Why is snacking discouraged?

NikiH83

First, you can always eat fattier cuts of meat (if you have access to goo source)/fattier fish so you won't have to worry about adding lots. If not, here is what you can do.

Olives - you don't have to eat them whole if the taste is too strong. Option1. Try different types, there are so many. Sundries Moroccan are chewy and a bit strong, nicoise are tiny sweet olives, Greek Kalamata fire-roasted ones are amazingly smoky and yummy. Option2. Hide them! I find that chopped olives go well in meatballs or chicken (add preserved lemons for Maroccan flavor). Option3. Don't eat them if you still think they are meh.

Olive oil - you can always make pesto (pistou) and keep it in the jar. Endless possibilities. Evoo+garlic+herb of choice (arugula, parsley, basil, kale, mint etc)+nuts if you wish. Arugula walnut? Mint pesto and lamb? Basil pesto chicken roll? Yes, pleasee. Chimichurri is another type of sauce to make. Traditionally it is used for grilled meat in Argentina. Parsley, oregano, red/white vinegar, garlic and olive oil. Add any spices to your liking.

Coconut milk - aside from curries you can make "raita" or Tzatziki from it. Steph from Easy Stupid Paleo has great recipe. Mint, lemon, cucumbers and cumin. Add it to soup to make it creamy and smooth.

Nuts - again, make a giant batch of a sauce and keep refrigirated. Sunshine sauce (Melissa from theclothesmakesthegirl) or Romesco sauce (tomatoes, garlic, peppers, almonds, vinegar, pepper flakes and olive oil) are so good!

Avocado - Make a dressing from it? Guacomole? Classic salsa, mango salsa and so on.

Mayo - main thing is that everything is at room temperature. Look up a fool proof immersion blender recipe out there. Tons of people are swearing by it. I do it by hand using nomnom's recipe. Never failed. Look up the forum, mayo troubleshooting is the most popular topic of all times :)

Ghee - just good on everything. If you feel like playing in the kitchen you can make flavoured jars.

Uff. What else? Lard and duck fat, of course. I add duck fat to pates. You can make mayo from bakon fat too, btw. Amazing.

Have fun!

I buy whole coconuts. Once you get the hang of cracking them open, it's a breeze. First make sure the one you select is sloshing when you shake it (that's the coconut water) and doesn't have any cracks or leaks. Then I usually drill a hole in the husk to remove the water (you can save it, in fact, taste it, if it tastes bad or soapy, the coconut is no good). Then I take it outside or in the garage (any cement surface) wrapped in a dishtowel and whack it with a hammer. It will crack after a few whacks. Then I turn the pieces over and whack them to loosen the meat. There is a brown covering between the meat and the shell. You can peel that with a  peeler, but I don't bother. Once you have fresh coconut, you will never want the processed one again. It will last about a week in the fridge.

Also, if you are having trouble eating that much food, stretch out your meals. There is no reason a meal has to last 30 minutes or an hour. For lunch and dinner, I start eating at noon and may not end until almost two, with fruit at the end. Even if I end at 2, I know it will be 5 hours at least until my next meal, so thats fine.

There is no rule about the duration of the meals, that's right. However, I have to ask - do you sit and eat, and chew, and enjoy your meal for 2 hours straight? If not, it looks like a two hours of snacking to me. You are not helping your digestion or hormones. You are also not giving yourself a chance to develop new habits. I don't mean to be rude and I am sorry if this sounds harsh. 

First, you can always eat fattier cuts of meat (if you have access to goo source)/fattier fish so you won't have to worry about adding lots. If not, here is what you can do.

Olives - you don't have to eat them whole if the taste is too strong. Option1. Try different types, there are so many. Sundries Moroccan are chewy and a bit strong, nicoise are tiny sweet olives, Greek Kalamata fire-roasted ones are amazingly smoky and yummy. Option2. Hide them! I find that chopped olives go well in meatballs or chicken (add preserved lemons for Maroccan flavor). Option3. Don't eat them if you still think they are meh.

Olive oil - you can always make pesto (pistou) and keep it in the jar. Endless possibilities. Evoo+garlic+herb of choice (arugula, parsley, basil, kale, mint etc)+nuts if you wish. Arugula walnut? Mint pesto and lamb? Basil pesto chicken roll? Yes, pleasee. Chimichurri is another type of sauce to make. Traditionally it is used for grilled meat in Argentina. Parsley, oregano, red/white vinegar, garlic and olive oil. Add any spices to your liking.

Coconut milk - aside from curries you can make "raita" or Tzatziki from it. Steph from Easy Stupid Paleo has great recipe. Mint, lemon, cucumbers and cumin. Add it to soup to make it creamy and smooth.

Nuts - again, make a giant batch of a sauce and keep refrigirated. Sunshine sauce (Melissa from theclothesmakesthegirl) or Romesco sauce (tomatoes, garlic, peppers, almonds, vinegar, pepper flakes and olive oil) are so good!

