Eszter's First Whole30--drop by & say hi!!

ejulian

Greetings, Whole30ers past,present, & future!

I'm on day 7 of my first Whole30, and I decided it was high time that I introduce myself & reach out to other folks in the same situation! And please, since I'm a total noob, do let me know if I'm making any mistakes in Forum Etiquette or anything!

Here's my story, in brief: former vegetarian, went paleo-ish in spring of this year, took on Whole30 as a challenge to myself and in order to droo my obsessive calorie-counting habit! Anyone familiar with MyFitnessPal will know how useful it can be until it stops being useful & starts to be a stressor! I've found the Whole30 to be pretty easy so far: I don't miss Greek yogurt or cheese as much as I thought I would, and since I fought my battles with the Sugar Dragon earlier, cravings & such haven't been a problem (although of course I remain on guard! That dragon is sneaky!). My biggest concern is that I must be doing something wrong since it's not as hard as I anticipated!

So that's me...thanks for being such an accessible community!! :)

I'm on day 14 - welcome btw-- first time.  Would it drive you crazy if you posted your meals?  I have posted my meals and I have gotten a lot of help from some of the wiser folks here who have done this before, etc.  It has been a challenge for me to get veggies at every meal and to keep away from snacking in the evening.  Mostly a few macadamias or a small apple, but I know how I am after supper and I'm trying to break the snacking habit -- I had almost quit when I went wheat/grain free over a year ago......but I got smart -- read and read and let gf junk sneak in.  I'm learning everyday - so my best to you!

Thank you for your welcome!! :)

I'm on day 14 - welcome btw-- first time.  Would it drive you crazy if you posted your meals?  I have posted my meal

terryd, I don't think it would drive me crazy to post my meals, but I might just post an idea of them!  I'd love to get feedback from wiser Whole30'ers, but I'm not going to obsess about posting my meals because I don't want to replace the MyFitnessPal food log with the Whole30 Forum food log, if that makes sense!

So here's an idea of what I eat in a day:

Meal 1: I like to make an "eggurrito": 3 eggs in a large, thin omelette cooked in ghee with half an avocado mashed on top.  Then I put some smoked salmon on top (maybe 1/2 to 1 palm??), add some cooked spinach and cooked mixed peppers, onions, and sundried tomatoes, and roll the whole thing up!  I like to accompany it with something like a sliced raw tomato, but this morning I had tomato and some sliced raw cucumber sprinkled with dill.  Yum!  I also have a cup of coffee with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a splash of coconut cream and I try to make it last as long as I can!

Of course, yesterday I had a sweet potato hash with onions, apple, and spinach, cut up chicken bratwurst, and fried eggs on top.  And the day before I enjoyed a bowl of the Well Fed chocolate chili with spinach, avocado, and cocoa-roasted cauliflower.  So that's actually three ideas :P

Meal 2: I usually pack this at home and eat it at work--I'm a stagehand, so I have long, strange hours.  This meal often consists of tuna with mustard and homemade mayo, raw spinach, cut up tomato on top, pickles, maybe some carrots too.  Or I'll have an assortment of raw veg (jicama, carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber) with sunshine sauce for dipping and some portable protein like cold leftover chicken, smoked oysters in a can, or sardines.

Meal 3: This is often eaten at work as well!  Today I'm having a roasted eggplant and fresh tomato salad with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil accompanied by some cold rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods on a bed of raw spinach.  I like to finish meal 3 with some small amount of fruit--yesterday it was 5-6 figs, last week the pluots were very good--and 6-7 brazil nuts.  I try to be very aware of my fruit/nut consumption for Sugar Dragon fighting purposes, but since I don't feel that I'm overdoing it, I like the sense of finality that a bit of fruit gives my day.  I also make sure to eat this with the meal, and not later in a snacky sort of way! 

On Monday, though, which is my day off, my partner and I enjoyed a decadent meal of Well Fed's Pad Thai with a green salad with cumin-lime dressing, sparkling water with lemon juice in it, and some peach, blueberry, and fig drizzled with coconut cream... Yum!  That's the only night I get to have dinner with him, so we try to make it special :wub:

So there's my basic meal sketch, for posterity!  Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback you have!

I don't mean to make it sound like everything is sunshine & roses though! The transition to the Whole30 has been relatively easy for me since I wasn't coming from SAD-land, but the demon that I have to fight is the Snack Demon- not quite the Sugar Dragon, but a cousin, perhaps?? Whenever I'm in the kitchen prepping food, whether it's the weekly cookup or putting together my lunch & dinner for work, I have the urge to pop a piece of whatever into my mouth as I put stuff in boxes- a piece of pork or chicken, a nut, a carrot. It's not out of control, but it's not necessary either!!

I haven't been very diligent about keeping this log since I'm keeping a written one for myself that feels lesd like it'll let me slip back into the MyFitnessPal food logging trap... Anyway! This is the first time that I have an actual question, so maybe there is someone reading who can weigh in?

