Job menu help

rebeltart

So... A few months ago I did the whole 30 and I loved it.  I felt good, was beginning to look better -complexion wise.

Then I moved from IL to UT (hooray) for a new job.  However, new job has a set menu.

I am working as field staff for a wilderness therapy company.  I spend 8 days in the field at a time.  Love the job, hate the food.  Later I will elaborate on the menu, but first I will get to the point.

I have been told I can substitute products, as long as they look close enough that the clients cannot tell the difference between theirs and mine.  Please keep in mind I have one small quart pot to cook with over a camp fire with 8-10 other people.  We are allotted about an hour for each meal.

I'd love to make this work as well as I can, and any input or creativity you guys can offer would be so much appreciated.

Here is what we are given on a weekly basis 

powdered milk

powdered butter ( in cold months, we get real butter)

flour

masa

corn meal

cream of wheat

Quick oats

baking powder

salt

brown sugar

pepper

cinnamon

cayenne pepper

powdered cheese product

salted sun dried tomatoes

dehydrated refried pinto beans

2 potatoes

onion

garlic

two apples

two carrots

lime

orange

two tuna pouches

apricots OR figs

sweetened craisins OR raisins

soy nuts OR sunflower seeds

pasta

quinoa

rice or brown rice

sweetened puffed rice style granola

Mondays we typically get another

banana, orange and apple & more oatmeal

we also get a service meal that changes weekly

So, as you can see, it's starch and grain laden.  

I've figured out maybe a few substitutions for the flour I can use, but I would love to make this healthier.  What i'd really love for is the whole organization to put a little more time/effort into nutrition, but that's a whole separate battle.

For now I would love to hear this groups ideas/suggestions.

Otherwise I will end up eating primarily oatmeal and fruit and seeds for 8 days, and pasta.  

Remember; the key is that the clients should not be able to tell what I have is significantly different from standard looking products.  They will be repackaged into baggies.

Thank you so much in advance!

This is going to be a tough one for a couple of reasons; first there isn't a ton of vegetables which as I'm sure you know you are suppose to have 2-3 cups of EVERY meal. Then there isn't any meat. 

My only "creative" suggestion would be jicama "oatmeal". I've never made it but my friends told me it was pretty good and it does look oatmeal-ish. You could probably make it ahead of time and package it up. There are also lots of breads, biscuits, pancakes and muffins you can make with almond and coconut flours but I do not like the texture or taste of almond or coconut flour so I haven't done much with them. Also, I'm sure none of them are Whole30 compliant.

Hope that helps a little......

Wow, that sounds rough! What kind of therapy? Clearly not related to eating healthy, body image or improvements...

I get when you are backpacking, fresh veggies are pretty hard to pack, transport and cook.. Is that part of the issue?

I am sorry to say I don't have a lot of suggestions for you other than fighting to get more veggies added to the list!

Can you make some cauliflower rice ahead of time to make it look like rice?

Can you bring in beef jerky and nuts? Those are typical camping foods that you can make healthy that are missing from this list.

Can you explain/claim a medical condition that requires a different food option?

Swap the sweetened dried fruit for any kind if unsweetened dried fruit?

Where the heck is the protein? I am guessing you are doing a lot of physical stuff, hiking, climbing etc. how can people, your guests, do all this without proper protein?

Good luck and keep us posted! Send pictures, it does sound like a cool job! Except the food part...

• 1 month later...

So, I haven't come up with many improvements.  Aside from replacing the powdered milk with powdered coconut milk.  And replacing the flour with coconut flour.  

The group I'm in can no longer have apples (allergies) and Bananas are out for the season, but we will soon be getting real butter, instead of the powdered butter.  We've also been given cashews or almonds in place of the soy nuts!

