AG's Second Attempt

ArcheoGator

AG, you're doing so well!! even making small steps with your family is better than none, and gradually i'm sure you'll keep moving forward with them.

I turned my whole 30 in to a 60, and didn't get on the scale and just continued on my merry way. i have since, because I have to, not because I really feel like I need to

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I weighed on the 1st of each month during my W100.  It helped to keep me motivated, to see the progress I was making.  In the old days I would weigh daily, even several times a day, and it would make me crazy.  A once a month weigh-in was progress!  This W30 that ends today, I forgot to weigh when I started.  See how far I have come?

I just had to stop by one more time before bed.

I made my condiments for a few days - mayo, guac, and butter. Then, I figured I would finally give caesar a try. I had anchovies sitting in the pantry ready for when I wanted to give it a shot. I made it, gave my wife a spoon, and her eyes lit up. She immediately asked how much I made and how I got it to taste like real caesar.  :D

That led me to thinking about how much we have actually lost. I understand that many people are so darn busy these days. Of course, I don't buy into that 100%, because all the "busy" people I have talked to can tell me all about ten different sitcoms that I have no clue about. Anyway, after making this caesar, I wonder just how much we have lost in making things for ourselves. When it comes to food, so many people do not know their way around the kitchen, and those that do often do not know how simple ingredients can come together to make the foods many of us simply buy prepackaged. I know that this also extends to so many areas of life, as there are many times that I have had to waste money on professionals because I do not know how to do things. I do believe that this Whole30 will launch me into a bit more self-sufficiency. 

Mary - That is amusing that you even forgot to weigh in at the start. I think I will weigh in, since my weight puts me well into the obesity range. For me, I think physically seeing those numbers will be a motivator. Weight, combined with stable glucose levels, combined with energy, etc., etc., would just make a total package for me and this Whole30. 

I have also gone from the every day weigh to the once a month weigh camp. I still have weight to lose which is why I still check it but I also remind myself of all the other positives before I step on and that the weight is the least accurate measure of progress. I had a pretty big loss when I first started eating Paleo and now I lose maybe 1-2 lbs a month. I take tape measurements too and those are far more motivating than the scale number is.

Keep up the great work! 

I have also gone from the every day weigh to the once a month weigh camp. I still have weight to lose which is why I still check it but I also remind myself of all the other positives before I step on and that the weight is the least accurate measure of progress. I had a pretty big loss when I first started eating Paleo and now I lose maybe 1-2 lbs a month. I take tape measurements too and those are far more motivating than the scale number is.

Keep up the great work! 

Physibeth, those 1-2 pounds a month are still miracles to me.  I came here after doing Atkins for several years, having stalled out and struggled mightily just to lose 2 lbs a month.  The fact that I can just eat--not count, not weigh, not log--and lose 2 lbs effortlessly is like Christmas every month.  I am convinced our bodies know what our true set-point is.  If we only continue to feed them properly, they will take us there on their own.  I feel like a passenger on my weight-loss journey now, not the stressed-out, obsessed driver I used to be.

Physibeth, those 1-2 pounds a month are still miracles to me.  I came here after doing Atkins for several years, having stalled out and struggled mightily just to lose 2 lbs a month.  The fact that I can just eat--not count, not weigh, not log--and lose 2 lbs effortlessly is like Christmas every month.  I am convinced our bodies know what our true set-point is.  If we only continue to feed them properly, they will take us there on their own.  I feel like a passenger on my weight-loss journey now, not the stressed-out, obsessed driver I used to be.

I completely agree! I would rather see that steady 1-2 lb loss every month or even just a measurement change and just eat than fret over every calorie and step on the scale every day stressing over every fluctuation! 

Day 25 - I had my first night of insomnia on the Whole30. I am not sure what brought it about, but I just could not get to sleep. So, I slept the morning away. I am hoping that it does not lead to a late night.

In a few more days, my Whole30 will be completed. I have always had a problem with consistency. You know, during New Year's I say, "I am going to walk more," and that lasts ten or so days. That turns to, "I am going to start strength training Monday." That lasts for about three days to a week. Heck, I could not even commit to doing Wii Fit for a week. This Whole30 is showing that I can commit, and I can use it as a launching pad to commit on other things.

I am also reading a couple books on being a SAHD. Unlike many SAHDs, I was not laid off. I had a career in teaching, had a portion of my Master's done, and there were several options I could take for a break from the classroom. I walked away. We planned for a second child. As Americans, one of our first questions when meeting someone is "What do you do?" Then that would launch me into a defensive stance on issues of why we want to keep a parent at home, homeschooling, etc. Some of the issues that can come with being a SAHD were not good for my overall health. So, I am exploring options to help in that aspect.

Finally, in other news, a certain Mrs. started lurking on the boards. Next thing I know, there is an introduction written by another member that sounds exactly like my life. My wife will soon be joining me. I am looking forward to having a partner during all of this, and it will give us a chance to work through things together. 

Welcome to your wife, it sounds like things are truly, I was going to say falling in place but that makes it sound accidental and I know it isn't and yet I can't think of another phrase so I am going to use it, falling into place for you.

