Health Program at Work - Grrrr....

Amy

I started a new job 3 months ago and a great company here in my city.  One of our benefits is if we complete an online health survey, we get a free gym membership.  So sign me up, right?  What I didn't realize was that they would have a coach call me every week to follow up.  The thing I put down that I am working on was weight loss.  

I did my first Whole30 last year, but this year with the new job and other life changes, I've slipped a little on my Paleo eating and gained some weight.  I have done much better lately as things have calmed down and feel I am getting back on track.

So I just got off the phone with the coach and here were his suggestions:  Eat several small meals.  Make sure I eat breakfast, like a granola bar or yogurt, but something high in fiber and low saturated fat.  Try to take carrots or something to work as a snack.  And get some portioned rubbermaid containers to pack my food.

Most of the conversation I just laughed to myself.  I told him I always eat breakfast and left it at that.  I told him I eat plenty of vegetables.  The only time I really disagreed was over the number of meals and I told him I'm not a grazer and I do better with three meals a day.  

I'm sure every week when he calls to check in, he'll think any progress I make is because I'm eating yogurt out of rubber maid containers!

HAHA I have to go through that dumb questioning each quarter too. I don't think it's worth the $100 credit I'm getting on my health insurance.

Although, this is the first time in my life I can truthfully answer that I get at least 5 servings of fruits or veggies. Heck, I probably get that at breakfast.

Wow. I'd probably be totally up front, give him an example of what I eat. Then take the recommendations with a grain of salt.

In the end, what nutritionist would say that eating veggies at every meal is unhealthy? Or eating real, unprocessed foods? My sister's husband's nutritionist at work, when people want to lose weight, tells them to cut the grains. Granted, this company has gourmet chefs that cook their lunch every day. And they had food I could eat (visited and ate with him last month). I had pork loin, an arugula/plum/prosciutto salad, and sweet potato fries. All of the ingredients were posted clearly, so I knew there was nothing bad on the SP fries (my backup plan was the herbed roasted carrots). It was SO AMAZING!!!!!

(FYI - it's Epic Software in Madison, WI).

Archived