This shift my plan is to bring

limes

2 oranges

2 carrots

1 onion

1 bulb garlic 

sun dried tomatoes

2-3 white potatos (I know this is a nono, but with the general lack of anything fresh, i'm opting to eat the fresh potatoes in lieu of  grains) 

craisins or raisins

figs or apricots

dehydrated refried beans (another nono, but trying to find even small amounts of protein in lieu of grain)

cashews or almonds

sunflower seeds

two sunkist tuna packs

quinoa ( yet again, another nono, but i have to eat something)

oatmeal

cinnamon

cayenne

salt

pepper

baking powder

so I'll be leaving behind

couscous ( though i may bring these for an emergency moment because they cook fast)

white rice

pasta

brown sugar

flour

matza

corn meal

puffed rice trail mix

powdered butter

powdered milk

cream of wheat

powdered cheese

I'll be visiting whole foods, and potentially swapping out the regular flour for coconut or almond flour, and the powdered milk with powdered coconut milk.

This is going to be a tough one for a couple of reasons; first there isn't a ton of vegetables which as I'm sure you know you are suppose to have 2-3 cups of EVERY meal. Then there isn't any meat. 

My only "creative" suggestion would be jicama "oatmeal". I've never made it but my friends told me it was pretty good and it does look oatmeal-ish. You could probably make it ahead of time and package it up. There are also lots of breads, biscuits, pancakes and muffins you can make with almond and coconut flours but I do not like the texture or taste of almond or coconut flour so I haven't done much with them. Also, I'm sure none of them are Whole30 compliant.

Hope that helps a little......

It IS really hard to adapt to this diet.  My insides hate me for it.  When I get out of my shifts I go right back to the whole 30, and it helps a lot.    I'll have to give the jicama "oatmeal" a try.  

It's a challenge to prep ahead of time.  It has to look nearly identical to what the company provides, and i have to repack it into ziplock bags and then put it in my food bag.  Aghhh.

Wow, that sounds rough! What kind of therapy? Clearly not related to eating healthy, body image or improvements...

I get when you are backpacking, fresh veggies are pretty hard to pack, transport and cook.. Is that part of the issue?

I am sorry to say I don't have a lot of suggestions for you other than fighting to get more veggies added to the list!

Can you make some cauliflower rice ahead of time to make it look like rice?

Can you bring in beef jerky and nuts? Those are typical camping foods that you can make healthy that are missing from this list.

Can you explain/claim a medical condition that requires a different food option?

Swap the sweetened dried fruit for any kind if unsweetened dried fruit?

Where the heck is the protein? I am guessing you are doing a lot of physical stuff, hiking, climbing etc. how can people, your guests, do all this without proper protein?

Good luck and keep us posted! Send pictures, it does sound like a cool job! Except the food part...

The transporting/keeping fresh is a big issue, which is why their is so much dry product.  

I love the idea of the cauliflower rice, but the kids would smell that, so It's too risky.  

i can only use what is provided meat/nut wise ( though I can swap out the salted for unsalted variation)

So depending on what we are given, I can swap the salted cashews/almonds for unsalted/raw and for the dried fruit i can try to find unsweetened.  

I would love to find a way to sneak protein in.  

Sorry I can not provide photos, it's against HIPPA laws.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

So last shift I brought out coconut sugar, and coconut flour.  I premixed my baking powder with my coconut flour.  It was a complete failure.  Trying to work with the flour was impossible   It was like handling feta cheese.  

I ate a lot of soup.  I think that will be my strategy this next shift also. It's quite a challenge turning down service meals, but sometimes I can eat parts of them.  I think on thanksgiving they give us ham and sweet potatoes!  Hooray...

All I can think of is dehydrated veggies and/or growing something in the wild (if that's an option) for the future (carrots, zucchini, onions)

I'm not sure I understand what a "wilderness therapy company" is, but it sounds like an upsell/product opportunity to offer a different menu to clients with dietary restrictions. You could offer to be the guinea pig for the new product :)

Is jerky banned because of what it looks like? You might be able to shred it in a food processor so it looks closer to a flour.

All I can think of is dehydrated veggies and/or growing something in the wild (if that's an option) for the future (carrots, zucchini, onions)

I'm not sure I understand what a "wilderness therapy company" is, but it sounds like an upsell/product opportunity to offer a different menu to clients with dietary restrictions. You could offer to be the guinea pig for the new product :)

Is jerky banned because of what it looks like? You might be able to shred it in a food processor so it looks closer to a flour.

Haha, i think you've misunderstood in a very big way.

