Fell off the Whole30 wagon :(

d.t

I started day 5 on Friday and did so well up to that day.  Then...I went to Wendy's to get my pup a hamburger (his treat when I leave him for a few hours).  I ate a Wendy's chicken (not grilled) sandwich. I tried one of the fries and it tasted horrible, so no fries.  

It doesn't end there, I ate Wendy's single on Sat afternoon after running errands in the morning.  :(

Then...on Sun afternoon I ate a Filet of Fish from McDonald's with a few fries.  

I did it...I feel like a complete failure..I feel like a fat, disgusting fat body.  :(  :(

I'll restart Whole 30 tomorrow morning.  I shopped this morning and bought more veggies and meat for next week's meals.  

I ate Whole30 in the morning and in the evening when I fell off the wagon but I still fell off the wagon.

Well....it's done and over with.  I did it.  I failed.  I'll restart tomorrow morning.

Guess I'm done with the self-loathing.  

• Moderators

Alcoholics Anonymous tells people who are trying to stop drinking to change playmates, playgrounds, and playthings. You went to your old playground and could not resist your old playthings. Don't go back to your old playgrounds. At least not until you have been sober for a long time. :)

I am going to try again for Sept. 9. I was going to get right back on, but today is the first chance I have had to sit down with the wife. Together, we are going to redo what support really means. It will work out better this time.

I only made it to day three, so you did pretty well. It is rough making through the first 14, but many here point out that is the roughest part.

As Tom pointed out, we need to change our playgrounds. For me, I love Wendy's and Five Guys, even though I know they are poison. So, I am going to avoid those playgrounds. 

For me, my goal is to get back to being an outdoorsman. My wife did show me support by buying me a pair of snake boots. I figure a good way to get started is with a morning hike tomorrow to get them broken in. Being surrounded by oak and pine trees may get my head on straight. 

Set your goals, your new start date, and plug away again. The more you post here, the more support that you will get. Take care.

Thanks all for the support!  I have found that once I eat the stuff from Wendy's and Mickey D's since starting Whole 30 is that I feel very bloated.  That right there should make be realize that the stuff is not good for me.  I didn't know that the food made me bloated, know I do.  

To avoid the playground is a little challenging; I have so many fast food restaurants near my apartment complex it is ridiculous.

Thanks again for the support! 

You haven't failed - failing would be watching the wagon disappear over the hill, not caring and turning your back to walk away! You've realised that the food makes you feel bad, and bloated, and you don't want to have it again - isn't that a good thing?

Just another thought - if you know how bad it makes you feel, why feed it to your little one? He deserves to be healthy too, right?

It may be hard at first, but perhaps his "treat" can be something else? Take something home - a game or colouring book, or make up vouchers for "time with mum" for different activities. I bet he'd love to spend time with you even more than a fast food "treat" :)

Also on the pup's behalf... Those foods are not any better for our pets than for us. And in some cases even worse! Just coming back home is treat enough for your dog that has been at daycare or at home alone. Or go buy some nice raw hide bones or other dog approved treats!

I avoided ALL my usual haunts the first 2+ weeks of my whole30 AND cleaned out the house to avoid falling.

Omggggg too funny. Well, I am sure that you can teach your puppy to use colorbook too :)

Regarding Wendy's, it's not a failure. It's a feedback. Now it's a proven fact - junk food makes you bloted and sick. As well as taht you need to stay away from some places. You've learned new information, use it for your benefit. Moreover, do you have to rush so somewhere? Even in these 5 days you've done yourself a favor. Now try again and see what great changes are comming next if you stay on course.

P.S it's early to talk about offr-oading, but seriously on whole30 or not, but everyone deserves real food, not frankenfood.

I too feel like I'm falling off the wagon every weekend.  I started my second Whole30 on Aug 26th and for some reason I feel like I can bend the rules a little....which doesn't make me proud after i do it.  But the past 2 weekends, I've had friends visit or I visited friends out of state and I feel like 2-3 beers is okay b/c I want to be social.  But then I get up the next day and feel like I need to re-start once again.  Just wondering if anyone else has suggestions on how to stay motivated during second and third whole30s.  I felt great after the first one and I want to get back there but my motivation isn't as strong since I've proven to myself that I can do a Whole30.  Anyone starting soon that I can partner up with and stay accountable? 

Thanks for the support, Nadia!  Hey Jill, I just started the Whole 30 today for the 2nd time.  I have the same issue as you, the weekends are tough for me regarding fast food.  

