AUUUGH! Do I have to start over?!

rollo

so i've been super careful, reading ingredients.

a friend wanted to get together.  sure i say, as long as no eating. 

or we can cook, she says.

yeah, okay.

so i cut up vegetables, grabbed some 100% organic grass fed beef and an avocado.

we cook.

she cooked some chicken for her and says "i have some left over.  you can have some. it's organic"

i go oh, okay, i'll have some.  so i eat some chicken.

later we're cleaning up and there's a box of organic chicken broth on her counter.  i read the ingredients

it contains:  1) organic evaporated cane juice (natural milled cane sugar)  2) autolyzed yeast extract.

i say "huh. i can't have this" and then she gives me a look...she had cooked the chicken in the broth.

Do i have to start over? 

I've just had a search and found some other mod responses to earlier posts on the yeast extract - from ny understanding while its not something you should be having, your small slip up shouldn't effect you.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11541-yeast-as-ingredient-in-cooking-stock/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2989-yeast-extract/

Knowing how well you're doing, I'd suggest keeping on going....you could extend your whole 30 to a whole30+, like Roz suggested, if you wanted 30 full days free of sugar, but don't let your one little accident derail you!

Thanks, Roz and amberino21. 

Unfortunately, one of the links you sent me, someone had written "I wouldn't start over because of it, unless you noticed any reaction. Your call, though."

and even before i had known there was anything non-compliant in it, my stomach was feeling a little odd about what i had eaten.  so, it's possible that i DID have a reaction. 

damn.

(i actually want to type something much, MUCH harsher than "damn")

i know that starting over just means i'll be doing that much better by the end, but that doesn't make this at all more palatable. 

i had a party i was going to go to after day 30 and was going to possibly have some alcohol.  now, that's out.  and i've been anti-social with food to avoid any temptation (and these type of issues), so now i have to extend THAT another 17 days.

damn.

oh well. 

Honestly, I would not start over because of that misstep. The only thing you had was a very small amount of alcohol. You were not aware of it. It wasn't like you dove face first into a cupcake. If you want to, then just extend reintroducing sugar for 17 days so you go a full 30 days without it.

It is a good lesson for you though. When non W30ers tell you something is compliant, they often don't know the rules so you have to investigate a little.

"Honestly, I would not start over because of that misstep. The only thing you had was a very small amount of alcohol. You were not aware of it. It wasn't like you dove face first into a cupcake. If you want to, then just extend reintroducing sugar for 17 days so you go a full 30 days without it.

It is a good lesson for you though. When non W30ers tell you something is compliant, they often don't know the rules so you have to investigate a little."

I meant a small amount of sugar, not alcohol. :) I would have edited my post, but editing from my phone makes the post look cray cray.

Archived