My Psychologist left a thriving practice for a number of years to be a stay at home dad and now works just 2 days a week.  I admire him as I admire you and your wife for making what others may think is a crazy decision but the one that makes the most sense for your family. 
Years ago I worked with a woman who when it was discovered she was pregnant with twins her and her husband sat down and they decided he would be a stay at home dad, due mainly to the differences in salary and cost of child care for then 3 children for them to both work.  Different reasons perhaps but still, the decision that is right for the family.

I hope this: “Some of the issues that can come with being a SAHD were not good for my overall health.†Gets easier for you – I have no doubt I am not the only one that wants to stand up and cheer when I meet/hear/etc of a stay at home dad!!

I smiled reading your wife's post - I guessed it was you/her! i'm so glad she's decided to join you - having your support will make it so much easier for her, and from experience, doing these things together is so much better than doing it alone. Even just having her support is nothing compared to actually going through it together! Yipppeeee!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am back! I spent a few days checking the boards when they were messed up due to the transition. I figured I would just take a break from the boards, see how life is like without training wheels, and just check back in at a later date.

Now, my updates.

I made it to my day 30. I did not want to celebrate with food. My wife told me to make room in the budget for a rifle to use for deer and hog. Wow. 

I tried a few starchy vegetables, and found out that my body just does not need too much in that area. Acorn squash and sweet potato sent my glucose up with servings of 1/2-1 cup in size. Glucose going up means more insulin. More insulin means that it will be harder for me to lose weight. One reintro I considered was dairy. I had cheese on otherwise paleo meatloaf, and tried creamer for my coffee. I did nothing else differently. My bowels paid for it. I was curious about this, because I would always have an upset stomach after coffee unless I ate something with it. I thought it was the coffee. Now, I have black coffee and have not had stomach issues. I also remember a few times when I suspected cheese, but could not narrow it down. So, I am now eating foods that would be compliant on a regular whole30.

My father-in-law gave me a compound bow, and I figured I would hit the woods before archery season ends here. It was my first time out for a hunt. This is something I have wanted to do for a while, and just never got around to it. My second day out began watching the sun rise in the Ocala Forest. I managed to send an arrow at a turkey, missing by inches. Within two days, I hiked about five miles through Florida brush. I still sweat a lot, but I move so much better now. I am hooked, and now have a healthy hobby and way of life. 

My wife decided to not begin a formal whole30, and I completely backed off. Backing off was the right thing for me to do, and now we are enjoying our days together. If she wants to try it later, I'm here. She is not eating at restaurants, and does not buy junk food. That alone is causing her to tighten her scrub pants, and for that I am proud of her.

Aside from a couple glucose readings in the 200s while experimenting with high starch vegetables, my readings are between 80-140. I have labs on November 4, and will share those when the results come. I see my doctor on November 11.

So, I am no longer counting the days. I was considering going for a whole60, but I was curious about dairy. Now, it is not about a whole this or whole that, this is how I choose to live and I am actually not concerned about what day I am on. Every day makes me feel better, and my life is coming closer to the way I want it to be. I walk, I kettle, I hike, I play, I fish, I hunt, heck, I even read more now and use the TV so rarely. As for the boards, THANK YOU to all those that used their time to encourage me. There were moments when this forum was the only encouragement I had. I am going to keep viewing the boards, and see what I can do to help others. 

Oh, there are also the scale results. Starting weight was 278.8. On day 31, I weighed 264.4. 

I stepped away when the boards were down.  Just catching up.  Love to hear you are doing so well.  And I love that your wife wants you to put a gun in the budget.  I'm planning to go hog hunting in the next couple of weeks.  And it's snook season, too, so I'm hoping to get a few of those for the freezer as well.  Not planning on bagging a deer just yet, unless I buy another freezer first.    Plus I'm lazy and have very little free time.  Pigs are easier and everywhere down here.  This way of eating has given me a new appreciation for wild-caught food.  In a perfect world, I would never need the meat department at Publix for animals raised on synthetic hormones in feed lots.

I stepped away when the boards were down.  Just catching up.  Love to hear you are doing so well.  And I love that your wife wants you to put a gun in the budget.  I'm planning to go hog hunting in the next couple of weeks.  And it's snook season, too, so I'm hoping to get a few of those for the freezer as well.  Not planning on bagging a deer just yet, unless I buy another freezer first.    Plus I'm lazy and have very little free time.  Pigs are easier and everywhere down here.  This way of eating has given me a new appreciation for wild-caught food.  In a perfect world, I would never need the meat department at Publix for animals raised on synthetic hormones in feed lots.

I am aiming for that perfect world. I hope that within the next five years, I will have the skill and luck to keep the freezer filled. We are actually buying a used chest freezer within the next few days. I wanted an upright, but the cost of this chest will make me gladly put up with it while we get started.

I spent the past couple days scouting, and have a few possible spots for buck, small game, and turkey. I still need to find a wet area for hog. In two days, I put in about 10 miles through fairly thick brush, so I figure this is definitely a healthy way of life. I always enjoyed hiking, but this Florida brush wipes me out. It is nothing like the established hiking trails.

I met up with an old timer I met from a hunting forum that will hopefully become my mentor. I say old timer, but it was me slowing him down. He has been hunting for about 50 years, and is so full of knowledge. He taught me basic tracking and animal behavior, and will be on call if I need cleaning instructions later. I would have gone out with him this weekend if my schedule permitted, but I will have to wait. With the cold front approaching this week, the woods are going to be a wonderful place to be to just connect and enjoy life.

Archived