Whole30 compliant B12?

Diannah

I also take a sublingual B12, I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it has sugar in it. I am down to 3 times a week. I was severely B12 deficient and had to have shots at one point. But with healing my gut and taking HCL (which helps to digest B12) I don't need to take it that often.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi, I'm pretty much vegan & planning to do a Whole30 that way & tend to take a B12 for that reason as a matter of course. I'd already looked up the ingredients in the one I normally take & it has mannitol which I've already seen is not Whole30 compliant. Is sucanat seen as better than mannitol in terms of both not being acceptable but one being seen as a better rule breaker? Thank you.

• Moderators
On 6/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, louisephoenix13 said:

Hi, I'm pretty much vegan & planning to do a Whole30 that way & tend to take a B12 for that reason as a matter of course. I'd already looked up the ingredients in the one I normally take & it has mannitol which I've already seen is not Whole30 compliant. Is sucanat seen as better than mannitol in terms of both not being acceptable but one being seen as a better rule breaker? Thank you.

We don't give recommendations on which is better or worse for rule breaking as mentioned in your other post.  It's up to you to decide, but again, as mentioned in reply to your previous post, many people just forgo vitamins for the 30 days.

GFChris (another moderator commenting earlier on this thread) specifically states that there is sucanat in the Moss Nutrition one & being specific about that suggests that there is definitely a line that some kinds of sweetener are considered preferable - otherwise why identify that specific substance? My other question elsewhere was about whether a higher dose weekly or a lower dose daily might be preferable during the Vegan (understood this is already seen as 'compromised') reset.

The point of coming onto a forum is to try to receive guidance on things which do not seem to be covered elsewhere online or in the many related books while taking care of my health because for me there really is no ethical way to eat animals or animal products & the arguments against this in the Whole30 books are utterly unconvincing.

GFChris is honest about being someone who takes B12 in spite of being a moderator & is positive about that as a choice for health.

Whole30 has many recommendations about which are better rules to break e.g. no soy but if you are doing vegan then tempeh, natto & possibly edamame. Grains are out but quinoa & pseudo grains are seen as viable in a vegan diet. It's odd to read you saying that you don't give such recommendations.

• Moderators

The context of what GFChris was saying was the one that she takes but that it has a sweetner in it so it's not compliant.  The fact that a moderator takes a vitamin has no bearing on the program as Chris was likely not on a Whole30 at the time of writing it. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, louisephoenix13 said:

Diannah who started this thread was most definitely doing a Whole30 & was asking for advice on what to take in that context. Chris gave a recommendation of what she takes. Is there any chance that Chris could respond please?

She has not been online for over a month.  Chris said to the participant that doctor's orders trump Whole30 and that the item that she was taking was X and it had Y sweetener in it... which given the doctor's orders would be fine for the original poster's whole30 given the 'doctor's orders trump Whole30'.  If your doctor has told you to take B12, then you also can take whatever you want, or you can decide for yourself if the B12 is something you can give up for 30 days given the high level of nutrition that you'll be getting on the program.

I am asking about a vegan reset - since I'm not allowed to call it Whole30 - which means I will probably not be consuming any B12. I am trying to take responsibility for my own health but vegans are advised to routinely take B12 - it is the only thing a vegan diet does not provide unless it is in fortified foods, most of which are likely to contain other non-complaint ingredients. Repeating the comment about the 'high level of nutrition that you'll be getting on the program' doesn't seem to indicate that you have understood why I am asking.

In trying to answer my own question elsewhere, on a vegetarian thread I found a post from you to someone else saying that vegans were unlikely to get many responses, I can see why. I think some vegan awareness is really needed on here. That is not directed at you personally, it's in response to the books I bought too.

Archived