Pumpkin- what are some yummy recipes??

Nikknak

I grate it in to frittatas and omelettes, it's also delicious roasted in ghee.

Pumpkin soup is delicious - I roast mine first, with whole cloves of garlic before simmering with cooked leek or onion, stock/herbs/spices etc. you could add some coconut milk for creaminess.

I also like pumpkin in curry, or in salad - mixed leaves, roast pumpkin, caramelised red onion (I just cook it for a long time  over low heat with ACV and some salt), pine nuts and balsamic is yum!

I just made a really great recipe tonight--pumpkin custard! It's like pumpkin pie without sugar, though I did add a few raisins to give it a touch of sweetness. The recipe is paleo (calls for maple syrup) but easily whole30-fied. And you can zap it in the microwave for about 8 minutes rather than baking, if you want. It's 100 degrees here now, so I microwaved it. :P

See here: http://www.grassfedgirl.com/pumpkin-custard/

I just made a really great recipe tonight--pumpkin custard! It's like pumpkin pie without sugar, though I did add a few raisins to give it a touch of sweetness. The recipe is paleo (calls for maple syrup) but easily whole30-fied. And you can zap it in the microwave for about 8 minutes rather than baking, if you want. It's 100 degrees here now, so I microwaved it. :P

See here: http://www.grassfedgirl.com/pumpkin-custard/

As custard is a dessert, this wouldn't be Whole30 compliant. It would be fine to enjoy after a Whole30.

Pumpkin and butternut squash are two different things, but they taste very similar. I've cooked with real pumpkin before. Usually you cut it in half and bake it and scoop out the flesh. But it's VERY stringy and coarse. I like butternut better. I've been making butternut soup that tastes remarkbly like pumpkin pie! I think I will try to make a butternut pie for Thanksgiving with no sugar and coconut milk.

If you do want to use a real pumpkin, the orange ones that people make Jack-O-Lanterns out of aren't the best. Look for something called a sugar pumpkin. Usually they are smaller and not that orange.

Archived