Finally committing to start my Whole30 today

Sherrie

Over the last year and a half we've gone from a completely SAD to an almost exclusive Primal diet. It started with realizing my son (now 5) is VERY sensitive to anything artificial in his food, and my daughter (now 3) is allergic to berries and soy, and has evolved from there as I've realized more and more 'foods' that cause problems.

At first it was just the kids on a special diet while my husband and I ate 'normal' food. But then I got tired of cooking two meals, and having to keep ingredients separate in the house so I decided to just eat what they were eating. My husband is very picky so I've still had to cook 'poisonous' food (as my kids call it) for him. But this last month, he decided that he wants to give it a try, after watching his dad's health deteriorate with diabetes, and so far has stuck with it, even going so far as to get rid of all the tempting foods in the house.

Now its my turn to give it my all, for myself. I've already seen improvements in my health and energy, but I've still got some stubborn baby weight that just will not go away, no matter what I've done. I'm hoping that giving up dairy (black coffee just sounds gross right now) and watching how my body feels instead of just eating because its time to eat will help.

I've also been trying to become a morning person and wake up earlier. I've started going to bed by 10, but I'm still having a really hard time waking up before 7.

So the two main goals I'm hoping for is to lose 10 pounds, and have more energy so that I can wake up earlier.

The hardest thing for me is going to give up is going to be heavy whipping cream in my coffee. Next, it will be to not Paleo-ify something and justify that it is acceptable. (Like homemade icecream, sweetened with honey)

I like the ideas I've read on here to put a big red X on the calendar for each day, and to post what I eat every day. I'm kinda excited, because I think I can really do it this time!

• Moderators

Sleeping 8 to 9 hours is normal, so your "needing" 9 is not of symptom of something being wrong. The energy increase that people often experience is during the day. Instead of suffering a brownout in the afternoon, you should find yourself maintaining an even flow of energy throughout the day once your body becomes fat-adapted and you are not suffering sugar swings.

Hi Sherrie! I'm just finishing my first day but going without my morning latte was really tough. That will definitely take some getting used to....but, like you, I am kind of excited. :) Best of luck to you!!

I tried black coffee with coconut oil and a little bit of coconut milk in it this morning. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I'm not sure if I will try it again or just give up coffee completely for this challenge. I've never put sugar in my coffee, and I've been mostly sugar free for a couple of months (just honey or 100% maple syrup in a few foods).

Day1:

Breakfast: two sips of black coffee before deciding to just not drink it.

Tried herbal tea instead, didn't drink it hot, but poured it over ice and drank it throughout the day.

Lunch: left over eggroll in a bowl from dinner http://www.cookingtf...roll-in-a-bowl/

Dinner: Bacon, chicken, cucumber, tomato

Snack: lara bar, egg, 2 olives, and about 10 cashews

Totally craving sweets by evening. I had a handful of frozen berries just before bed (I started reading "It Starts with Food" today, and I just read that you're not supposed to eat within several hours of bedtime, and that you're supposed to eat breakfast even if you don't feel like it in the beginning. Whoops, do over tomorrow.)

Sleeping 8 to 9 hours is normal, so your "needing" 9 is not of symptom of something being wrong. The energy increase that people often experience is during the day. Instead of suffering a brownout in the afternoon, you should find yourself maintaining an even flow of energy throughout the day once your body becomes fat-adapted and you are not suffering sugar swings.

Thanks for the encouragement. My problem is that although I'm waking up at 7, its with an alarm clock, and its really hard to not just hit the snooze button. I would like to be able to wake up naturally by at least 7, and not feel like I could use another 3 hours of sleep.

Day 2:

Meal 1: two eggs, tomato, hot chili flakes, garlic, salt, Coffee after food, with a tablespoon of coconut oil, and about a 1/4 cup of coconut milk

Meal 2: two eggs, fennel, curry powder tomato

Meal 3: gound beef, bacon, onion, black olives, tomato, avocado (meatza)

Snack: blueberries

Still craving something sweet, that's why I had the blueberries after meal 3. I'm also really tired today. My gut feels sore as well. Its not diarrhea, its just sore, like I can feel my intestines, It could be the hot chili flakes, but I usually eat spicy food so that's not new.

Day 3:

Meal 1: two eggs, bacon,

Meal 2: leftover meatza (without any cheese)

Snack: coconut oil, a spoonful while I made dinner

Meal 3: pizza chili (without cheese), green olives, strawberries, cherry tomatoes

(I made some for me separate, and added uncured pepperoni to the family's chili, I had a bite of thiers to taste it without thinking about it, the pepperoni has dextrose in it, so hopefully that one bite won't screw me up.)

I was helping a friend move today, so I really didn't have time to eat lunch with veggies. But I did notice that I was fine all day energy wise. I was definitely tired and ready for bed by 10pm.

I thought about something sweet after dinner, but it wasn't a craving like the previous couple of days. The strawberries were enough, and I didn't feel like I HAD to eat more of them.

I also FEEL like I've lost some weight. My belly area feels 'emptier', even though I'm not hungry, and I've eaten more in the last couple of days than I usually have. Weighing myself was really tempting today.

Day 4:

Meal 1: 3 Eggs, coffee with coconut oil - I bought some expensive coconut oil, it was much better than the cheap stuff I had tried before, but still not quite right.

Meal 2: salad, strawberries, avocado, bacon, pecans

Meal 3: steak, zucchini

Day 5:

Meal 1: coffee with coconut milk - I bought the good thai kitchen kind and it was actually pretty good this morning

Meal 2: salad, strawberries, avocado, bacon, pecans, olive oil, figs

Meal 3: Beef heart, zucchini, peach

Today wasn't that bad, no cravings, and not too terribly hungry either. It was still hard to get up this morning, I ended up hitting snooze twice. :(

Day 6:

Wahoo! My body woke up all by itself this morning at 615! And Im really hungry too!! My hormones must be getting straightened out!

Meal 1: eggs, mushrooms, onion, bacon, coffee, coconut milk

Meal 2: Salad, ground beef, ground heart, onion, tomato, kombucha (home brewed, I made sure it wasn't at all sweet before drinking it)

Meal 3: Beef Tongue, broccoli

Felt great today, even though I woke up early, I've had plenty of energy all day long. Sweet craving is gone!

Day 6:

Meal 1: almonds, banana, coconut oil, coffee, coconut milk, walnuts, eggs, chicken, bacon

Meal 2: ground beef, mushrooms, tomato, lettuce, bacon, pickle

Meal 3: ground beef, mushrooms, bacon, cow tongue, carrots, broth,

Snack: banana, date

Towards the end of today, I was totally craving something sweet. I'm not sure if its because I started the day off with banana which is sweet, or if I'm PMSing. Either way, I had a banana and a date since its been several days since I've had a sweet craving I'm pretty sure the sugar beast has died off by now.

Because I ate something sweet in the evening though, I noticed that it was hard to fall asleep, and my hormones were messed up because I was cold even though the temperature was the exact same as it has been every other night.

Archived