Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)

lilypad

Is cacao a bean or a nut? I've seen from a few sources that it's a nut/seed.

From Wikipedia -Cocoa bean (also cacao bean,[1] often simply cocoa and cacao; Mayan: kakaw; Nahuatl: cacahuatl) is the dried and fully fermented fatty seed of Theobroma cacao.

My questions is kind of around this change. I used to enjoy plain 100% cacao blended with a banana in water. Since starting the Whole30 I've avoided this combo thinking it is a dessert replacement. Now, attempting to make Whole30 more sustainable, I'm thinking of adding one of these 'shakes' in 1-2 times a week or when that chocolate 'kick' sounds good :)

Treating the banana as one of my 1-2 servings of fruit a day, I should be ok, eh?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

How about using cocoa powder in energy balls or bars? I'm not exactly looking for a sweet treat but I need something easy to eat before I work out and eating breakfast makes me feel too full and sluggish when I work out. I was thinking if I made energy balls (dates, almonds, coconut, maybe cocoa powder?) I could eat a couple of those and get enough energy to workout while not getting over full. Is it acceptable in that context?

Benji - I think as an occasional treat there's nothing wrong with it. If you're eating your coconut flakes after every meal or every night after dinner because you're replacing previous regular type of dessert, I'd say that's a problem. The issue we have with "replacements" is not that those replacement foods are inherently bad, but that the behavior might be one worth putting an end to. We want everyone to learn new effective eating behaviors.

Archived