My partner & I are planning a long bike ride on Saturday, and I'm considering what sort of fuel we can bring in our pockets. I've read some of the threads in the "for athletes" section in which folks asked similar questions, but I'll admit that the idea of bringing something like almond-stuffed dates or Larabars is a little scary for me. I'm a bit worried about unleashing the Sugar Dragon... So what other options does that leave?? I'd love some advice!!

Thanks to anyone reading! :-)

Hi Eszter!  I'm a newbie as well, end of day 3 for me :-)  According to my little daily emails from Whole 30, I should probably be feeling lethargic and a bit cranky around this time but I'm feeling great!  I didn't eat COMPLETELY unhealthy prior to starting this but I've had many issues with the Sugar Dragon myself and am looking to slay that little punk once and for all!  Challenging part for me in all this is going to be the fact that I don't cook...hardly ever....I've always been too lazy.  But I made a pretty yummy dinner tonight, all compliant with Whole 30, and I'm starting to realize that I need to get over laziness and start cooking for myself!  So yeah that's my story, welcome and keep charging!

It's Day 25 here, and life is pretty great: I catch myself feeling ridiculously happy, at times, and I love it!  But for some reason, I'm having absurd sweets cravings!  I just want to eat ALL the chocolate... yesterday I was putting my lunch in the fridge at work, and my eye fell upon the container of dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's and I thought, yeah, I could eat all of those.  I guess the important thing is that I haven't done such a thing, but I'm a little worried about what will happen when my 30 days are over!  And why is my brain going so crazy NOW??  Has anyone else experienced such a thing??

It's Day 25 here, and life is pretty great: I catch myself feeling ridiculously happy, at times, and I love it!  But for some reason, I'm having absurd sweets cravings!  I just want to eat ALL the chocolate... yesterday I was putting my lunch in the fridge at work, and my eye fell upon the container of dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's and I thought, yeah, I could eat all of those.  I guess the important thing is that I haven't done such a thing, but I'm a little worried about what will happen when my 30 days are over!  And why is my brain going so crazy NOW??  Has anyone else experienced such a thing??

I'd never be able to have peanut butter cups in my fridge.  WAAAAAYY to much of a trigger food for me  lol  but man I am really praying that my craving for sweets gos away....in addition to getting healthier, that is the one main goal that I want to accomplish with my whole 30

Hi - I think that happens to a lot of people.  As you get close to the end, your brain starts thinking of all the things it hasn't been able to have.  I found it easier to think of it not as 30 days and done, but 30 days and reintroduce slowly - so really more like 60 days.  Believe me, once you let in one thing, it's hard to keep out the rest!  One PB cup leads to a lot of off-roading, in my experience (which is why I'm getting ready for anotehr W30... Sigh).  Best of luck to you!

I'd never be able to have peanut butter cups in my fridge.  WAAAAAYY to much of a trigger food for me  lol  but man I am really praying that my craving for sweets gos away....in addition to getting healthier, that is the one main goal that I want to accomplish with my whole 30

Oh, believe me, there are no peanut butter cups in my fridge at home... This is at work, where alas, I cannot control the contents of the fridge...!  But I'm with you, LTRocket, on the whole Sugar Dragon slaying thing!  I do think it's getting easier--there was definitely a time a few months ago where I might have just eaten all the damn things!  But now I know that they are not worth it! :P

Hi - I think that happens to a lot of people.  As you get close to the end, your brain starts thinking of all the things it hasn't been able to have.  I found it easier to think of it not as 30 days and done, but 30 days and reintroduce slowly - so really more like 60 days.  Believe me, once you let in one thing, it's hard to keep out the rest!  One PB cup leads to a lot of off-roading, in my experience (which is why I'm getting ready for anotehr W30... Sigh).  Best of luck to you!

Our brains are tricky things, aren't they??  I just have to keep telling it, Brain, you don't really want that!  It will not make us feel good...! I am looking forward to the reintroduction phase because of the Science Experiment aspect--being able to say for sure, [x] food makes me feel [x] way, if that makes sense...  And although I don't intend to live my life Whole365, I do appreciate the way that squeaky clean eating makes me feel!

Sometimes, I have to remind myself to be more gentle with myself! A perceived "failure"-- a bout of overeating, a meal that isn't well-planned, having a snsck one day-- although not necessarily desirable, those don't make my Whole30 a "failure!" It's a long learning process to undo a life's worth of eating habits & learn new, better ones, & I'm proud of myself for just embarking on the journey!

Sometimes, I have to remind myself to be more gentle with myself! A perceived "failure"-- a bout of overeating, a meal that isn't well-planned, having a snsck one day-- although not necessarily desirable, those don't make my Whole30 a "failure!" It's a long learning process to undo a life's worth of eating habits & learn new, better ones, & I'm proud of myself for just embarking on the journey!

