AG's Second Attempt

ArcheoGator

I can only imagine how much more energy you have with better blood sugar control!  Hooray!

Not that you asked... but I had an okay day... but I am sick & just want dairy!  

I am not having such fantastic results... so I am glad to read that someone is getting great benefits. 

It makes me feel like if I can just keep it up a little longer... then it will all feel better.

Thanks AG!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only imagine how much more energy you have with better blood sugar control!  Hooray!

Not that you asked... but I had an okay day... but I am sick & just want dairy!  

I am not having such fantastic results... so I am glad to read that someone is getting great benefits. 

It makes me feel like if I can just keep it up a little longer... then it will all feel better.

Thanks AG!

I do not miss milk, since I was not a milk drinker. I do miss cheese; I used to always have blocks of various kinds in the fridge. I am reading more and more that dairy is a huge no for auto-immune diseases, so I do not know if cheese will be reintroduced. Most people do not realize that type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease and is quite different from type 2 (though both are dangerous if not managed).

Hang in there. You just need to keep pushing through until that point that it gets easier. It is your body that determines how long that will take for you. I would imagine that I am noticing certain results faster. Before this Whole30, my a1c was 10.9, meaning an average level of around 300. Simply dropping my levels probably accounts for a large amount of my improvements. Also, since I will soon be gradually reducing my insulin and increasing exercise, my weight loss will probably accelerate sooner. ISWF has a good section on the role of insulin with weight gain, and I am in a catch 22. I have to administer the very hormone that can contribute to weight gain; going paleo to reduce my insulin needs is one of the only ways to truly lose weight.

Now, just four more days until the 1/2 way marker.

Day 12 is down. I had another day of lawn work. Though it is cooling down, it is still in the 90s here in FL. Once I was done with the lawn itself, I started looking for things to do. I wanted to stay outside for a bit, so I took care of outdoor furniture and a few other things. This was unheard of before. I would mow, use the edger, then the blower. After that, it was sofa time. I only have 1/3 acre, so it is not like it should have wiped me out. Now, as long as I stay hydrated, lawn care is just one item on my daily list instead of THE item. 

Dinner was a beef roast that I had in the slow cooker for several hours, with parsnips, carrots, onion, and celery. That was one nice meal after getting work done. Normally I would have added white potatoes and eaten it with cornbread. I kind of missed having them, but I do not miss the post-meal glucose high. Glucose never went above 130 all day.

I am starting to view produce so much differently. I used to add vegetables here and there because you are supposed to eat them. In fact, I ate a lot of "brown" meals in the past, with no vegetable in sight. Now, I look at the carrots, etc., and "see" the nutrients they are about to give me. 

I am also happy with myself regarding alcohol. Before I became a SAHD to homeschool my boys, I was a teacher for six years in a very rough school. I had 10-13 year old boys cussing at me and threatening my family (in addition to other students) on a regular basis. I started relaxing with a six pack on Saturdays. Then Fridays were added. Then Thursdays. Even when I stopped teaching, the habit was there, and I was downing 3-4 six packs a week. Obviously, that was hell on my diabetes. I would just take enormous amounts of insulin to cover the beer carbs and move on. I drank real beer, 20 grams + per 12 oz. If I did not get serious with this Whole30 stuff, I know what the results would have been. Even today, I would have normally had a beer outside after mowing. Today it was water or unsweet tea, and I felt great. 

That's enough personal stuff for one evening, I suppose  -_-

Good job. I am a teacher in an inner city high poverty school... So I get it! My 1/2 a bottle of wine every other night has been a coping mechanism. Now that i am done with my whole30 I have let myself drink wine again and it has spiraled into other bad habits... So need to cut that back out and find other ways to deal with the stress.

I did several W30s and went back to drinking.  Then last January I did a W100.  I had never gone that long without alcohol in my life.  And you know what I found?  I didn't miss it!  I felt so good without it that I still haven't had a single drink.  I didn't formally "quit drinking", and I may do so at some later date, but when faced with the option, I now prefer Pellegrino and lime.  And I prefer to hit the ground running in the morning, rather than the brain fog that alcohol leaves me with.  It leaves me feeling tired the whole next day, even if I didn't have enough to get a 'buzz'.

Day 15. Half way. I am doing it. 

I played soccer in the backyard last night with the boys. First time in a long time.

What I am also noticing is that time is going by slower for me, which I think is a good thing. When I wasn't doing much, one day just sort of blended into another. My Netflix subscription got used way too much. The months started passing by. Now, I accomplish a few things each day. I feel accomplished at bedtime. 

