Coffee use and Gout

I've been a steady over-consumer of coffee for 20 years. I do fine without it; I can get up and be active without it. I've even quit without wild cravings twice. Both times I quit however, I got a massive gout attack. Both times I was without coffee for about 3 months. I've only had one other attack without coinciding with the complete abstention from the morning brew.

I've learned that excess Uric acid builds up and forms crystals in the joints and I can say from personal experience that it is excruciating pain. My podiatrist informed me that a diuretic like coffee can prevent the build up of Uric acid by continually flushing out the kidneys. Now I eat a paleo diet and abstain from alcohol but I haven't chanced the return of the gout by quitting coffee again..

Despite really liking it, I would like to remove coffee from my diet again but don't want the gout flare. Is it safe now that I'm on a paleo diet? Can I just drink a ton of water everyday which is not ideal because if I don't eat a ton of food I get too skinny. Is there a trusted source to learn more about the food/gout connection?

Thanks

Thanks for the link Tom,

The advice in the Q&A warned that high purine foods cause gout attacks and if you are susceptible to gout to avoid them. These include: most organ meats (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and brains), game meats (usually wild animals feeding on natural diets), cold water fish with high EPA/DHA omega 3 EFA's (Anchovies, herring, mackerel, and sardines), asparagus and scallops. I have read in many many paleo/primal and Weston Price people that these are the very foods we should eat consistently for perfect health and longevity. That said is it better to limit these paleo friendly superfoods or keep slugging down diuretic drinks like coffee and tea? My wife and I are considering having our first child. She has already given up caffeine but in my reading it mentioned that in pre pregnancy preparation that I ought to too. It also says to consume as much of I can of the very foods that are on the high purine list that supposedly causes gout. So sacrifice the nutritional foods to eliminate coffee? Sounds like a catch 22.

Any Thoughts?

• Moderators

Yeah, I noticed that the high purine foods included many stars of the paleo world. I don't know the right thing to do here. You might consider a consult with Dallas Hartwig or another member of the Whole9 consulting team. My logic would be to avoid the high purine foods for several months to see if that helps and then maybe after a period of stability, maybe introduce sardines or liver and see if symptoms flare again. Disclosure: I eat liver and sardines regularly.

I'm not sure coffee is sacred for holding off gout attacks; its just a powerful diuretic and simply flushing out uric acid keeps it at bay. My problem is that ever since completely devoting myself to paleo eating, I've got to eat a lot to maintain my current skinny stature and excess water or non caffeinated liquid might fill me without caleries.

Archived