Avocado - Make a dressing from it? Guacomole? Classic salsa, mango salsa and so on.

Mayo - main thing is that everything is at room temperature. Look up a fool proof immersion blender recipe out there. Tons of people are swearing by it. I do it by hand using nomnom's recipe. Never failed. Look up the forum, mayo troubleshooting is the most popular topic of all times :)

Ghee - just good on everything. If you feel like playing in the kitchen you can make flavoured jars.

Uff. What else? Lard and duck fat, of course. I add duck fat to pates. You can make mayo from bakon fat too, btw. Amazing.

Have fun!

Nadia- I never even thought of making Pesto...Yum, would be great with Shrimp! Thanks!

There is no rule about the duration of the meals, that's right. However, I have to ask - do you sit and eat, and chew, and enjoy your meal for 2 hours straight? If not, it looks like a two hours of snacking to me. You are not helping your digestion or hormones. You are also not giving yourself a chance to develop new habits. I don't mean to be rude and I am sorry if this sounds harsh. 

I don't eat constantly for 2 hours :lol: . I just take my time. I may even stop for a minute or two. I came to W30 with a history of stomach issues and was in the hospital last year from it. For awhile I could only eat pureed foods and worked a long time to heal my gut. I was left with somewhat of a shrunken stomach. I know that sounds great, right? No, it's not. I get full very easily, got stomach pains and had to stop eating. But then I'm hungry an hour or two later. So I had to SLOW DOWN and yes, chew and swallow and rest. I did grow up in a European family and sitting for a meal for awhile was normal, so I'm kind of going back to that a bit. I do want to eat full meals so I'm not hungry too soon. I had to adjust to that on my first W30. I do feel a huge change not having to snack between my meals, and like I said, I do leave hours between meals.

Nadia- I never even thought of making Pesto...Yum, would be great with Shrimp! Thanks!

Minus the cheese, of course :) Pesto is amazingly versitale. Dressing, marinade, sauce or coating for the protein to bake. I love making new combos (roast garlic or even add avocado for texture). Yes, try it with shrimps and zoodles/spaghetti squash or make a Thai-shrimp-mango-pesto-curry kinda thing.

I don't eat constantly for 2 hours :lol: . I just take my time. I may even stop for a minute or two. I came to W30 with a history of stomach issues and was in the hospital last year from it. For awhile I could only eat pureed foods and worked a long time to heal my gut. I was left with somewhat of a shrunken stomach. I know that sounds great, right? No, it's not. I get full very easily, got stomach pains and had to stop eating. But then I'm hungry an hour or two later. So I had to SLOW DOWN and yes, chew and swallow and rest. I did grow up in a European family and sitting for a meal for awhile was normal, so I'm kind of going back to that a bit. I do want to eat full meals so I'm not hungry too soon. I had to adjust to that on my first W30. I do feel a huge change not having to snack between my meals, and like I said, I do leave hours between meals.

Bet, I see. Thanks for taking time to explain the situation. I get what you are saying, I have ridiculously compromised digestion myself. I had a protective moment and was making sure that your post won't be taken as a "go ahead pick on food for couple hours". Glad we are clear and good luck with healing   ^_^

P.S Whoa drilling coconut? Brave. I just hack it with big knife to cut the square on top of it. Fresh coconut flesh is a crack indeed  :ph34r:

If you must snack, be super careful with the nuts and fruit! I don't know about you but I can go to town on some cashews or macadamia nuts, or go over board with strawberries or grapes!

That's exactly the reason why protein/fat/carbs snack is ideal. You can't really overeat and even if you do, well, that's a full meal  :D

Holy cow, I've hi-jacked the whole thread  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Have fun!

Nadia, you make mayo BY HAND AND HAVE NEVER FAILED? HOW HAVE YOU ACCOMPLISHED THIS WIZARDRY?!

Lol, Renée, I work out just to make my Dad some mayo by hand. I can't eat eggs still  -_- I guess I just doesn't make it too often, that's the magic trick. 

I am more curious to find out what Niki does wrong that mayo is not turning out great. I mean extra yolk saves it 90% of a time, no? 

Bet, I see. Thanks for taking time to explain the situation. I get what you are saying, I have ridiculously compromised digestion myself. I had a protective moment and was making sure that your post won't be taken as a "go ahead pick on food for couple hours". Glad we are clear and good luck with healing   ^_^

P.S Whoa drilling coconut? Brave. I just hack it with big knife to cut the square on top of it. Fresh coconut flesh is a crack indeed  :ph34r:

No Problem, we are all here sharing ideas. Actually before I had issues with eating too fast. I'm generally an anxious person and I am sure that was part of my problem. I have to do everything FAST. And as soon as I would feel the slightest bit full, I'd stop, or I would get these pains, so eventually I was scared to eat a lot. So sitting an eating a complete meal is an improvement for me. Even my husband commented that I am no longer up and cleaning the kitchen while he's still eating. He used to yell at me all the time to sit down and relax.

I don't think I have a knife sharp enough to cut a coconut.