A test will be coming up Saturday; my oldest turns eight on Friday, and we are hosting a get together on Saturday. There will be about 20 people at our house. We have not planned a meal yet, but I am going to have to figure out what I will be eating so that I don't simply watch others. Also, I will have to be ready for any questions. I may leave it at how I have cut out processed foods, and found foods that are better for my diabetes management. I do not want a boy's party to become the place to explain how I do not follow Atkins, or if cavemen really ate this way, the benefits of whole grains, etc., etc.

AG - what type of food were you thinking of serving, and what ages are your guests? Perhaps we could make suggestions that would be compliant that everyone could enjoy :)

The ages of the kids will be anywhere from 2-12, plus adults. We have thought sandwiches, but then I would want something on the side. I know veggie trays are an option, but it seems like guests usually skip over those so it would be primarily for me. We also thought of grilling, because I eat burgers w/o buns now. Other than that, we are not sure how to appease kids on SAD, adults on SAD, plus AG on his Whole30  ^_^

Drumsticks could be an idea. Then maybe vegetables laid out, some raw and some grilled. I'll think about this, and maybe add one or two other items. When I was teaching, we always had that one kid who brought the healthy food to our parties. It would sadly get taken right back home. This is what you could run into when entertaining; unless you rebuilt your entire circle to include health minded people.

Day 16:

I actually had a few temper problems. My glucose crept up to 140s, because weather limited my chores to indoor work and I did not get to move much outside, whether getting work done or even walking the dog. I am not sure if that contributed, but I was snapping at the wife and boys throughout the day. It is odd, but 140s are now pushing the high side for me. Then I found a roof leak. The third one in three years since we have had this house and until we get an estimate I worry about the cost. This is my first house, so the expenses are completely new to me. I also have limited handy skills, so I never know if a company is taking advantage of us. Our roof was done as an inside job by previous owners, so it was not the best work. I was ready to say **** it and head to Wendy's. So I made myself start cooking before I thought any more about that. 

After I reflect for a bit, I know I just need to slow down, be grateful for what I have, and figure things out. I used to think I ate the way I did simply because I loved food. Now I know it was more than that, and there are issues. The fact that stress led me to think about fast food tells me that I have food emotions to work on.

I am glad that day 16 ended with tilapia, crawfish, and broccoli in butter rather than a bag of crap from Wendy's. If I made it through day 16, I can make it through the next time. 

Great job getting through a hard day AG! Just to clarify...your broccoli was in clarified butter right?

Stress has such a huge impact on our health that most of us just ignore. I'm certain that is a contributing factor in your numbers and your mood. Do you have some in home options for movement when going outside isn't possible? Part of this process is taking a hard look at our environments and habits as well as foods and making those changes as well. Perhaps investing in an inexpensive treadmill or some kettle balls or just looking into some body weight routines you can do at home.

Hope you can get your roof worked out. I've heard great things about Angie's list for finding a good contractor. I've always relied on the recommendations of trusted friends.

Great job getting through a hard day AG! Just to clarify...your broccoli was in clarified butter right?

Oh, of course  :) Clarifying butter is so easy now, I don't see a reason to not get it done. I do not go through too terribly much, so I won't even have to do it often. So whenever I mention butter or a mayo, it is my own. I have used a few recipes from ISWF to make mayo dips as well. I am craving a lot of salads lately, so some of the mayo dressings keep it interesting when I do not feel like oil and vinegar.

The rains are pretty heavy here, most roofers are busy, so I won't have a roof inspection done for a bit. A bad part of my personality is that I always assume the worst, so I have to force myself to slow down and know that solutions will come to me. That is paired with the fact that I analyze just about everything, which can sometimes lead to too many hypothetical worst-case scenarios. Yes, it drives the wife crazy, and all I can do is acknowledge it, breathe, and move on.

Today is a better day so far. The weather is gloomy again with more rain, but I am grateful summer is coming to a close. Florida summers can be brutal, especially with my extra weight. I do have some kettles in the garage that I was instructed on a while back, so I know I need to dust them off soon. I remember how they built a burn quicker than many other workouts. Also, I know the internet is full of resources for bodyweight routines, so I need to piece one together for the off days. I have found I have to at least walk every day, or the glucose goes up. I am also looking forward to local hikes more when the cooler weather comes in.

Isn't it amazing how far we have gotten away from what carried us through eons and centuries?  Most of our modern day afflictions are the result of processed garbage and no exercise.  Our ancestors had no choice, they ate natural foods and had to labor somehow to survive.  We have become so 'advanced' we are driving ourselves to extinction.

Huh, Day 18. 

It feels like I am closing in. I am weighing in on a decision to roll this into a 45 or a 60. I kind of like the rules, and my meal templates are becoming more natural.