So true!!! Why is it that we tend to beat ourselves up for a  small error - when prior to the journey I would have been going to a grocer to see what kind of healthy "junk" I could purchase to nibble on and then eat the whole thing.  Now when I stub my toe - it is minor in comparison - most of my mindless grazing is gone - I have to force my self to taste something to see if it needs salt - I still have an evening time "wanting to eat everything in sight even though I'm not hungry monster" that attacks when I first sit down after dinner or after I have finished babysitting.  That I know is more of a habit - but I still have the guilt over it - One of my goals of my 1st w30 was to shed myself of that "habit".  I still find myself satisfying that need with something (feeling guilty) small such as a handful of macadamias or a small piece of fruit.  It's a little hectic around here at dinner time - and I should really try incorporating that snack into dinner.  Ok so a little self talk.........thanks for letting me blab......realizing all the issues takes time - I need to understand that messing up my system for so many years - eating badly will take more time than the 30 days...............

terryd, I think you're so right!!  Sometimes we're harsh on ourselves for perceived "failures" or lapses or whatever, but when we take a moment to look back on how far we've come, it's a great feeling! We've accomplished a lot and we can still learn a lot & that is pretty awesome!!

I learn so much just hanging around the forum.  I didn't venture to far at first, and I don't have a lot of time.  I am hoping for another great w30 - you must be close to the end....congrats!  It is such a good feeling.

Thank you!! Yesterday I was feeling kinda down on myself, but things are happy today & I'm feeling good!!

I know that for me my feelings usually have something to do with what I eat or haven't eaten.  My moods are much more stable now - less ranting and raving.  I'm walking more, loving the fall weather and the fresh air.  I look back at my grandmothers and remember nothing but sweetness and light - that is what I want for my grandchildren - not this day to day maniac whose moods flow like the tide.. These are the things I need to remember when I want to go off road.........I am happier - nothing much has changed as far as stress -- most of my stress these days has to do with hubby's health issues or my grandkids or my daughter's stress on her or my SIL's job - I am a care giver and love to "fix" things.  When I can't "fix" them or be in control is when my craziness starts -- now I'm calmer, happier if you will.  Hope you have a terrific day.

I know that for me my feelings usually have something to do with what I eat or haven't eaten.  My moods are much more stable now - less ranting and raving.  I'm walking more, loving the fall weather and the fresh air.  I look back at my grandmothers and remember nothing but sweetness and light - that is what I want for my grandchildren - not this day to day maniac whose moods flow like the tide.. These are the things I need to remember when I want to go off road.........I am happier - nothing much has changed as far as stress -- most of my stress these days has to do with hubby's health issues or my grandkids or my daughter's stress on her or my SIL's job - I am a care giver and love to "fix" things.  When I can't "fix" them or be in control is when my craziness starts -- now I'm calmer, happier if you will.  Hope you have a terrific day.

terryd, that's lovely... having motivation like that surely helps you to make the right choices for yourself!! :)

I see San Diego - once upon a time we lived there --------daughter was born many moons ago in South Laguna.........loved it ....... we had a home in Laguna Niguel...........miss the weather........ we have lived from close to Balboa Park to the outskirts of LA.  Hope you enjoy where you live.  (now in OHIO)  oh well.

Yes - we have had some wonderful days last week- I think we are in for some rain this week.  The trees are just starting to color.  Great for trips out and about.  We are fortunate that we look out into a woods from our back yard - this will be our first fall in the new house - looking forward to it!  Great neighborhood for walking around in.   Yet we are city or suburb......

Well, it's Day 30 for me today!  Wow!  I can't believe this month has gone by so quickly...  I just finished reading my Day 30 email, and I've been thinking hard about reintroductions.  There's a part of me that just wants to keep on Whole30-ing until there's something worth giving it up for, because this style of eating does make me feel really good!  But there's another side that's scientifically curious--I really want to go ahead with reintroductions as outlined in It Starts With Food because I am soooooo curious about how those "less-healthy" foods really affect me!  I wasn't eating a lot of those foods before I started my Whole30, and they're not really something that I plan to incorporate into my diet again.  I just want the data about how they affect me so that I can make completely informed choices about whether to consume them or not!  My partner and I are planning a vacation for later this month, and that's the purpose for which I want the data: while I'm frolicking around on the beach, I want to know whether consuming a particular food group is going to make me feel like crap and therefore make it not worth it, or whether I'll be ok and don't need to stress about it too much!  Not that I'm planning on going crazy and stuffing my face with pancakes, because I KNOW that won't make me feel good... I just want to be able to make informed choices!  I hope that makes sense!!

I've already planned out my reintroduction schedule... I get to keep going with the Whole30 until October 4, which I've designated as Dairy Day!

Sidenote: today's gonna be tough because I'm making a cake for a coworker.  I know I can do it without tasting, though!  Luckily, I have a designated taster, so I'm in luck ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived