Curses Upon You, Football Season!!!

Mattyo3000

I'm on Day 18 of my first Whole30 and feeling really good.  I'll start off by saying that I'm GOING to finish this thing and I'm NOT going to crack today.

But I'm not going to lie.  I think today might be the toughest one for me so far.  There's college football on today and my brain is yelling, "PIZZA!  SUBS!  WINGS!  PRETZELS!  BEEEEEERRRRR!!!!!"  I know this is just a psychological thing, a conditioning that I've been a part of my whole life.  It doesn't help that I've been eating lots of the same things for the last 18 days: eggs, sweet potatoes, turkey burgers, veggies, chicken of all sorts.  So I think my body (or brain, or both) is also craving some variety.

And it also doesn't help that every other commercial on game day is for exactly those foods that my brain is yelling for today.  Chicken-or-egg situation: which came first-- the cravings or the commercials.

Anyway, if you need me, I'll be eating celery sticks with guacamole.

I totally get it!! I love football season and football food! I have a plan to follow for myself that I think will work. First we always DVR the games just so we can watch later and fast forward through the commercials. Use caution if you ever do this because someone will call you before you watch the game and say something like "can you believe how bad that was!". We have always done that because it saves on the time it takes to watch the game. My next plan is to make something yummy and football food like to have for the game. There was a recipe on here for buffalo chicken over a cucumber salad that looked really good. Something you can toss in the crockpot and have ready for the game. Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook has a recipe for chili verde that is great also. Have also made some good deviled eggs with homemade mayo. Homemade sweet potato chips with compliant salsa and guac would be good too. Not sure if the sweet potato chips are ok for whole 30 or not?? Might be a mental thing like paleo pancakes? I plan to watch my game and about halfway through have my football dinner at dinner time. That way I don't feel like I am missing out, I am not snacking and doing all the "food with no breaks" stuff and still enjoying the game watching and eating yummy food thing:)

I knew MNF would be tough for us, but we grilled chicken wings and tossed them in Tessame's Hot Sauce, grilled veggies, and roasted wedges of sweet potatoes. I felt totally satisfied having a full meal very similiar to the rest of the group (though a beer would have been a nice addition). I embracing these social situations so I can will know how to handle them after our 30 days.

Granted, I know going to a bar is a whole other situation, but I'm taking it one step at a time!

Archived