I now need about 20 minutes to become coherent in the mornings. Not that it is hard to get out of bed, it is just the amount of time I need before I can handle a conversation. After that, my day is on, and I do not stop until it is wind-down time at night.

I know I have mentioned lawncare before, but today I took care of the lawn again. Afterward, I stared at a corner of the garage that had odds and ends waiting for the county landfill. It has sat there for about six months. Next thing I know, the truck is loaded and I was on my way to the landfill. 

We had our homeschool lessons, did the lawn, did the landfill, completed some random chores, and now there is chicken and asparagus on the grill and beets in the toaster oven. The temps. are down to the 70s, possibly low of 68 tonight. I feel a camping trip coming soon.

I am realizing that I still have a long road. With a starting weight of 278, it is going to take some time to get it off properly. But, this feels like a good start. The kettlebells are staring at me, so I'm thinking of adding them next week. One of my goals is to go kayak shopping in the spring and not have to worry about weight limits. There are a few nice angler kayaks that are limited to 300-350 lbs. So if I took a small amount of fishing gear, I would be at capacity on some of those yaks. 

The ages of the kids will be anywhere from 2-12, plus adults. We have thought sandwiches, but then I would want something on the side. I know veggie trays are an option, but it seems like guests usually skip over those so it would be primarily for me. We also thought of grilling, because I eat burgers w/o buns now. Other than that, we are not sure how to appease kids on SAD, adults on SAD, plus AG on his Whole30  ^_^

I think a bbq (grill?) sounds like a great idea - you could have both compliant and non compliant options, buns for those that wanted them, vegies grilled or raw/salad, compliant dips and sauces. people will eat what they're offered - if you don't have the rubbish, they can't eat it!

you could also have a birthday cake, just not partake in the eating, but perhaps serve it alongside a fruit platter?

Day 20.

I survived my boy's party. The menu was pork roast cooked in the slow cooker, wings and veg from the grill, assorted raw veg (with non-compliant dip as I ran out of time - so I just ate plain), then we included a couple breads such as garlic bread and cornbread that I simply did not need to touch and coleslaw.

I wasn't bothered until the time to pull the cake out. Our theme was Duck Dynasty, and my wife made this brilliant cake of a duck pond, with the Robertsons in duck blinds. I pulled it out of the fridge, and could smell the cake. I did let out an "ah crap." Normally I am not a sweets person; I would rather have seconds than have dessert. But, that cake bugged me. 

I got through, and I met a few of my wife's coworkers which was nice to do. I am left with the dilemma now that we have a bit, quite a bit, of leftover non-compliant foods. I got kind of down, because several RSVP'd, so I planned the amount of food accordingly. Then, several were no call, no show. It seems like that happens a lot to us, but that is something separate for me to figure out. Anyway, my wife has five days off with her schedule right now, and I may request for her to just swing by her hospital to drop off some of the food. Putting food in a work fridge with a sign saying "Please eat" usually takes care of things. 

Afterward, my cousin asked me what I was up to later, and if I was going to drink beer again. I told him I am not sure that I will, because I feel like I am living again, and beer was hell on my diabetes. We used to hang out at each other's house and share a few, but now I see that he needs a drinking buddy. He also drinks beer at 10 a.m. as a "pain killer" for his back, so he has his own set of issues. I told him I can always bring my tea jug and we can still sit out, but he did not respond. 

Beyond that, day 20 will be coming to a close. October 9 should be the day I am stepping on the scale. I am curious, because yesterday I pulled the belt to a new notch. I know that others still see me as a big guy, okay, probably fat, but I sure am feeling good.

AG, your party food sounds great! Well done for staying compliant and avoiding the cake. From experience, they usually smell a whole lot better than they taste!

I think people in general are becoming quite rude when it comes to RSVPing, or not showing up. I've been in the same position as you a few times, and it used to get me down. Now I realise that those that matter/care make the effort to be there and I should enjoy their company rather than worry about those that weren't there. (I'm also good at throwing food out, as much as I don't like waste....but giving it away at your wife's work is a great idea!)

It's a shame your cousin doesn't see that you can hang out without beer and still have a good time together. We have many friends who sound like him and don't invite us to things anymore because we won't eat, or drink. Really?!? I Ike hanging out with people for the company, not the food. They are more bothered by it than me!

I could have written AG's post.  Both about the RSVP/no call, no show thing, and the drinking buddy thing.  When I did my W100, I had a few people tell me to call them when I decided to be 'fun' again.  They wanted nothing to do with me.  I could care less if they drank, but they had a problem if I didn't.

