If I make mayo, what can I do with it?

rollo

before i go out and buy an immersion blender (i'm going from not cooking to cooking, so everything new i try becomes a new purchase),

if i make homemade mayo, how can i use that mayo?  since, of course, sandwiches are out :)

and also, i imagine mayo - even a healthy mayo - should be eaten in limited quantities, right? as the fat of that meal?

Thanks!

I just made mayo with an immersion blender for the 1st time, it's like witchcraft i tells ya, witchcraft!! I'd stopped making it after redecorating the kitchen ceiling once too often using the jug-blender-&-drizzle method.

Anyhoo, stick it on a side salad, dip raw veggies in it as a mini-meal, dollop it on cooked veggies, make egg mayo, thin it down with vinegar to make salad dressing - and don't be afraid of the fat, fat is your friend :)

I know this isn't technically your question but there is also a million things you can do with your emulsion blender.  I don't have a regular one. I use my emulsion blender all the time. Mostly for soups and mashes(cauliflower or sweet potatoes) As long as you're not doing anything too tough it can double as a food processor too.  I've used it for salsa and stuff.  So, if you're on the fence about the investment you definitely can use it for other things than just mayo.

I'm with Amberino - Mayo is good on everything!

The other night, I made scotch eggs with two different mayos for dipping: One had hot sauce mixed in and the other had curry and Chinese 5 Spice for a totally different flavor.

You can make a big batch up and divide it/ season them differently. :)

My favorite thing to do is make mayo in the Vitamix and then add a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods (drippings, skin, and all) and have a wonderful chicken salad.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cannot get this mayo recipe to work! 3 failed attempts and I really, really want to eat this mayo!!!!

Ingredients: 1 room temp egg, 1T lemon juice (1/2 small lemon) 1/2 tsp ground mustard, 11/4 cup extra light olive oil, salt.

I blend the first 3 ingredients and slowwwwwly drizzle in the oil.

All 3 times I have made an oily soupy mess. First time I made it with the vitamix, ok, big mistake. Second time, less powerful blender, 3rd time immersion blender. Same results.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cannot get this mayo recipe to work! 3 failed attempts and I really, really want to eat this mayo!!!!

Ingredients: 1 room temp egg, 1T lemon juice (1/2 small lemon) 1/2 tsp ground mustard, 11/4 cup extra light olive oil, salt.

All 3 times I have made an oily soupy mess. First time I made it with the vitamix, ok, big mistake. Second time, less powerful blender, 3rd time immersion blender. Same results.

I use a similar recipe, but with 2-3T acid (depending on egg size), and I add a pinch of salt. I don't always bother with allowing the ingredients to come to room temp and haven't had any issues - I use a food processor on medium-ish speed.

This way was posted on the FB group yesterday. I had the same results with mayo as you before I tried this last night. It works!!

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/07/07/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Good luck!

put 280ml oil in a beaker or narrow jug, break in the egg, add the lemon juice or ACV, add mustard. Put the immersion blender in the bottom of the beaker and turn on. Magic will happen and you will have mayo in 10 seconds. Move the blender up slowly to incorporate all the oil. Voila!

This method only works with whole eggs as the egg white aids the emulsification. 

Stop drizzling in oil when it looks like it's getting to be the consistency of mayo. I use 2 egg yolks, 1T lemon juice, and much less oil.

P.S. I make it in the food processor.

I use my food processor.  I put the egg, acid, and 1/4 cup oil in and give it a good whirl until they are blended well.  Then I start adding the full cup of oil to the mix.  I did find a cheater's way to pour it.  The black plunger-thingie that pushes the veggies in when shredding has 2 tiny holes at the bottom of my model.  I leave that in the opening, so if my hand slips or gets shaky, I still can't dump oil in too fast.

Archived