Almond Milk

Esquirou-

Any almond milk you can buy in the store is heavily processed and will contain off plan ingredients. You can make your own with almonds and water as long as you keep the ingredients on target. Almond milk has a completely different texture, though, and probably won't sub nicely in recipes.

Be aware that the coconut milk sold in the dairy case next to the almond milk is NOT real coconut milk. It's watery, over processed junk full of added emulsifiers etc. Don't drink that stuff. Bleh! :wacko:

Real coconut milk is sold in cans (or for AROY-D they also sell in tetra paks). It's very thick, like very heavy whipping cream. It should not contain anything other than coconut, water and sometimes, guar gum. Some Thai brands will list coconut extract instead of coconut and water. So long as it's a Thai brand listing that, it's the same thing and ok. Skip the brands with metabisulfites.

Real coconut milk is not used like milk. It would be awful on cereal, but we don't do that anyway. It's not really drinkable, and even though you could water it, its not a good idea to be drinking calories. It's used like cream - scrumptious in curry sauces, creamy salad dressings, creamer for coffee or chai, on berries. Some industrious people whip it.

Add me to the list of former coconut haters. I'm a coconut milk lover now! :wub: It's rich and creamy and adds an interesting note to coffee-and it also adds a little sweetness. It was YUMMY in my mashed sweet potatoes the other night. And curries? OMG-don't even get me started. It took a little getting used to in my coffee (maybe 2-3 days?) and now I really don't think I'll be going back to cream.

Can you tell that we think you should reconsider coconut milk? ;)

I swear I must be missing something with the coconut milk....I bought the canned kind, even bought the more expensive brand hoping to still have my morning cup of coffee. It's Thai Kitchen. Am I doing something wrong? I shook it up, tasted it (YUCK!) put some in my coffee anyway and it was still YUCK. I'm on day 3 and still missing coffee......

jbasel31 - It could be that you just aren't used to the flavor or were expecting it to taste like milk when it doesn't. Some people just don't like coconut milk, although in my experience most start loving it after a few exposures. Maybe try eating it on some berries or something to get used to the flavor.

Also, so long as the ingredients are ok, I wouldn't necessarily go for the highest priced. The brand I prefer is actually one of the cheaper at the Asian market. Thai Kitchen is kind of high, but it's often the only choice in many regular grocery stores.

Well, this is a bummer. I thought I was having coconut milk but I've been buying the kind in the diary case. I also buy almond milk. I like the almond milk WAY better. But looks like neither are a go with whole30. DRAT! Oh well..live and learn.

On a related (but side-) note here, could anyone tell me where I might find coconut cream? I've read about people using that in their coffee as well. I went to my local food co-op tonight and bought some creamed coconut and melted it, as per the instructions on the box, to mix it in my espresso. It ended up being just coconut oil, basically, and the taste wasn't enough to allay the bitterness of the espresso. Is this coconut cream just whipped coconut milk?

To chime in with everyone else, though, coconut milk is good stuff, while the almond milk you can buy in the dairy section at the grocery store is just yet another form of sugar-water.

Coconut cream is the thick stuff that rises to the top of chilled unshaken coconut milk. Some coconut milk makers also sell a coconut cream that is just slightly fattier, thicker coconut milk. Beware of coconut creme which is full of sugar!

Creamed coconut is the same as coconut butter. It's made like nut butters out of whole dry coconut. It separates out though, so if it wasn't stirred together well, you could have gotten a big blob of oil, just like oil will separate out at the top of a nut butter jar.

Coconut cream is the thick stuff that rises to the top of chilled unshaken coconut milk. Some coconut milk makers also sell a coconut cream that is just slightly fattier, thicker coconut milk. Beware of coconut creme which is full of sugar!

Creamed coconut is the same as coconut butter. It's made like nut butters out of whole dry coconut. It separates out though, so if it wasn't stirred together well, you could have gotten a big blob of oil, just like oil will separate out at the top of a nut butter jar.

I bought a can of Thai Kitchen coconut milk at my local food co-op today, and I found myself eating it as if it were vanilla ice cream. I must have eaten almost a cup! It didn't turn out to be too appetizing in coffee, but it sure does take care of my ice cream cravings!

@Cheryl, I used to add frozen berries to the coconut cream and blend. It tursn it into ice cream. Though if its a little thick you might want to add a little egg whites to make it creamier..... Its a great ice cream alternative :)

@Cheryl, I used to add frozen berries to the coconut cream and blend. It tursn it into ice cream. Though if its a little thick you might want to add a little egg whites to make it creamier..... Its a great ice cream alternative :)

This really is delicious, but during a W30 you want to avoid paleofying foods. Especially avoid this if you have an ice cream habit. Wait til after the W30 and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Archived