I have to say, reading this, I think I had a "Eureka!" moment in my head.

I do tend to take my time with eating. And I definitely have a small stomach, which is not necessarily one's friend with this Whole30 thing. 

Have you been able to gradually increase your food amounts during a meal, or do you still need to just stretch out your eating time?

I'm so trying to find a way to deal with not being able to eat much.

It's definitely easier now. It was really rough in the beginning of my first W30. Especially at breakfast. I couldn't eat a full meal according to the template and then I'd be hungry in 2 hours. But I didn't snack and gradually I was able to eat more at each meal (perhaps not snacking made me able to eat more at meals). Sometimes I do still get full and have to stop and then resume.

I also try not to drink too much with meals. Not only does it take up room, it dilutes the digestive juices. I sip just enough to make sure the food washes down (and take any supplements). Of course a glass of wine would help with digestion.....but I digress.

I've never really drank much with meals, so that's not a thing. I struggle with not snacking 'cause I know I'm hungry 'cause I'm hungry, not 'cause I want to just eat. So, do I ignore the hunger, and hope that I can eat more the following day, or do I snack and perpetrate the cycle? I admit, it often depends on what I have on hand. :) If I'm at work, and I have no snack, well, then I just wait. But then that has a tendency to turn into not eating lunch since I'm already ignoring the hunger... ah, bodies, you complicated things, you.

I've never really drank much with meals, so that's not a thing. I struggle with not snacking 'cause I know I'm hungry 'cause I'm hungry, not 'cause I want to just eat. So, do I ignore the hunger, and hope that I can eat more the following day, or do I snack and perpetrate the cycle? I admit, it often depends on what I have on hand. :) If I'm at work, and I have no snack, well, then I just wait. But then that has a tendency to turn into not eating lunch since I'm already ignoring the hunger... ah, bodies, you complicated things, you.

I gave this advice to someone else in another thread and perhaps it will work for you. I think it is similar to what Bet does. Prepare every meal to the lower end of the template and eat what you can make sure you hit everything on your plate (don't just eat the protein and ignore the veggies for example). When you just can't eat anymore put it aside and if you get hungry again before your next meal you already have a proportioned mini meal. Eventually the hormones that control your hunger cues should adjust and hopefully you can finish your 3 template meals at meal times. 

Olives - you don't have to eat them whole if the taste is too strong.

Olive oil - you can always make pesto (pistou) and keep it in the fridge.

Coconut milk - aside from curries you can make "raita" or Tzatziki from it.

Nuts - again, make a giant batch of a sauce and keep refrigirated. Sunshine sauce

Mayo - main thing is that everything is at room temperature. Look up a fool proof immersion blender recipe out there. Tons of people are swearing by it. I

Have fun!

Thanks NADIA this is exactly the expanded idea list I needed! I think I will print it out! AND SORRY TO HAVE TAKEN OVER THE SNACKING POST AND TURNING IT INTO A FAT THREAD.

I forgot about pesto because I used to make it mostly with cheese, but love it! And chimmichurri is a favorite too that I haven't made in a couple weeks.

And I have been needing tzatziki and not knowing how to make it dairy free!

I have made the sunshine sauce a couple times and have not really gotten it perfected yet.

I think the room temperature was the reason my last batch of mayo didn't work. So have to try again.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I have a question about snacking... will snacking in between meals prevent my body from adapting to using stored fat for energy rather than using sugars?  I'm not eating anything with added sugar, but obviously apples, sweet potatoes, etc have sugar in them.  I'd hate my snacking to ruin any benefits I should get from the Whole30!

I have a question about snacking... will snacking in between meals prevent my body from adapting to using stored fat for energy rather than using sugars? I'm not eating anything with added sugar, but obviously apples, sweet potatoes, etc have sugar in them. I'd hate my snacking to ruin any benefits I should get from the Whole30!

I think it depends why you're snacking - are you actually hungry? Or just having something because it's a habit?

If you're actually hungry, you need the food - if you do need to snack it should be a mini meal of protein, fats and vegies instead of fruit. You also need to consider increasing your actual meal portions to allow you to go between meals without the snacks.

If you're eating out of habit you're likely giving your body food it doesn't really need.

for mayo, I use the recipe from Well Fed and it's perfect every time. I tried the immersion blender method and it failed, fixing it failed as well, so I dumped it and went back to Mel's method and it was perfect again.

I also started putting coconut oil in my coffee and whipping it with the immersion blender and it's fantastic. I sautee a couple handfulls of diced zucchini with salt, pepper, and garlic powder in some butter (or ghee), then put it aside on a plate, then add more butter/ghee and crack in 3 eggs, then scramble them with some salsa and put over the zucchini. Between the eggs and the coconut oil in my coffee, I have PLENTY of fat and breakfast lasts me 5 hours. For lunch I have leftovers from dinner the night before which is always some kind of meat and veggies, a curry, stirfry, roasted, stewed, whatever. That also lasts me 5 hours until I get home and cook dinner.

Archived