Brazilian Fish Stew (Moqueca de Peixe) - divine!

Wordlvr

This recipe was given to me by a friend who got it from Cooking Light. I changed it ever so slightly to use full-fat coconut milk and dump the cup of chopped green pepper because I don't like it, and switched to yellow or orange. I don't really think you have to finely chop the vegetables (though I have) because they just get blendered to smithereens anyway. I have done rougher chopping and fine. For deeper flavor, I like to make sure there's some caramelization of the vegetables before they're pureed. If you give it a whirl, I hope you like it as much as I do. To me, it's ambrosia.

Brazilian Fish Stew (Moqueca de Peixe)

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (1 1/2-pound) sea bass or halibut fillet, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips (I've used cod or tilapia recently)
  • 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups finely chopped onion
  • 1 cup finely chopped orange or yellow pepper
  • 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
  • 3/4 cup minced green onions (about 1 bunch)
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cups chopped tomato (about 2 large)
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
  • 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
  • 2 cups chicken broth (I use vegetable stock sometimes, too)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Preparation

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, and bay leaf; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; add tomato, and cook 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup cilantro, clam juice, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.

Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour pureed vegetable mixture into pan. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Add coconut milk and red pepper to pureed vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes. Add fish mixture; cook 3 minutes or until fish is done. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cilantro.

Archived