breakfast foods?

Hi Chauntelle! My husband has issues with eggs, so we've had to get a little creative for breakfast (especially when time is a factor). We've found that cooking up a bunch of ground pork, onions and kale with sausage-style seasonings (cayenne, thyme, oregano and chili flakes are go-tos for us) makes a good grab-and-go meal for him. He can just reheat it in the tupperware or wrap it up in a Pure Wrap burrito-style and it works really well. Another fave is ham steaks (from our local farm) and roasted or sauteed brussels sprouts.

If you're able to stomach eggs, frittatas are a great way to keep them from getting boring. You can add whatever leafy greens, veggies and/or meats you have in the fridge and make it a little different every time. Plus, if you cook a whole 9x13 dish of it, it's great for portioning out through the week.

Hope these suggestions help!

If anyone else has good non-egg traditional-ish breakfast ideas (sweet or savory!), I'd love to hear them!

Hi!

I believe most that have been eating this way for awhile would agree that breakfast no longer or rarely looks like breakfast anymore. Breakfast can be leftover dinner from the night before. It can be veggies such as brussel spouts and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil and some eggs or if you need a break from eggs, sub in chicken. My point is, consider considering breakfast as any other meal, not “breakfastâ€.

Hope this helps.

Modified Scotch eggs: Hard-boil half a dozen eggs. Peel. Squeeze 1 lb of W30-compliant sausage (I get mine from a CSA, or you could make your own) from its casings. Cover each egg in a layer of sausage. Bake at 400 degrees for about 1/2 hour on a rack set over a baking dish to catch the drippings, until the sausage is cooked through.

I have intolerance to eggs so being creative at breakfast time was a challenge for me at first but now I love eating dinner leftovers for breakfast. It may seem weird at first but It is super easy and always good. I also make hashes out of sweet potatoes, sausage, and other veggies. Or just cooking up some greens, and other veggies in coconut oil with chicken sausage is good :) - Just make sure the chicken sausage is whole30 approved

I enjoy Well Fed's meat and spinach muffins for breakfast. They freeze well, too! So a batch made one weekend can last two weeks depending on how many you share.

I'll also eat whatever I had for dinner the night before. Breakfast often looks like any other meal. A great meat, lots of veggies and a drizzle of olive oil.

I get lots of comments at work about my interesting breakfast choices. :)

I can't eat eggs either, so I usually have leftovers for breakfast too. One of the more "breakfasty" things I make, though, is chicken sausage sweet potato hash. Just brown some chicken sausage in a pan w/coconut oil, then add grated sweet potato and stir until the sweet potato is softened. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!

When I eat breakfast, I usually go for leftover vegetables from the night before--asparagus, tomatoes, spinach, etc--that can be easily reheated with some ground beef, cooked into a frittata (if you do want to eat eggs that morning), or eaten beside some leftover meat from the same meal.

Another one who has leftover dinner for breakfast, Well Fed's Moroccan meatballs this morning on red cabbage- yum! Also just keeping aside a variety of veg from dinner and cooking it up with coconut oil and eggs helps keep egg breakfasts from becoming boring.

I've been running sweet potatoes through my food processor to make hashbrown shreds and put that in a pan with a bit of olive oil, seasoning, and some type of a sliced clean (natural) sausage or other meat. I got sick of eggs after a week and found I had to let go of the idea of what you "should" eat for breakfast and just follow the foods outlined to eat within this plan. So yes, sometimes eating leftovers from dinner the night before or chicken becomes "breakfast". It seems odd, but I look at it this way - it might be 7 in the morning where I'm at, but it's lunchtime somewhere else in the world!

All you egg haters/egg avoiders send your eggs to me... ;)

I'm a big fan of the hash. Per Melissa Joulwan (Well Fed author), chop up your veggies and lightly pre-cook your beef/chicken/what have you on the weekend. During the week, grab some handfuls of what you want out of the refrigerator, throw them into your pre-oiled skillet, and get to cooking.

Once my sisters and I made it to our teenage years without (too much) drama, my mom said, "I don't care what you eat for breakfast so long as it's not junk food." So I haven't been wedded to the concept of "breakfast foods" for a while now.

Debbie,

The Jay Robb whey protein shakes have stevia in them, so they're off limits for your Whole 30. They're also a processed food, again something you'll want to avoid.

There's a bunch of other really tasty, fast, and easy protein options out there. The fun part is discovering them.

For all that reported "egg intolerance", what were the symptoms that made you realize that they weren't for you? I'm realizing that food intolerances can be much more subtle than, "I broke out in hives"...and am curious about what to look for.

Thanks!

Archived