Bone Broth: How much? How often?

lisawhip

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Uni_corndog0625 said:

I've made a few batches of beef bone broth using oxtail (I think I'm on my fifth batch now) and I never seem to get mine to gel.  I've tried to up the ratio of bone to water, roasting first, adding vinegar, slow stove-top cooking for 42 hrs or so...I've never been able to have mine gel!  Don't get me wrong, I love the taste variations I get each time.  Should I incorporate different bones like chicken bones??  I'd love some input because I really enjoy the project of making the broth in general, I just think I could yield a better product. :)

IT doesn't have to gel to have all the health benefits... however if you want it to gel, the easiest way would be to add chicken feet or pig trotters.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Uni_corndog0625 said:

Thanks! Do you think it's possible to add chicken feet or pig to the broth I've already made and cook it some more? Or would you recommend waiting for my next new batch?

I would wait personally... 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Uni_corndog0625 said:

I'm okay with waiting, I can jazz up a new batch with some different veggies and spices too-thanks for the input!

You could make Tom Kha Gai from what you have existing (just google whole30 tom kha gai).  It's a thai coconut soup that is amazing!  There's a ton of amazing cream of mushroom soups out there too which actually freeze quite well in pint sized mason jars.  I can't WAIT for soup season!

• 6 months later...

Archived