I came to the conclusion that some of my friends have a little voice in their head questioning their drinking behavior, and they try very hard to ignore it.  So long someone else is drinking with you, you can justify it as a 'normal' activity, and convince yourself you don't have a problem.  When your drinking buddy stops drinking, it shines a light on your own behavior that may be quite uncomfortable.  So there is a certain amount of resentment involved.  You are doing what you are doing for your own reasons.  Your drinking buddy is seeing it as a betrayal, or a deliberate attempt to make them look bad.

I found that the only people who had an issue with me not drinking were the people who knew on some level they needed to make some changes, but were being dragged kicking and screaming to that realization.  It sorts itself out eventually.  Those who are truly your friends will come around, and those who only wanted a drinking buddy were never really friends in the first place.  Seriously, if the only thing you have in common is alcohol, how much of a friendship is it?

Good job on the party! For sure have your wife take the extra home.

I am restarting whole30 on october 1st. After 20 days of being off road and reintroducing too much, I feel like crap. So I support your idea of extending if you can manage it! Mentally I needed to finish the 30 days and try other foods again, but overall it has impressed upon me how bad this type of SAD eating is for me. Just needed a break from all the food prep for a while.

Keep up the good work

Regarding the drinking buddy thing - This particular cousin has been a lifelong friend. He is only four months older, and we saw a lot of each other growing up. We lived together during and after college. Then he got married and started changing from his roots. He now lives close enough that I can see his roof from my backyard. Yet I am only invited over to drink beer in his driveway, as the wife does not want my company. I am making changes so that I can live, and I am watching him simply go deeper. He eats out 4-5 times a week, drinks daily, takes about five pills for reflux, has been on anxiety meds, sleeps five hours a night, etc. He thinks he is healthy because he is only 235 at 6'1" and his labs come back fine. Then I warn him that labs can do that, until that one day they slap you with results that show the years of neglect. I guess this Whole30 is bringing many things to the surface.

With the RSVPing, I just do not know what it is about people. While I procrastinate on home projects, if I tell someone else that I will be somewhere or do something, then it is done. My wife and I have had family and friends turn their backs on us so many times that it gets discouraging reaching out anymore. 

Anyway, regarding day 21, I got through it. My wife never took the extra food to her work and grazed on much of it throughout the day. We still have so much. Today was a harder day to resist. Today I was back to hearing her say "I am supporting you in the this," then she sat down with a pulled pork sandwich with barbecue sauce running out and a few other items. To quickly explain, barbecue hits me hard because of the outings I had with my grandpa. We had a lot of one-on-one time over plates of barbecue and that food definitely triggers things for me. Well, I was on the sofa. I asked if she could at least eat at the table, because the smells were hitting me hard. That turned into "well, this is the diet you chose, not me." 

Well, I got through day 21.

Physi - I am going to look into those recipes at least after the first Whole30. Sure I made my own mayo and clarified butter, but I knew that barbecue was different. Until I come to terms with a few things, I viewed making barbecue as Paleo-izing something. I know others are quite different, but it was my go-to food as much as fast food was.

Day 22 - Things calmed down again. We went grocery shopping as a family. I said no to a few things, and others I kept my mouth shut on. I have to balance getting the family on board without seeming too forceful. I know that I had to wait until this clicked with me, and I can not force that click onto my wife or anyone else. Also, I know that I will need perhaps 3-6 months to really shine and put my new health on display. I am thankful the boards are here so I can just type away, then get others' thoughts in return. I also write in my journal, but forums are different because you get feedback. Especially on the rough days, others' thoughts have pulled me through. I know that with time, I will have more and more of my positive posts with fewer and fewer rants.

M1- Three egg omelet with bell peppers, green beans with butter, beets, black coffee

M2 - Pulled pork, spinach with garlic and olive oil, cherry tomatoes

M3 - Burgers with mayo, one tomato, and compliant coleslaw

Other than daily walking, I still have to pin down a regular workout. I have always had problems with consistent workouts that keep me interested. Once a workout is in place, I'll add the pre and post workout meals. I am spending the next few days thinking of turning this into a 60, and add movement as more of a goal. 

Those of you who  turn 30 into 60+, do you step on the scale after 30? I am thinking about at least having a weigh-in on day 31, than staying away again until day 61. As far as a reintro, the only foods I would consider would be cheese (unless I go for 60). I know that grains, legumes, and rice are something I need to pretty much keep out for the next 70 years. I am looking at this from the diabetes standpoint. That is why I question even the cheese. I keep seeing more and more studies about dairy linked to type 1, so maybe I'll start a separate thread for that soon.

Archived