the one hand, you say fruit and nuts are working for you as a snack, and on the other hand, you say you had too many nuts today.  :) 

Nuts are to be used in moderation on a Whole30. Nuts and/or fruit can be food-without-breaks for many folks.  

This is part of the reason why the recommended Whole30 snack is a mini meal including a protein and fat. 

Also, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  They want you to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating than drinking.

Give following the template/recommendations a try for the next week and see how you do.

Too many nuts today, since they were present at 1 meal + two snacks.  :)

Thanks, Chris. 

Day Seven --

Upon Rising: tbsp of almond butter

Late Breakfast: 2 peach slices; 3 whole eggs scrambled in coconut oil w/ 2 small zucchini, topped with nutritional yeast and cashew peices

Lunch: 2 peach slices; steak tips on lettuce with one whole bell pepper sauteed in coconut oil, plus one heirloom tomato, 1/2 a large cucumber, red onion, 1/3 avocado, and nutritional yeast

Snack: grapefruit, handful cashew peices

Dinner: Chicken/Kale soup (lots of chicken and kale, plus onions and carrots, from homemade stock)

Snack: handful cashew/walnut peices, 1 tbsp almond butter, 2 dried apricots 

You say you want to do a whole 30, and experience certain benefits, but you aren't prepared to actually change your habits and stick to the program. This puzzles me - you may be benefiting from what you're doing as it is an improvement to how you were eating before but how do you know that you won't get more benefit from actually trying to follow the program?

Cut out the smoothies, cut out the fruit/nut snacks, eat 4-5 template meals a day to enable you to sustain you and your BFing, include pre/postWO meals that fit the template if you exercise and give the whole 30 a chance!

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, the forum wouldn't let me reply last week.

I am off my Whole30. I was quite honestly tired of being told to eat in a way that felt wrong for my body- it felt very "diet-y" for this former dieter.

I've also realized I'm uncomfortable eating that much meat- or, meat in general- mainly from an ethical perspective, but also realizing I felt VERY heavy eating so much meat. Not to mention, eggs, which I don't enjoy, make me super gassy.

I'm now researching a vegan Whole30 or similar program- cutting out sugar, wheat, etc., as well as fruit. Not sure about legumes yet.

Thanks for the support.

Archived