I might have jury duty tomorrow (stand by juror).  I read yelp.com for those who have been to the jury room to wait.  It can take 4-5 hours.  I'm concerned that if I'm called in, how will I resist fast food since I'll probably be very hungry by the time I get out.  

I eat breakfast around 7-8am and lunch around 1pmish.  I have to report by 1pm but I will have to start the trek to the courthouse in downtown Dallas around 11:30am due to limited parking in the area.  They do not make it easy for jurors. :(

If I'm at the courthouse by 12N and I could be there until 4-5pm, it will take me about 1 1/2 hrs to get home due to rush hour traffic.  

Any suggestions on what I can do to fend off the fast food monster?

Thanks!

Any suggestions? 

Thanks for the support, Nadia!  Hey Jill, I just started the Whole 30 today for the 2nd time.  I have the same issue as you, the weekends are tough for me regarding fast food.  

I might have jury duty tomorrow (stand by juror).  I read yelp.com for those who have been to the jury room to wait.  It can take 4-5 hours.  I'm concerned that if I'm called in, how will I resist fast food since I'll probably be very hungry by the time I get out.  

I eat breakfast around 7-8am and lunch around 1pmish.  I have to report by 1pm but I will have to start the trek to the courthouse in downtown Dallas around 11:30am due to limited parking in the area.  They do not make it easy for jurors. :(

If I'm at the courthouse by 12N and I could be there until 4-5pm, it will take me about 1 1/2 hrs to get home due to rush hour traffic.  

Any suggestions on what I can do to fend off the fast food monster?

Thanks!

Any suggestions? 

Eat a good sized breakfast and lunch following the meal template: protein, vegetables and fat. Maybe you need to eat breakfast a bit earlier than normal tomorrow, so you can get both breakfast and lunch in before you leave?

Bring along compliant food with you for a mini-meal afternoon snack, in case you get hungry. An easy one to transport is a hard boiled egg, sliced peppers, and handful of compliant nuts.

if you're stuck really late at the courthouse and are famished when you get out, have a compliant Larabar in your car's glove compartment for an emergency food (to help you avoid a fast food stop on the way home).

I too feel like I'm falling off the wagon every weekend.  I started my second Whole30 on Aug 26th and for some reason I feel like I can bend the rules a little....which doesn't make me proud after i do it.  But the past 2 weekends, I've had friends visit or I visited friends out of state and I feel like 2-3 beers is okay b/c I want to be social.  But then I get up the next day and feel like I need to re-start once again.  Just wondering if anyone else has suggestions on how to stay motivated during second and third whole30s.  I felt great after the first one and I want to get back there but my motivation isn't as strong since I've proven to myself that I can do a Whole30.  Anyone starting soon that I can partner up with and stay accountable? 

Jill, are doing a whole30 just to prove yourself that you are able to do this? Just to cross off your list? If not (I hope not), then why (insert list here))? Second or third or seventh whole30 is no different from one another if you are doing it for a good reason. Loving yourself and taking good care of yourself are reasons good enough. 

I am not saying it's easy. I am saying that it's often a choice of what you want most over what you want now. 

Good luck, don't give up. 

Jill, I couldn't get myself to commit to a 2nd W30 either. But after thinking about it, I realized I really didn't need to do another strict W30. I had already gone through the reintro period and learned what I needed to learn. I just didn't have the motivation to follow the rules so strictly, and once I allowed myself to break one of the rules, it quickly fell apart. I abandoned the effort though, and just developed my going-forward plan. I eat W30 foods probably 95% of the time. I don't stress about butter or cooking oils or trace amounts of sugar when I eat out at restaurants (once or twice a month). I allow myself a real treat (like Mexican food) every 2 months or so, and the same goes for a really yummy dessert...then I get back on track immediately. I'm not sure what your reasons are for doing another W30, but maybe all you need to do is eliminate your trigger foods for awhile and don't stress the small stuff? Just a thought.

Thanks for the responses.  On the 30th day of my Whole30, my friend passed away very suddenly so I was not able to reintroduce foods to see what bothers me...but to my credit, I also didn't binge eat on carbs so I'm thanking for that!  Since then I have eaten very paleo and feel okay.  I would like to do a second Whole30 to find out if any foods affect me and also b/c I have never felt and looked as good as I did at the end of those 30 days.  I just can't seem to stay committed like I did on my first Whole30.  

Archived