Do I have to start over?

4everblessed65

Pretty bummed. Been carefully watching what food I eat. Went to Chili's with a friend for lunch. Was specific in what I wanted and how it should be prepared. Got my chicken with pico on the side and plain broccoli. Took the first bite and the chicken was very sweet! Found out that they put a glaze on it that had sugar. Couldn't Ethan the broccoli either because it was sitting in the juice, as well. Only had one (1) bite. I have to start over, right? ARGH!

Pretty bummed. Been carefully watching what food I eat. Went to Chili's with a friend for lunch. Was specific in what I wanted and how it should be prepared. Got my chicken with pico on the side and plain broccoli. Took the first bite and the chicken was very sweet! Found out that they put a glaze on it that had sugar. Couldn't Ethan the broccoli either because it was sitting in the juice, as well. Only had one (1) bite. I have to start over, right? ARGH!

You did your do diligence so I would say no. If you had made a conscience choice to eat sugar that would be another thing. Did you send it back? I would have raised a stink.

Thanks folks!  

I did not send it back - they offered to make another one for me - I gave it to my friend to finish (we were sharing).  The waitress and cook were very kind and extremely apologetic!!!!  I just know that i have to be MUCH more careful.  Silly - i literally teared up, thinking I'd have to start over!  LOLOL

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me today- a coworker made chicken salad, she said she used mustard, olive oil, and eggs so I thought "SWEET!" Turns out, it was exactly that... sweet.  I ate a small one with tomato, (maybe an 1/8 of a cup) and then questioned again. Definitely a small amount of mayo.  Do I need to start over?  Otherwise I have been good, so I really hope not!

The same thing happened to me today- a coworker made chicken salad, she said she used mustard, olive oil, and eggs so I thought "SWEET!" Turns out, it was exactly that... sweet.  I ate a small one with tomato, (maybe an 1/8 of a cup) and then questioned again. Definitely a small amount of mayo.  Do I need to start over?  Otherwise I have been good, so I really hope not!

I would just continue the way you have been going. Like Tom mentioned above, an very small unexpected amount of sugar isn't grounds for a restart.

• 1 month later...

I was on day 7 and was at one of my customers restaurants. The customer does not speak English very well and proudly brought me a tiny dish of lobster bisque his new creation. I wanted to refuse but was worried it could cost me my sale as it's hard to explain to someone not great with English that I could not accept. Looks like I will be starting over:(

I also had some "accidents" when preparing food for my 18 month old daughter. I was on autopilot and tasted her rice to make sure it wasn't too hot and also took a nite of noodle the other day to make sure it was thoroughly cooked. It is amazing how unaware I have been about what I eat.

Now that I'm starting over, can I weigh myself? I can tell my clothes are already fitting better!

I was on day 7 and was at one of my customers restaurants. The customer does not speak English very well and proudly brought me a tiny dish of lobster bisque his new creation. I wanted to refuse but was worried it could cost me my sale as it's hard to explain to someone not great with English that I could not accept. Looks like I will be starting over:(

I also had some "accidents" when preparing food for my 18 month old daughter. I was on autopilot and tasted her rice to make sure it wasn't too hot and also took a nite of noodle the other day to make sure it was thoroughly cooked. It is amazing how unaware I have been about what I eat.

Now that I'm starting over, can I weigh myself? I can tell my clothes are already fitting better!

Don't weigh yourself...especially if you have had off plan foods. I would just get right back on program and think of it more as extending your W30 than starting over. 

• 2 months later...

Okay, I have a similar question regarding this. Husband and I started our Whole 30 Jan 4th. He is currently in USAF Pilot training and on Jan 18th they are having a party to celebrate his whole flight's individual solo flights. This is a HUGE milestone and a huge celebration and with that comes alcohol and party food. I know he's going to celebrate accordingly and as he should. (Pilot training is VERY labor intensive, 12 hour days in the flight room/on the flight line, and anywhere from 2-3 hours of studying that evening, plus lots of studying on the weekends and sometimes flying on the weekend.)

That being said, how much damage to the program will there be if he indulges the one night? I'm not going to make him start over or anything like that but I'm just interested in how it will truly affect what happens after the 30 days when we add things back in. 

That being said, how much damage to the program will there be if he indulges the one night?

A big benefit of this program is figuring out if you have specific food sensitivities. Gluten, Dairy and Soy are three where adverse impacts from even a small serving can linger for weeks after exposure. Eating gluten, dairy or soy re-starts the 30-day clock. This isn't a punishment, just a recognition of how long it takes to heal after exposure. If your husband indulges mid-whole30, it won't be possible to do a clean re-intro 15-days later, and yes, results will be impacted. An accidental bite of sugar is NOT the same. 

There are a couple options here. One, would be to reconsider why it is so important to eat and drink specific things in order to celebrate (I've celebrated things while on the whole30 without "indulging" off-plan. it can be done). The second would be to think about why you are doing the whole30. Eating the whole30 way for 29 out of 30 days is better than not at all, but you will sacrifice the opportunity to learn something significant about your body and it's reaction to specific foods. If that's important to you, but the food and drink celebration is non-negotiable, I would encourage you to add more time at the end so you have a full 30 days 'clean' so to speak before you begin your re-intro.

Thanks for the info. We're really just doing it to "restart" since the new year. I'm 22 weeks pregnant and we were mostly paleo and actually doing the Whole30 until I got pregnant. When I couldn't eat or even smell half the things we were eating, the things we ate for dinner/etc. changed because I do 95% of the housework as he's working/flying/studying more than 60 hours a week. Honestly we just got a little out of control with our eating habits and never reeled it in, I figured 30 days of whole foods to start the new year would be amazing good for us and get us back to where we were before I got pregnant. 

Also, to answer the question about why he's celebrating the way he will be, this is one of 2 flight inclusive sanctioned parties. There is the solo party and graduation, these are 2 huge milestones in his career and I would not and could not, tell him not to enjoy it as he see fit. I know he'll feel the effects of the off roading immediately but that's on him. 

It never fails to amaze me seeing how many restaurants/chefs feel the need smother everything with some sugary garbage.  I almost laugh out loud sometimes, some menu's literally contain nothing that is remotely in it's naturally flavored state.  

Archived