The kids I am working with are troubled kids who've been sent away by their families for therapy.  Similar to a therapeutic boarding school or residential rehab facility.....but out in the middle of nowhere wilderness.  After the kids/young adults finish the program they move onto boarding schools, RTC's or theraputic boarding schools.  

These kids hate the food they are given usually.  We use a bow-drill to start a fire, and then every member of the group cooks what they want from the ingredients they are given (see the list a few posts up)  Some of the kids haven't cooked a day in their life.  As a show of solidarity and encouragement, staff gets the same items.  In fact, staff is encouraged to be as primitive as possible (i.e. we don't have "industrial" backpacks, we use sticks, leather and sinue to build a primitive A-frame pack, attach a dream catcher to hold the weight, and then roll our stuff up in a tarp)  We sleep under a tarp at night, or sometimes just out in the open.  The kids have to carve a spoon to eat, or can be gifted spoons by other group members.  

We're together 24 hours a day.  I can't hide much from these kids - they are sharp, and it would be wrong.  I'm trying to substitute as low key as I can.  

I did a couple of trips with similar companies in Colorado a few years back.  I was able to carry a bit of jerky and fruit leather for my own health (I have diabetes).  I remember my initiation being the same as that of the kids and that it was humiliating, terrifying, and not at all therapeutic.  I ended up leaving because it simply wasn't what I wanted to give kids in nature.

That said, aside from dehydrated veggies, perhaps you can have powdered eggs in one of your baggies.  You could dehydrate your own veggies to add to soup.  I'm not sure where to get powdered eggs, but I know that they exist.  

And, know that you can't help them if you aren't taking care of you first.  If that means a bit of nourishment on a trip to a cat hole, I don't see it as being a big ethical issue.

• 2 weeks later...

What about dehydrated white mushrooms.  You could dehydrate them and then grind them to a powder that you could make into a soup.

I just put a few white mushrooms in my dehydrator to see if they stay white. I think I used kuzu root to thicken soups before. 

Powdered eggs  may ook like the corn meal and are easy to make in a dehydrator. 

There is also a pumpkin seed powder on amazon that is high in protein.  The price is high, I would probably also try to dehydrate some pumpkin seeds and then put them in a coffee bean grinder  and try to find a way to get them into a soup or bread as a way to add some protein into your meals. 

If i have time next weekend I will try out some of these,  It would not hurt to have some dried soup mixes on hand for quick meals. 

Good luck. 

Another item that you may consider is dehydrated bone broth.  momsneverendinglist has a dehydrated recipe she calls traveling bone broth that has very detailed instructions.   The picture she shows on the site is a yellow color that may look like corn meal.   

What a mixed message your employers are sending these kids - carve your own spoon to eat your highly industrialized food - seems like a problem in ethics more than a whole30 topic.

I'm loving some of these ideas!  While I agree about the diet, I'm not about to start a fight with the state over it.  I don't have the time or energy to throw into a project like that ( not that I wish someone else wouldn't ;) )  

Last shift was a 12 day shift complete with a snow storm.   I got frost bite on my feet and currently can not walk (temporary) due to pain. I've been given Gabapenthen, ibuprofen 800's, and percoset.  It really sucks, anyways.  

Thanksgiving turned out to be really nice, the company supplied us with ham,mashed potatoes, yams,stovetop stuffing (gross), salad, rolls and pumpkin pie.

Yep.  I ate a third of a cost-co pumpkin pie.   I was disappointed, but at that point I wasn't even really thinking clearly due to circumstances being absolutely insane.  Poor excuse I know.  

Due to the frostbite, I have my next shift and then the holiday off!  So I've got some time to internet shop and experiment.   

I've decided that in the future, I will sneak out a few food items for myself and be very careful to remove them from original packaging and keep them separate fro my food items around the kids.  My altruistic tendencies and motivations, while good, are preventing me from being as healthy as I can/want to be.  If that means sneaking a few extra tuna packets, then so be it.  

I can't wait to experiment with powdered eggs.  I love eggs and if I could somehow get those I would be a pretty happy girl.  

Also the broth idea is wonderful.  I would much rather use that as opposed to the salty mess they give us chicken bouillon  

Thank you for the suggestions!

Archived